Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Real Men of Genius"

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

"Real Men of Genius"

The truth is - let me say this clearly - we didn’t even expect (this) response ... that (Israel) would exploit this operation for this big war against us ...
    From MSNBC: Mahmoud Koumate, Hezbollah's deputy political chief, said (AP) that he was "surprised" by the scale and severity of Israel's military response to the incident of July 12, when Hezbollah militants crossed from the Lebanese border into Israel proper and captured two IDF soldiers whose status is still unknown. The incursion, which was described in the Washington Post as "brazen", left a total of eight other IDF soldiers dead: Three were killed in the initial Hezbollah attack, and within 24 hours, five more IDF soldiers were killed inside Lebanon during pursuit operations.

Koumate went on to say that Hezbollah was expecting only a "limited" Israeli response (Editorial comment: A few shells lobbed more or less aimlessly in retaliation? Water pistols?) possibly leading to a "standard" prisoner exchange. He concluded his remarks by categorizing the massive Israeli military response that is still underway as "unjustified".

Well, duh ...

Ever had CrackerJacks, Mahmoud? There's a surprise in every box.

Or dare I say it: "This Scud's for you ..."

OptiBoard member rinselberg has posted extensively on the Bush administration, and particularly, its rationale for invading Iraq. For his latest OpEd on this topic, see Quicksand!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 07-26-2006 at 07:28 AM.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Historically, it would appear Israeli and Hezbollah forces have engaged in minor skirmishes & kidnappings. So, perhaps the Hezbollah leadership is at least genuine in their surprise regarding the extent of Israel's response to this incident.

As much as the media has tried to spin Hezbollah as a benign political movement, the fact is it has directly engaged in terrorism (aka "acts of war") with Israel for some time. Israeli leadership has probably been planning for the current actions for some time- just waiting for proper provocation.

Although the situations are somewhat different, the US has engaged in similar behavior in the past- Mexico was virtually goaded into the war which resulted in the addition of Texas and other territories to the US. Sanctions on Japan in the late 30's and early 40's virtually assured that country's leadership would eventually decide to act aggressively as well.

All that said, I don't see how Hezbollah's leadership can be all that surprised- Israel has a very clear history of not taking crap from their adversaries (for good cause- its a tiny country surrounded by nations bent on its destruction). Personally, I'm just hoping no one sets a nuke loose over there (& hoping that Iran doesn't decide to attend the dance).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Updated: 7:25 a.m. PT Aug 6, 2006
    BEIRUT, Lebanon - Syria’s foreign minister offered on Sunday to join Hezbollah and said his country’s army had standing orders to respond immediately to any Israeli attacks.

“If you wish, I’m ready to be a soldier at the disposal of (Hezbollah chief) Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah,” Walid Mouallem told reporters on arrival in Lebanon in a symbolic gesture.

Asked about concerns that the war in Lebanon could spill over into a regional war, Mouallem said: “Most welcome ...”

For more:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13165161/

OptiBoard member rinselberg has posted extensively on the Bush administration, and particularly, its rationale for invading Iraq. For his latest OpEd on this topic, see Quicksand!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-28-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Occupation

Singing a new tune in Lebanon

Updated: 4:22 p.m. PT Aug 27, 2006
    BEIRUT, Lebanon - Hezbollah leader Sheik Hassan Nasrallah said in a TV interview aired Sunday that he would not have ordered the capture of two Israeli soldiers if he had known it would lead to such a war.

Hezbollah guerrillas killed three Israeli soldiers and seized two more in a cross-border raid July 12, which sparked 34 days of fighting that ended Aug. 14. Five other Israeli soldiers were killed as they pursued the militants back into Lebanon.

“We did not think - not even one percent - that the capture would lead to a war at this time and of this magnitude. You ask me, if I had known on July 11 ... that the operation would lead to such a war, would I do it? I say no, absolutely not,” he said in an interview with Lebanon’s New TV station ...

To HEAR more of the Hezbollah leader's remarks, CLICK on the audio download icon (above). If a new icon appears on your desktop, you may have to CLICK on that to start the audio playback.

Urban renewal, Hezbollah style ...

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14543465/

A seemingly conservative "media" blitz worthy of today's Karl Rove helps transform ancient Rome from a floundering republic into a burgeoning world empire in Political Correctness 101.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 08-29-2006 at 12:46 AM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I seems that if Israel had let it's enemies know it was "a bad tempered sleeping giant" it's neighbors would behave. If one has a "big stick" one appearently must let one's enemies know that if you "p*** me off, I'll use my stick."
    Also very, very clearly illustrates that appeasment doesn't work.

So what you liberals got to say to this?

