Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hoya i.d.: My new, NEW Favourite!!!!!

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    I ordered my first Hoya ID yesterday morning. Here are the specifics.

Old Rx and lens parameters
    -2.25 +2.50 x 35
    -1.75 +2.00 x 150
    add +2.00
    Poly Comfort, 21mm high, un-coated, first PAL, easy adaptation.

New Rx
    -2.50 +2.50 x 42
    -1.75 +2.00 x 150
    add +2.25
    1.67 ID, 19mm high, coated.

Both pair have the fitting cross central pupil and 12mm vertex distance.

I'll follow up after they're dispensed.
    Dispensed this morning. Slight improvement in distance acuity, probably due to the Rx tweak OD. Distance peripheral vision noticably better then the Comfort, and this extended down into the intermediate and near zones.

Near vision acuity was the same (I placed +.25 over the old left). He commented that the area of clear vision when looking at the newspaper (I keep one by the dispensing table) seemed much larger, essentially without boundaries or blur zones.

Overall, impressive off-axis performance considering that the ID is a short corridor design. How much of the improvement can be attributed to the atoricity or the "voodoo optics" is unknown, probably the latter, considering that there was no apparent increase in acuity at near.

Next up, a high minus moderate cyl to be dispensed early next week.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Win C View Post
    I will be dispensing a pair of 1.7 Hoyalux ID to a customer in about 2 weeks time. This customer of mine is a first time wearer of progressive lenses. Will give a full report once she comes in to collect them. :cheers:
    Is Hoyalux ID a new product of PAL?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    I am curious to hear the comment from Hoya ID wearer.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

1st time PAL wearer

I dispensed a first timer in the Creation originally. This patient is a YOUNG 76 yr lady who has never really worn glasses in her life. I pretty much told her that getting used to a PAL would be difficult, especially since she only wears correction for DV. We gave it 3 weeks with no positive results.

Pt. was very motivated, so I explained the id and she decided to try them and paid the difference.

It's been three weeks since and she stopped by to tell me that the lenses are "night and day" compared with the first pair. Although she prefers to work close up without any glasses she is extremely happy with the noticeable lack of swim and the wide viewing area. (For shopping :p )

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My customer had just came in to collect her glasses. she had never worn a pair of progressive before. She is about 50 years of age. Her prescription was -8.00 R and L. and her new RX is
    R-8.25 Add 1.75
    L-8.25 / -0.50 x 170 Add 2.00

She was motivated and wanted to try progressive and she also wanted rimless frame and the thinnest possible and the "best lens" there is. I recommended the hoya id 1.7 as it is easy to fit and took about 10 days for the lens to come in.

Her first reaction when she put on her new glasses is "it's very clear". This is probably due to the slight change in her prescription as well as the lenses being new therefore giving improved clarity.

As this is her first pair of progressive, she probably does not know what to expect. So I asked her to stand up and walk around looking at the floor and walking up and down a small step. She actually jumped down the step and did not have the feeling that the floor "higher". I asked her to look down and if she feel like "floating" she said no. I also asked her to move her head side to side to see if she experience any "swim" effect and she said no. She is also very happy with her near vision and has very "wide" field of vision with no peripheral blur.

From my experience, patients with high minus prescriptions like this patient almost always have little adaptation problem with progressive anyway.

Patients with low minus or plus are always a challenge with progressive. I will try to fit more of these prescription with the id. But this itself is a challenge because the id is an expensive lens.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Did you remember the thickness of the lens edge for -8.25 with Hoya iD 1.7? What's the lens size?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Hoya ID and izon?

Do any of you have experience dispensing the izon lenses AND the Hoya ID lens? If so how would you compare your results?
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Occupation
    Who makes izon?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Ophthonix (sp?) makes the iZon...it is their wavefront based lens which is very individualized and verrrrrry expensive.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong View Post
    Did you remember the thickness of the lens edge for -8.25 with Hoya iD 1.7? What's the lens size?
    THe eyesize is about 45 to 46 and not much decentration. Edge thickness is estimated to be about 4mm (i did not really measure the thickness). Cosmetically it looks fine to me. SHe had originally wanted something with an eyesize of about 49 to 50 but I advised her against it. Otherwise she would have questioned if I had given her a 1.7 index lens.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Samuel,

I'll be dispensing this Hoya ID 1.70 tonight.

-8.75 +1.50 x 120 add 2.25 3.75mm above center
    -9.50 +1.75 x 43

CT 1.1mm 48 eye 4.25mm in OU no roll

ET = 5.5mm right 6.00 left
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    Ophthonix (sp?) makes the iZon...it is their wavefront based lens which is very individualized and verrrrrry expensive.
    Do you have to buy any type of typogropher?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Win C View Post
    THe eyesize is about 45 to 46 and not much decentration. Edge thickness is estimated to be about 4mm (i did not really measure the thickness). Cosmetically it looks fine to me. SHe had originally wanted something with an eyesize of about 49 to 50 but I advised her against it. Otherwise she would have questioned if I had given her a 1.7 index lens.
    Thanks.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Samuel,

I'll be dispensing this Hoya ID 1.70 tonight.

-8.75 +1.50 x 120 add 2.25 3.75mm above center
    -9.50 +1.75 x 43

CT 1.1mm 48 eye 4.25mm in OU no roll

ET = 5.5mm right 6.00 left
    Robert,

The information is very useful for me. It seems that Hoya has not launched this type of lense in my country yet, or I don't notice it.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Optigrrl said:
    Do you have to buy any type of typogropher?
    I think it is about $30,000 and it is an abborometer, to measure the abberations on the cornea + other functions.

