Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Enigma???

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

As you can see, I go through "spurts" when thinking about the practical aspects of optics. Now I'm reading an article in Vision Monday about the Enigma lenses- which have a 16 base curve. Are these going to be Rx-able? If so, what are the advantages of having a +16 base curve?

The article mentions a wider distortion-free field of view, so I take it they are Rx-able. Guess they'll have to be commercials like the Pontiac commercials (except these will say "Steeper is better...").

Pete

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

It said they would be available for -1.00 to +4.00 single vision, at least initially. It'll be interesting to see how they turn out...

Blake

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

I've always been a fan of higher base curves, but WOW! It will be interesting to see how it works out. Since the lenses curve so much, I imagine the angle of incidence in the periphery will be more perpendicular (plus the fact that the "bad" portion of the lens will get tucked behind the peripheral vision of the patient).

Pretty neat stuff any way you look at it...

Pete

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Originally posted by Pete Hanlin:
    Since the lenses curve so much, I imagine the angle of incidence in the periphery will be more perpendicular (plus the fact that the "bad" portion of the lens will get tucked behind the peripheral vision of the patient).
    You are right on the money, Pete. These "contoured" lenses have a nominal curvature that is roughly equal to the curve described by the eye as it rotates behind the lens at its vertex distance. Consequently, the vertex distance from the lens remains relatively constant as the eye rotates behind it, and the line of sight remains more orthogonal to the lens -- even at highly oblique angles of view.

The result can be quite impressive. In addition to excellent peripheral clarity, both distortion (the bending of lines and such) and chromatic aberration are significantly reduced with these steeply curved lenses. This is particularly beneficial, since Enigma is available in polycarbonate. Minus-powered Engima lenses also minify less than conventional spectacle lenses.

I believe that SOLA should have some technical papers on Enigma available very soon.

Best regards,
    Darryl Meister
    SOLA Technical Marketing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Darryl
    What do you perceive as a potential problem relative to lenses breaking under conventional head presures. Seems to me that even though these may be poly, isn't the risk of lenses snapping greater with lower powers or thicknesses and higher curves?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Conventional head pressures? Alan, are you referring to manufacturing?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Has someone re-inventied the origional Zeiss Puntal system perhaps?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Originally posted by Alan W:
    Darryl
    What do you perceive as a potential problem relative to lenses breaking under conventional head presures.
    Hi Alan,

Actually, special edgers had to be designed for these lenses, since they are so steep. (I believe that there is also one or two patent applications in for this.) The angle of the bevel, for instance, was a big challenge. I'm not sure how much of an issue head pressue was, but I'm sure that they would have reduced it on the edgers if necessary.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Originally posted by chip anderson:
    Has someone re-inventied the origional Zeiss Puntal system perhaps?
    No, the Zeiss Punktal lenses were designed with conventional best form "corrected curve" base curves, so they are much flatter than Engima.

For you opti-buffs, conventional corrected curve lenses follow the lower Ostwalt branch of Tscherning's ellipse -- while Enigma lenses are closer to the steeper Wollaston branch (which produces less distortion and chroma). If I remember correctly, Engima currently uses about a 16 D base curve. This is about 10 D than conventional plano lenses.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

JRS
    I'm sorry. I forgot to check back to this board. I was referring to edger head pressure and what settings will work best if selectable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi, Darryl
    I really hope the concept flushes out in the field because it makes so much sense. It'll make a lot of people happy. As for the edger issue, I sense its time for change in that technology anyway. New lens, new finishing processing.
    I have personally seen, although under highly experimental conditions, a dual beam YAG edger that does one cut/safety bevel/edge polish all in one rotation of the lens. A YG groover for the second rotation. I haven't the slightest idea about how the beam was controlled, but I have worked quite a bit with a YAG in prototypical work to create cliches for a new contact lens printing tech. Just happens to be in the hands of a major CL company that was part of the gobble fest last year.
    I think lasers are around the corner, and if so, Enigma and all the generations to follow, may be the paradigm shift we need.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Hi Alan,

That seems like some neat technology... But just imagine that kind of power in the wrong hands! ;)

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Yeh, I know.
    I couldn't resist the temptation to see what it did to, like humans. When I did the CL coloration technology work . . .
    I put the tip of my finger just next to the beam.
    Uhhhh . . . don't do what I did. That was very stupid!
    By the way . . I understand the CL coloration technology work I was part of was announced a few days ago by Ocular Science.
    That's neat!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What ever happened to this lens?

Toast

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I know they renamed it Contour Optics by SOLA. Is that a fact, mrba? No longer manufactured? I was disappointed when SOLA sent me an Email saying that they did not make this in a progressive.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-27-2004 at 03:45 AM.

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yes, we still make them:

http://www.solatechnologies.com/prod...ntour/contour/

Best regards,
    Darryl

Perhaps Mr Meister can reveal the truth?

Oops, I think we just posted at the same time, and It makes more sense that this go before DM. Oh well, thanks Darryl.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Darryl, is this the same as the Spazio lens? ( I am not sure I spelled that right :) )

P.S. on a different subject, thanks for finally getting us in touch with someone at Sola-Colleen is the greatest!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    Darryl, is this the same as the Spazio lens?
    OFFICIALLY: Wait for Darryl. UNOFFICIALLY: They are NOT the same product. Spazio is a line of prescription wrap sun lenses. Contour Optics by SOLA first came out under the product name "Enigma": This is a FRAME AND LENS product featuring panoramic (wide angle) vision, with very specialized optics! Available in clear and brown sunglass tint. Use these Web links to display product page summaries in new browser windows. Point and click!

Contour Optics by SOLA

Spazio
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-27-2004 at 03:44 AM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    UNOFFICIALLY:...
    That pretty much sums it up.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by karen
    P.S. on a different subject, thanks for finally getting us in touch with someone at Sola-Colleen is the greatest!
    So I am reading this again and when I said finally-it sounds like you took a long time in getting us in touch with someone which is not what I meant. You were on the ball right away! Thanks!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Daryl,

Won't this present problems with base curve issues? I mean people freak with a curve change of 1D but a 10D change?
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Most people are that sensitive to base curve changes, and can usually adjust to the differences within a week or two. Essentially, the brain just has to re-map the world through the lenses. Many high-index lenses, for instance, are significantly flatter than conventional hard resin ("best form") lenses, yet wearers adjust to them quite quickly ("color fringing" and that sort of thing is usually a bigger concern).

Contour Optics also produce less distortion than conventional lenses, which actually makes vision feel more natural right away.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Thread Information