Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first trip to the UK...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

My first trip to the UK...

I'll be giving a presentation on the Evolution of PAL Technology at this year's Essilor Universities & Colleges Symposium (my first trip to the UK)!

Just curious as to whether any of the UK OptiBoarders will be attending this event (it would be great to meet a member from the UK).

The address for the event is as follows:
    Menzies Mickelover Court Hotel
    Etwall Road
    Mickleover Court
    Derby
    DE3 0XX

If there are any "must sees" in this area, please let me know.

I'll be staying somewhere near the LGW airport (I think its called "Gatwick") on Friday night, so if there's anything easy for a clueless Yankee to see near there I'd appreciate hearing about that as well.

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    When you first get in a taxi... and they take off on the "wrong" side of the road don't panic. Even though I knew what was about to happen, I still had a tough time (the first day) getting use to it.

Enjoy England, it's wonderful.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Shanbaum once told me to look both ways before you cross the street in England. Thought he was joking. Almost got killed at the first road I came to...the cars come from the wrong direction.
    RT

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    I'll be giving a presentation on the Evolution of PAL Technology at this year's Essilor Universities & Colleges Symposium (my first trip to the UK)!

Just curious as to whether any of the UK OptiBoarders will be attending this event (it would be great to meet a member from the UK).

The address for the event is as follows:
    Menzies Mickelover Court Hotel
    Etwall Road
    Mickleover Court
    Derby
    DE3 0XX

If there are any "must sees" in this area, please let me know.

I'll be staying somewhere near the LGW airport (I think its called "Gatwick") on Friday night, so if there's anything easy for a clueless Yankee to see near there I'd appreciate hearing about that as well.

Pete
    When's it gonna be? I wanna go, I wanna go. I love UK. Pete, I hope you have some extra time to spend there. I can't even begin to tell you what all you should see. Don't take a taxi...rent a car and experience it yourself. Just don't get killed or kill someone. Oh, and if you take your wife, be prepared that she will want to kill you for scaring the daylights out of her. The airport is less than 30 miles from London, so go there. Or go the other direction and see "Stonehedge" (I think). The Gatwick Express train (tel: (0)845 850 1530; website: www.gatwickexpress.co.uk) runs to London Victoria Station (journey time: 30 minutes). There is also a Thameslink (tel: (0)20 7620 6333) service, which runs to London King’s Cross (journey time: 50 minutes) as well as other London stations.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You can get anywhere you want.....

Pete,
    You can get anywhere you want in the UK by train or public transportation. Its a lot easier on the psyche and you will see more without the worry of driving on the left.....or worse, driving on the left into a roundabout!!!! Try to email John R and see if you can get together with him. If you do, tell him I miss seeing his posts. When are you going and how long will you be there?

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Let's see, I fly out on the night of 5 September- arriving in London at 10am on the 6th. The gentleman in charge of the symposium recommended I rent a car- so I'll (carefully) make my way up to Derby from the airport (225 miles- I didn't think the UK was that big- just kidding).

I speak on the 7th, the symposium ends on the 8th, and I'll probably drive back down to London that afternoon. So, that leaves me with Saturday the 9th to wander around and get into trouble before catching the 2:20pm flight back to Dallas on the 10th (I leave straight from the airport for Tampa, arriving at midnight and speaking the next morning there- talk about jet lag!!!!).

Thanks for reminding me about Stonehenge! Even though I'll be traveling by myself, I'll probably be a bit more venturesome than I am in Paris- because (ostensibly) I'll be able to speak the native language!

PS- I wanted to take the Jaguar factory tour- but they no longer offer tours of the facility :angry: .

PPS- Anyone from the UK that may be attending this conference can count on a pint on Essilor!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

enjoy your trip

Let's see, I fly out on the night of 5 September- arriving in London at 10am on the 6th. The gentleman in charge of the symposium recommended I rent a car- so I'll (carefully) make my way up to Derby from the airport (225 miles- I didn't think the UK was that big- just kidding).

I speak on the 7th, the symposium ends on the 8th, and I'll probably drive back down to London that afternoon. So, that leaves me with Saturday the 9th to wander around and get into trouble before catching the 2:20pm flight back to Dallas on the 10th (I leave straight from the airport for Tampa, arriving at midnight and speaking the next morning there- talk about jet lag!!!!).