The only problem I have with the technology as I know it is the wavefront buzz word, which can be used for laser surgery on the eye, does have a defined use that I can understand when it come to the eye. Refraction accuracy can surly be improved I am not convienced that this type of technology offers real benefit for the patient compared to other forms of individualized lens designs that eleminate or minimize the abberations in the lens.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The other thing to keep in mind is the accuracy of the aberrometer. Aberrometers use what is called a Hartmann-Shack lens array to determine the overall aberration. This array can have anywhere from 30 to hundreds or thousands of lenses and hence measurement points. The spaces between these points are averaged, so the higher the "resolution" is the more accurate the wavefront. This is very important, and it means that not all custom LASIK is the same because different platforms use different levels of measurement.

I have no idea how accurate the aberrometer is from ophthonix.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    [quote=Win C;158373]My customer had just came in to collect her glasses. she had never worn a pair of progressive before. She is about 50 years of age. Her prescription was -8.00 R and L. and her new RX is
    R-8.25 Add 1.75
    L-8.25 / -0.50 x 170 Add 2.00

Now we're talking more my speed. I am preparing to order a set of Hoyalux iD in their eyas 1.6 material. Hopefully these will give me a bit better vision than my current specs due to new refraction. I'm going with their 1.6 instead of their higher indexes because I am one of those who experience a large degree of abberration due to low ABBE. Their Abbe is IIRC about 42 on theirs, so that might do for me, as currently I'm wearing Spectralite.
    My new Rx is:
    -12.25 -2.50 X16
    -12.25-2.50 X166
    Add 2.75
    Previously I have been unable to wear 1.6 index or above. I'm hoping advances in materials have made this possible. And no, I have no illusions about AR helping cancel ABBE-related problems.

Ironic isn't it - that the people who need the thinnest lenses often can't wear them because of poor optics.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Aargh! Seems the iD only comes in the 1.67 or higher. Guess I'll have to settle for the Summit instead.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Aargh! Seems the iD only comes in the 1.67 or higher. Guess I'll have to settle for the Summit instead.
    I believe the ID comes in 1.60, 1.67 and 1.70 materials.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    In the US, HOYALUX ID is currently only available in 1.67 and 1.70 index. The Abbe value on the 1.70 is 36, which is higher than most other high index products.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gee, I'm kinda glad to see such positive initial

reaction to Hoya ID...

I'm hopin' it proves to be as good as early adopters are sayin'...cause....

then maybe Essilor will buy Hoya'a technology, and I'll get it with Alize Clear gard, and from my Essilor lab...

(hee hee...)

Barry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    reaction to Hoya ID...

I'm hopin' it proves to be as good as early adopters are sayin'...cause....

then maybe Essilor will buy Hoya'a technology, and I'll get it with Alize Clear gard, and from my Essilor lab...

(hee hee...)

Barry
    No disrespect to Essilor, but Hoya's SuperHighVision is far superior to Alize, even with Clearguard. (I use both products)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    No disrespect to Essilor, but Hoya's SuperHighVision is far superior to Alize, even with Clearguard. (I use both products.)
    Just out of curiosity - although I am an Rx lens wearer myself - I wonder if anyone would like to expand on that? What do you see that makes the one AR treatment definitely superior to the other one?

I haven't yet used a pair of eyeglasses with AR, but I'm well read on the subject, as to the information and opinions that are available online.

I am aware that this subject has been kicked around a lot on OptiBoard before, but Crizal Alize Clearguard is a brand new product - and I don't think that I have read a post about this before from optigrrl ...

Yours truly.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 10-16-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    Just out of curiosity - although I am an Rx lens wearer myself - I wonder if anyone would like to expand on that? What do you see that makes the one AR treatment definitely superior to the other one?

Yours truly.
    For me, it's durability of the coating that makes one superior to the other.
    Hoya's AR coating can last for 3 to 5 years before the hard coat starts to crack with the multicoat still intact.

Inaddition, I hardly (or never) get any complaints of AR problem from Hoya lens user.

Occupation
    Rinselberg -

Coatings are not so tangible as progressives to do a user comparison on, this opinion has more to do with technical information. I am not saying that Alize w/ Clearguard is a bad product. I dispense it and consider it a top-tier coating.

The Bayer ratings list Hoya's SuperHighVision as the most resistant to abraisions. Alize is about halfway down that list.

That is not to say that Alize is going to scratch easily, it just tells me that SuperHighVision is just going to survive abraision a little better than Alize. AZ is notorious for it's dirt being abraisive - sand and all. So you can imagine the importance of a good hard coating out here.

SuperHighVision and Zeiss Carat (Europe ONLY) are the only 2 coatings that match substraits. Less chance of failure by separation, truer abbe values. (Abbe values can be affected by the abbe value of the coating - any coating applied to a lens surface)

When the abbe value of the coating is not matched to the abbe value of the lens material you see a 'rainbow' effect on the surface of the lens. Chromatic aberration to a degree. You don't get this with Hoya products.

Alize with Clearguard is a great coating, easy to clean and anti-static. Teflon, on the other hand seems to almost 'attract' dirt to it's surface. This is a factual, personal comparison between Teflon and Alize regular. (OOoooo - I'm gonna get dinged on my reputation points for that!)

There. Now you have your comparison.

And shame on you, Rinselberg :finger: :p

Don't you know that without an A/R coating you are missing between 8%-11% of your prescription because of reflected light? Don't you want more natural vision?
    Last edited by optigrrl; 10-16-2006 at 11:36 PM.

Thread Information