I would love to see unity in the approach of optics - from answers to questions like 'are glasses/contacts medical' to 'what defines an optician', and in areas like making concrete, enforceable guidelines similiar to ANSI, and finding people to go around and actually enforcing them. I'd like to see an end to ODs, MD, and corporations ignoring licensing requirements during operating hours. As a licensed optition with a degree, I'd like to see a degree being part of the requirements to sit for a state board exam - which I'd like to see in each state. I'd also like the respect other professions are given when you take years of hard work in order to be where you are, instead of being thought of as a sales person.

Unfortunately, we can't find unity in the less than 20 people who have posted in this thread alone - and this is a community of optically educated people. How could we ask that others outside our field share a consistent view of our profession, when we ourselves are not sending them a consistent message to begin with?

I'd really like to see a poll on some of these questions, to get a greater number of people to weigh in.