Thanks for reminding me about Stonehenge! Even though I'll be traveling by myself, I'll probably be a bit more venturesome than I am in Paris- because (ostensibly) I'll be able to speak the native language!

PS- I wanted to take the Jaguar factory tour- but they no longer offer tours of the facility :angry: .

PPS- Anyone from the UK that may be attending this conference can count on a pint on Essilor!
    first the good news it's only about 165 miles then the bad news the M25 (motorway) the worlds biggest carpark:D :D you will love driving round it i dont think.
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Don't forget your roundabout training. Just in case you take a wrong turn and end up here.

http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

Not much to see near Gatwick...except London. This is my favourite £5 bargain.

http://www.shakespeares-globe.org/

You could start planning for Derby here.

http://www.visitderby.co.uk/

Enjoy.
    Optical technicians in Britain.

http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forum/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go to London! Stonehenge is boring and full of hippies, and you're not even allowed near it. You will all like the Buckingham Palace tour, and the open top bus tour (if it's not raining). There's loads more stuff to do, but I think for the time you have you are best off staying in London.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Stonehenge is OK, but all the pictures are taken from a flattering angle that ignores the huge gaps (and most stones were propped up with concrete in the 20th century anyway). Nearby Avebury is much more interesting and you can walk among the stones and go for a drink in the pub. But I agree with the previous poster, London is a better bet.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Based on the info from RGC_man's link (thanks!), I plan to spend pretty much the entire trip in Derby. During the symposium on Wednesday & Thursday, I can ask around regarding things to do. That way, when everyone leaves on Friday, I'll have an idea of what to tackle on my own.

For now, I'm planning on driving over to Nottingham on my free Saturday to check out Newark Castle, Southwell Minster, perhaps even hike part of Sherwood Forest, and find a local pub. Unless the local chamber of commerce has done a fabulous snow job, it seems like a town in which one could easily spend a relaxing day (www.visitnottingham.com).

PS- Why does Dover have to be on the wrong end of the island? I've always wanted to see the white cliffs, but it looks like they're about as far from Derby as possible (and there's no way I'm going to attempt driving they whole way around London)!
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 08-03-2006 at 02:45 PM.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Opti-Lurker
    Menlo Park, how the h*ll did that happen?
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Pete,

You'll have a bangup time! Don't fear driving on the wrong side, it's easy and so very much fun. I've driven in a bunch of left drive countries my trick is to spend the first day or two thinking "don't drive on the wrong side, don't drive on the wrong side, don't drive on the wrong side" and, presto, no worries. Be careful when you come back, though, I spent 3 or 4 weeks in Oz a bunch of years ago, no problems while I was there, but the day after I got back to the states I realized, while driving my normal day-in-day-out commute that I was driving on the left. Good think I was alone on the road.

On the way back to London from Nottingham you might want to consider a stop at Oxford, very beautiful and it may be a touchstone for a thinker such as yourself.

In any event have a great time, cheers,
    Coda

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope you will have a great time! I found driving on the left a little challenging but it helped to remember the driver is always towards the middle of the road.

I suggest you reserve a car with an automatic transmission. They are not as common there as they are here. Even if you can easily drive a standard (and I can) you don't need any extra distractions while driving on the left.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm sure finding an automatic is a good idea (although my own car is actually a manual- I've often wondered how it would feel to shift with your left hand (seems like that would be stranger than driving on the wrong side of the road)!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Stonehenge is interesting but wouldn't go there if I had such a limit on my time.

London, London. London!!! It's my all time favorite city and so easy to get around on the underground (much more spread out than Paris so walking will get you only so far.) With only a day or so I would take in Westminster and the Parliament area, including the Cabinet War Rooms--really remarkable--then hop the train to Trafalgar Square which is fun, as well as Covent Gardens. The parks are worth seeing, especially St James which borders Buckingham Palace. Have fun!!!:cheers:

(Driving on the "wrong" side is less stressful than you would think--just don't overthink it, let your instincts take over, your brain will "flip" everything for you once you are seated on the right hand side of the car. Sounds weird, but true.) Another option is hiring a car and driver to pick you up at the airport, then taking the train after you get your bearings and some sleep--sounds extravagant, but probably no more expensive than renting a car for several days.

