Thread: who,s right

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

At work we have a B&L lab 70 vertometer. The doctor insists the prism rings are prism diopter rings and i said when that vertomter was developed that term did not exist and those rings are in degrees..harry

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I believe references to prism diopters as degrees is a "lab slang" thing. The term prism diopters is technically correct, and to the best of my knowledge, has always been. As im sure you're aware, prism base orientation and deviation of light rays may be expressed in degrees, but the proper term for expressing prism is, and has been diopters.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lightbulb

It has been awhile since I've used a B&L but I believe the rings are diopters. I have seen a few older MD's write out the degree of prism on an Rx form; however, I believe the vertometers we are all used to working on have diopter rings.

Rising Star

Harry:
    Is there any other kind of vertometer than a B&L 70??? I treasure mine. We ALWAYS referred to prism diopters as degrees. I still do. But I think the Doc is technically correct. Prism is measured in diopters.

------------------

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok...diopters..or degrees..(or centrads?) Can we refer back to Pete Hanlin's optical trivia post and Darris' answer to one of the trivia questions? Hey, I'm retail...we say diopters, but that may change if I get to leave the sales/dispensing floor and train more with the white coated wizards...you guys/gals DO seem to have your own language! And Steve: "apprectice"? :)Anyway its fun to check in every evening and see what's new and improved !

[This message has been edited by JennyP (edited 05-29-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Interesting question. Technically, the term is definitely diopter, but I believe that the term degree was used, early on.

Diane

------------------

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow

Originally posted by Bob Rihl:
    Harry:
    Is there any other kind of vertometer than a B&L 70??? I treasure mine. We ALWAYS referred to prism diopters as degrees. I still do. But I think the Doc is technically correct. Prism is measured in diopters.
    Bob:
    Like I said I have seen some scripts form older OD's come in with prism written out in degrees. I guess the older label would also refer back to NAOO members. After double checking I also realized my bad. Our OLD vertometer lists degrees on its scale. Mea Culpa.

Rising Star

To quote the B&L Job Coach copyrighted 1946 says: "The power of prisms is determined by the amount of deviation which they give to the direction of light. In the past, several different systems have been used to define prism power, but at present the accepted method of designating prism power is in terms of prism diopters."

Thread Information