Chip

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I seems that if Israel had let it's enemies know it was "a bad tempered sleeping giant" it's neighbors would behave. If one has a "big stick" one appearently must let one's enemies know that if you "p*** me off, I'll use my stick."
    Also very, very clearly illustrates that appeasment doesn't work.

So what you liberals got to say to this?

Chip
    I think Israel has every right, indeed obligation, to defend herself. That said, this could have been handled better from a PR standpoint--they allowed it to be positioned as "we are attacking your entire nation Lebanon because H kidnapped 2 of our troops" which of course is way off base. Also, kinda gives the lie to Bush's mantra about democracy being the antidote for terrorism, what with Hezbollah being elected in the democracy of Lebanon.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Historically, it would appear Israeli and Hezbollah forces have engaged in minor skirmishes & kidnappings. So, perhaps the Hezbollah leadership is at least genuine in their surprise regarding the extent of Israel's response to this incident.

As much as the media has tried to spin Hezbollah as a benign political movement, the fact is it has directly engaged in terrorism (aka "acts of war") with Israel for some time. Israeli leadership has probably been planning for the current actions for some time- just waiting for proper provocation.

Although the situations are somewhat different, the US has engaged in similar behavior in the past- Mexico was virtually goaded into the war which resulted in the addition of Texas and other territories to the US. Sanctions on Japan in the late 30's and early 40's virtually assured that country's leadership would eventually decide to act aggressively as well.

All that said, I don't see how Hezbollah's leadership can be all that surprised- Israel has a very clear history of not taking crap from their adversaries (for good cause- its a tiny country surrounded by nations bent on its destruction). Personally, I'm just hoping no one sets a nuke loose over there (& hoping that Iran doesn't decide to attend the dance).
    I'm not aware the media is doing this??? They have covered H's (very shrewd) moves at offering community services but clearly designate them as a terrorist organization.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chm2023 View Post
    I think Israel has every right, indeed obligation, to defend herself. That said, this could have been handled better from a PR standpoint - they allowed it to be positioned as "we [Israel] are attacking your entire nation of Lebanon because Hezbollah kidnapped two Israeli soldiers" - which of course is way off base. Also, kinda gives the lie to Bush's mantra about democracy being the antidote for terrorism, what with Hezbollah being elected in the democracy of Lebanon.
    I don't see that Israel "allowed" any such thing. The Israeli representatives - ambassadors and Foreign Ministry spokespersons - hammered their point again and again, that Israel's objective was to focus on Hezbollah and NOT to disrupt or damage the entire nation of Lebanon. But as you (chm2023) have said yourself, Hezbollah has carefully intertwined its military installations with the neighboring civilian population, so as to make severe "collateral damages" impossible for the IDF (Israeli Defense Forces) to avoid.

I don't think that it would have been possible for the IDF to have confined their military attacks to just south of the Litani River. All of Lebanon had to be "in play", because all of Lebanon's infrastructure was being used to transport weapons and supplies to the Hezbollah forces south of the Litani River.

I think that the IDF could have shortened the duration of the war by unleashing a more massive, widespread attack on Lebanon from the very outset - but I don't think that would have changed the outcome in any significant way from the international PR standpoint.

And as far as "giving the lie to W's mantra about democracy being the antidote to terrorism", I think that you are getting ahead of yourself. This from the Council on Foreign Relations:
    After the 2005 elections, Hezbollah won fourteen seats in the 128-member Lebanese Parliament. In addition, Hezbollah has two ministers in the government, and a third is endorsed by the group.
    I wouldn't say that Hezbollah had a mandate or concensus from the Lebanese government to carry out such a provocative attack on Israel as the cross-border attacks and kidnappings of July 12. It's also apparent that Hezbollah is starting to feel more politically constrained, or we wouldn't see Nasrallah making apologetic statements like the one that I just reported on (above).

One of the psy-ops leaflets dropped over Lebanon by the IDF put the question to the Lebanese: "Can you afford to pay this price again?"

I think that we will get a clearer picture of democracy in Lebanon - how much there actually is and how well it actually works - in the coming months, as the expanded UN peacekeeping mission takes shape. I think that Hezbollah is going to have to reign in its military activities and tend more to its political fronts within Lebanon. And that should be good news for everyone.

Reference: http://www.cfr.org/publication/9155/

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...

Occupation
    I think that we will get a clearer picture of democracy in Lebanon - how much there actually is and how well it actually works - in the coming months, as the expanded UN peacekeeping mission takes shape. I think that Hezbollah is going to have to reign in its military activities and tend more to its political fronts within Lebanon. And that should be good news for everyone.