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation

Arrow

Well a yank in the UK.... :drop:

Long time no post for me. I really wish i could get to meat you Pete, but pressure of work... Means i am working No more Optics for me :D Finally found a way out to a new path....
    One bit of advice on driving..... DONT..... Na you will be OK. Just remember that when you stomp on the right hand peddle you will go faster.... Not stop.... and the same in reverse for the left one.....
    As to what to see round Derby Mmm not a lot really that i can think off. Nottingham would be a good choice as you say. One thing on the M25 you wont get any speeding tickets, as Jack says biggest car park in the UK
    One thing it will be a nice easy trip from Gatwick to Derby. M25 to M1...
    If you like choc's a trip to Here would be fun.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Cadbury?!?

You DO realize I grew up about 5 miles from Hershey, Pennsylvania (aka "Chocolatetown USA")! I don't know if Hershey chocolate is even sold in the UK (it certainly isn't in France)...

Anyway, the accelerator is on the right, the clutch is on the left, and that dreadfully useless peddle in the middle is still the brake in the UK, right? Perhaps I'll end up with an automatic, but if I get a manual, I'm sure the shifting will be odd- since its on the left side.

From the owner's manual to my car, I know you have a different word for just about everything related to a car (a station wagon is an estate, a four door a saloon, the hood is a bonnet, the trunk is the boot, and there's odd terms for the high and low beams as well).

Anyway, I hope you're serious about the trip from Gatwick being easy- that's the most nerve-wracking part for me!

PS- Anyone know a good pub in Nottingham?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Hey John! How the heck are you?

FWIW except for OptiBoard I have no ongoing employment in the eyecare field either.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Cadbury?!?

You DO realize I grew up about 5 miles from Hershey, Pennsylvania (aka "Chocolatetown USA")! I don't know if Hershey chocolate is even sold in the UK (it certainly isn't in France)...

PS- Anyone know a good pub in Nottingham?
    Most people here I have given Hershey from American relatives thought it was dry. Must be a case of liking what you have grown up with.

354 Nottingham pubs listed here...

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...l?l=nottingham

...but beware of the binge drinking culture in the city centre on a Friday or Saturday night, in which case look for something quieter in the nearby countryside if you want to avoid thousands of lads looking for a fight.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thanks for another helpful website, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to get into a fight with a visiting Yank! I mean, we pulled your sorry arses out of two World Wars, so I would expect everyone will still be grateful!

Heh, heh... completely kidding there- it was Hitler who ensured victory for the Allies when he made the rather fortunate (depending on one's point of view) decision to invade Russia!

Well, semi-kidding there... Seriously, I hope to find a quiet, dark pub where I can have a few drinks (I don't suppose a Brit bartender will know what a Long Island Iced Tea is), perhaps engage in a game of darts or billiards with a friendly local, and relate how beautiful I find the country! More likely than not, I'll retire early to finish a Ken Follett novel back in my hotel before heading back to Gatwick on Sunday morning.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Hey John! How the heck are you?

FWIW except for OptiBoard I have no ongoing employment in the eyecare field either.
    Steve i'm fine and really enjoying life out of optics..... :D

Pete.. Here is your route.. As you can see its pretty easy.. :)

As for Nottingham you will rignt at home as it has one of the highest gun crime figures in the UK

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Seriously mate, you do not want to be in a major UK city late at night. Both of these have good reviews...

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...nn/Hoveringham

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs...gh_Inn/Radford

Occupation
    I love the UK and London is my favorite 'big city'. I hope to go back someday. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thanks for the directions, John. I'll be sure to bring a couple of my guns (so I can return fire)! Let's see, I could install a temporary gun rack in my rental for my rifle... Or, I could carry the weapon your police use (a stick, right?).

Its also nice to see the UK apparently still uses- well- the English system of measurement (back in the 70's this fellow named Jimmy Carter unsuccessfully tried to convince Americans to convert to metric).

Now the big question- I don't suppose there is an equivalent of the German Autobaun in the UK? What's the speed limit like on the M1?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Speed limit is 70 mph on M1, although many travel a lot faster....
    At peak time you will be lucky to do 30 mph and if on the M 25 it will be around 10 mph......

Thread Information