Thread: Facts on Safety frame do's and dont's

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter PNKansas's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Question Facts on Safety frame do's and dont's

I have worked for a few different labs in the past and it has never been told to me why each lab has different takes on what to do with a Z87.1 or a Z87.2 Frame.
    Some labs tell me that if they receive a Z87.1 or .2 frame that regardless if the account requests safety thickness or not they had no choice but to put safety thickness lenses with monograms into the frame.

Other labs tell me that they will put anything that the account requests in the frame that comes in regardless of what type of frame is supplied or ordered.

I would just really like to have someone with a link of documentation on the topic of what a lab should follow (if there is any??).

My impression is that if it is a Z87.1 or .2 we follow the standard and place Safety thickness lenses into the frame and monogram them to be on the safe side. However I need some official documentation to back this up OR to deflate it completely...can anyone offer the help, or location to where I can get this information.

Thanks

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper we follow the standard and place Safety thickness lenses

A frame is a frame and you can mount anything you want and anything thats possible.

However if the pair of glasses are going to a safety glasses contract and are being used in a industrial workplace you have to follow the guidelines.

Occupation
    In the US, you will find the documentation that you seek in the OSHA Regulations (I leave it to you to do the research.) You may only glaze safety frames with safety lenses, no exceptions. The principal consideration being that the Z87 identifies the product as meeting OSHA requirements to both the employee and the employer.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Chris, Baker's right.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, Baker is correct.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It all comes down to protecting yourself from liability. If the finished product meets Z87 standards, you've got some protection. But if the frame and lenses do not meet the standard in spite of being labeled as such, you're just asking for trouble.

PNKansas: What is your perspective in the argument (i.e. a lab person whose account want to put regular lenses in a Z87 frame, or an optician who wants their lab to do this)? I'm just curious.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I the U.S. it's the law. Like most laws especially those pretaining to the optical industry, it has little to do with the real world but, It's the law.
    From a technical standpoint you can put anything you want in safety frames or you can put safety lenses in non-safety frames but it ain't legal.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter PNKansas's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake View Post
    It all comes down to protecting yourself from liability. If the finished product meets Z87 standards, you've got some protection. But if the frame and lenses do not meet the standard in spite of being labeled as such, you're just asking for trouble.

PNKansas: What is your perspective in the argument (i.e. a lab person whose account want to put regular lenses in a Z87 frame, or an optician who wants their lab to do this)? I'm just curious.
    In my opinion if an account wants me to put non-safety lenses into a safety frame I have an issue with it. If my account insists that I do it then I would like to have them OK it verbally over the phone. However my stand on it is that if it is a safety frame then it needs to be safety lenses without any question. However you might know as well as I do that you don't want to loose any business over a low volume request such as this might end up being in the end. I just wanted everyone's perspective on it. I will do the research that Baker is suggesting though so that I can have a firmed knowledge on this topic and be able to offer my findings to my accounts so that this can be minimized completely if possible.
    PNKansas

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    There is legal exposure if you put non-complaint lenses into a safety frame. The wearer could infer the entire device provides protection that it does not. Safety frame companies even mark their demo lenses in ways that reduce the risk that the device is used with demos in place - (1) lenses scratched when removing markings, or (2) with a specific warning that the lenses are not safety complaint.

A customer might express the desire but memories can change if there is an accident.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by PNKansas View Post
    In my opinion if an account wants me to put non-safety lenses into a safety frame I have an issue with it. If my account insists that I do it then I would like to have them OK it verbally over the phone. However my stand on it is that if it is a safety frame then it needs to be safety lenses without any question. However you might know as well as I do that you don't want to loose any business over a low volume request such as this might end up being in the end. I just wanted everyone's perspective on it. I will do the research that Baker is suggesting though so that I can have a firmed knowledge on this topic and be able to offer my findings to my accounts so that this can be minimized completely if possible.
    PNKansas

I wouldn't put non safety lenses into a safety frame no if's, ands, or buts.
    Our society is too "sue happy". A verbal ok over the phone wouldn't hold up in court (he said/she said) - a written disclaimer MIGHT have more weight - (I am offering opinion and not legal advise).

I'm not picking on you "per say" but am curious -- is it all about $$$ ?? Whatever happened to "doing the right thing because it's the right thing" ?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here in the UK we have to follow very similar guidelines with regards to safety glasses and although I agree that if using a safety frame then safety lenses should also be used, this is not always the case.
    The safety officer of the company requesting the glasses will make a risk assessment, with full knowledge of the regulations, and if he deems standard lenses safe enough for the task then so be it. Sometimes all that is required are the side shields to protect from very small airbourne particles or liquids that are not sufficient to penetrate the lens.
    Should a patient request a private dispense of safety glasses then it is our responsibility to advise them of the various safety standards and fit lenses accordingly.

Thread Information