Thread: ARG! PITA Customers!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry ARG! PITA Customers!

God! It gets under my skin when some idiot tells me why his glasses are wrong. You know their ideas are always based on inaccurate assumptions they've made. Ugh...why don't people respect their Opticians??
    This guy just INSISTED that I 'tighten' his nosepads to keep them from slipping forward. I explained that the temples keep them up, and moving the nosepads would put the progressive out of alignment. He insisted, so I did, then he can't see distance. He told me I was an idiot and stormed out, promising to call the Dr. (my boss). I look forward to that. Doc always backs me up.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just yesterday I had a woman tell me that that "thing" on the glasses would cause eyestrain after reading with them. When I asked what thing she was reffering to, it turned out she was talking about the bridge. I told her I could remove it, but then she would have two monocles. (sigh)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've seen this a million times....I always tell them I'll do the adjustment they are requesting, but actually do what will fix the problem and they are none the wiser....

Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    God! It gets under my skin when some idiot tells me why his glasses are wrong. You know their ideas are always based on inaccurate assumptions they've made. Ugh...why don't people respect their Opticians??
    This guy just INSISTED that I 'tighten' his nosepads to keep them from slipping forward. I explained that the temples keep them up, and moving the nosepads would put the progressive out of alignment. He insisted, so I did, then he can't see distance. He told me I was an idiot and stormed out, promising to call the Dr. (my boss). I look forward to that. Doc always backs me up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL Mullo

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have a guy who purchased a frame very similar to his and was upset that I did not put his trifocals in the same place, no matter how many times I tried to explain to him no matter te size the ft is different he had me cut a new pair anyway. Now he i back saying the line is clipping his vision when they were fine before (just the way he liked them).
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Patient brings in a mangled/flattened frame in for repair because she sat on them. I fix said frame (I'm quite good with my hands, you know...) and she proceeds to tell me that "these frames" should be better made.

(and I forgot to turn off the INNER MONOLOGUE switch that day) And I immediately respond:

"Ma'am, I just don't think eyeglass frames are made for our bottoms to see through."

:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No no no...
    Say, 'Hindsight is 20/20!'

Occupation
    LOLROF!

I will try and remember that one!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had two annoying situations on Friday..

1st is a patient sends in her husband to pick up and pay for contacts. As he is paying me he comments that it is too bad his wife won't be coming to us anymore. When I inquired why, he said cause we couldn't get her insurance information right..

Uhmm. .Lets see here. She HAD VSP last year. She doesn't have it this year. I told her this before the exam. We talked about it at the end of the appointment. I told her to check with her employer to find out who vision coverage is through, and I would gladly refund her exam fee and submit through insurance. She claims it is Anthem. NO Anthem is her medical coverage and they don't have record of her vision coverage (I called them! 3 times for her!) It isn't through any of the current plans we carry. Told her again at the end of the fitting process that I would be more than happy to help her with the insurance matters if she could just call or talk to her HR rep and find out who her vision coverage is through. When she calls to say she was sending him in for CLs, I asked about insurance again.. and she replied she was just screwed.

So now her hubby is here, picking up contacts making a scene in my store.. because we don't have her insurance. I explain once again that with out knowing who is her insurance provider, I can not find out about coverage. If I had a name and a phone number, I would be more than happy to call. AS it was, her last plan was VSP exam plus, so they had no materials coverage prior anyway! I mean, how hard is it call your HR department instead of yelling at me "I pay for it, so I have it!"

The second incident was a family telling me that I didn't know when their children were in last. Parent schedules appt for 3 boys all on medicaid. I call them up on Friday to tell mom that 2 of the boys aren't eligible cause it wasn't a full year since they were in last. She insists that they came in 2 weeks after school started last year. I reply that in 04 yes, the 2 in question came in in August, but the other one came in Nov. Then last year all three came in Oct, after no showing for appts in August. Mom told me I was lying.

I explained that according to the records I have on the exam card, statement, and medicaid reimbursement they all were seen mid Oct. In fact, since we saw her one son early last year, we were only reimbursed for the refraction, and didn't get paid for the rest of the exam and glasses. So her son got a free exam and glasses last year, and since it didn't use his benefit for last year, that is why the one is eligible when the others are not. While it was a bonus to her, it was a error on our part and we need to make sure the doc will get paid for all time and materials this round. Current eligibilty says the 2 aren't eligible for optometric services.

She still insists that I am lying, and trying to keep them from using their benefits. I told her that she could call the caseworker and ask him about it. She came in and looked at the Medicaid EOB and said we filled out the wrong date and that is why everything is screwed up. Didn't want to see the lab invoices...

The sad thing is that I spent soo much time trying to rationalize with these people....that I had to go in on my day off to make sure all was set for Monday.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Sorry to hear, Jubilee. Everyone I talk to who takes insurance has had experience with these patients with highly pronounced entitlement issues.

Thread Information