Thread: Removing blue layer from crizal alize

OptiBoard Novice

Removing blue layer from crizal alize

A small consumer question:

I just got new lenses, and the shop did a rather poor job of removing the blue azure (?) layer from the lenses. How would you recommend to remove it without damaging the underlying AR? Essilor's professional site says "weak detergent & a soft cloth", but I'm not having much luck. I suspect that I'm just being paranoid about scratching my new lenses. So what's the "trick"?

Thanks in advance.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just clean them DRY with a soft paper towel or kleenex.

But here is the thing, there are two forums of Alize, one with a blue residual colour and one with a green. Though the blue is not available in the US, this may be it.

But if in doubt, take them back and get the fine people who made your glasses to do it.

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    But here is the thing, there are two forums of Alize, one with a blue residual colour and one with a green. Though the blue is not available in the US, this may be it.
    No, the blue is (was) certianly not the Alize itself--it was fairly hydrophillic. Also, a "donut" of it was already cleaned off, I would assume by the pads in the edger. The dead center and the edges were the trouble.

Anyway, thanks for the help. It came off quite well using dry tissue. Whats left is unscratched, green, and beads water like teflon. Hopefully I'll get good performance out of these for several years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Poor service

I can' t imagine why the eyecare professional where you purchased your glasses even considered letting them out of their office with this still on... It should have NEVER been your problem.

People should just do their jobs.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or essilor professionals should quit trying to quiz opticians on this forum....I could be way off base but this pt seems awful educated about block pads and coatings.

jmho

Cindy

OptiBoard Novice
    Daine -
    I suspect it's a matter of haste makes waste. Their lens supplier had messed up and lost the order, & so I had been waiting a ridiculous amount of time. They let me just walk in at the end of the day without an appointment to get the lenses put into my frames (good job trying to make right someone else's mistake), but flubbed up a bit. No harm no foul--they're still much much better than the shop I used to buy from (ugh, horror stories galore!).

cinders831 -
    I'm flattered. No, I just poked around here looking for the answer to my problem before registering--this place is a treasure trove of information. Although (hint hint board administrator) it would have been easier if Search didn't require registering an account (might cut back on the silly consumer questions that have been answered a dozen times, too).

And actually, a followup question: is there anything else I should look out for in the new lenses? I mean, they "look" alright (or rather, I see alright), but I've had trouble with hidden defects before...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by smallquestion

And actually, a followup question: is there anything else I should look out for in the new lenses? I mean, they "look" alright (or rather, I see alright), but I've had trouble with hidden defects before...
    If you're satisfied with the new provider, I would suggest that you not go on a witch hunt. If you see well and they look good, what would you want? Maybe more pairs...but I believe in muliptle pair for multiple visual tasks.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SQ, keep your lenses out of high heat (like leaving them in your car on a hot day) this goes with almost all lens types and coatings, but all AR lenses are susceptible to damage from high heat.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    *opps wrong thread
    Last edited by For-Life; 07-27-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Thread Information