Reference: http://www.cfr.org/publication/9155/
    [/QUOTE]

from your mouth to God's ear.

Occupation

"Fatwa Fridays" at a Mitsubishi dealership near you

"Jihad" car commercial upsets U.S. Muslims
    Proposed radio spot draws reaction even before it airs

CINCINNATI - A car commercial proclaiming a jihad on the U.S. auto market and offering "Fatwa Fridays" with free swords for the kids is offensive and should not be aired, Muslim leaders said on Sunday.

The radio advertisement for the Dennis Mitsubishi car dealership in Columbus, Ohio, has "a whole jihad theme," said Adnan Mirza, director of the Columbus office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"They are planning on launching a jihad on the automotive market and their representatives would be wearing burqas ... ," Mirza said. "They mentioned the pope in there and also about giving rubber swords out to the kiddies -- really just reprehensible-type comments."

I've got EIGHT of these new '06 cream puffs on the lot, and let me tell you, they're LOADED ...

Details of the radio ad, which has not yet been broadcast, have been reported in the local media ... [A spokesperson for the auto retailer] would not say whether the dealership had changed its mind about airing the commercial ...

For the complete MSNBC report:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14990383/

Are you reading more posts and enjoying it less? Make RadioFreeRinsel your next Internet port of call ...
    Last edited by rinselberg; 09-27-2006 at 09:05 AM.

Occupation
    I tend to think that political correctness has gotten out of hand but OH MY GOD !!! :drop:

Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    "Jihad" car commercial upsets U.S. Muslims
    Proposed radio spot draws reaction even before it airs

CINCINNATI - A car commercial proclaiming a jihad on the U.S. auto market and offering "Fatwa Fridays" with free swords for the kids is offensive and should not be aired, Muslim leaders said on Sunday.

The radio advertisement for the Dennis Mitsubishi car dealership in Columbus, Ohio, has "a whole jihad theme," said Adnan Mirza, director of the Columbus office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"They are planning on launching a jihad on the automotive market and their representatives would be wearing burqas ... ," Mirza said. "They mentioned the pope in there and also about giving rubber swords out to the kiddies -- really just reprehensible-type comments."

Details of the radio ad, which has not yet been broadcast, have been reported in the local media ... [A spokesperson for the auto retailer] would not say whether the dealership had changed its mind about airing the commercial ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14990383/

Occupation

"It is very difficult for a commander ... when he is not able to move forces around and to have them go where they're needed, when they're needed, to do the things that needed to be done," Rumsfeld said ...

Bud Light salutes you, Mr. "Read the fine print about when and how you can employ our NATO contingent" policy maker ...

By Jim Michaels, USA TODAY
    PORTOROZ, Slovenia — Countries sending their troops to Afghanistan have placed a web of restrictions on how they can be used, creating headaches for combat commanders and hurting the coalition's ability to fight a resurgent Taliban.

The restrictions, also called caveats, vary and are imposed by governments who fear casualties or don't agree with all parts of the mission. Other caveats are due to a lack of training or equipment.

The result is some forces can't fight at night or in the most dangerous parts of Afghanistan.

At a NATO meeting here Thursday, U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said it's understandable that nations don't want their troops to perform specific missions, but when numerous countries impose restrictions it creates a "situation that really is not acceptable." Rumsfeld and NATO authorities are working to get countries to lift the restrictions ...

"If you sign on to the mission, you should sign on to the whole package," said Canadian Lt. Col. Rejean Duchesneau, a spokesman for NATO's military arm.

Caveats have long been part of multinational military operations. Concerns about them have become more acute, however, as NATO expands its command over coalition forces. Ousted in 2001, the fundamentalist Islamic Taliban militia has regained strength, particularly in the south.

On Thursday, ministers agreed to ... expand NATO command over the remaining eastern part of the country, bringing about 30,000 troops under the alliance, including 12,500 Americans ... There are about 20,000 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, and some will remain independent of the NATO mission.

Of NATO's 26 countries, only six, including the United States, place no restrictions on the forces they contribute to NATO operations ...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...-caveats_x.htm

Last edited by rinselberg; 09-30-2006 at 05:44 AM.

Occupation

Never On Sunday

Today we salute you, Mr. Economic Genius ...

Greece's Minister of Economy & Finance, George Alogoskoufis.

Prostitutes, smugglers boost Greek economy
    Official: Illicit businesses to be added into country's gross domestic product

Updated: 4:55 p.m. PT Sept 29, 2006
    ATHENS - Prostitutes and smugglers will give the Greek economy an unexpected boost as their illicit activities will now be counted in the country's official ecomomic output, a senior official said this week.

Under pressure from the European Union to cut its deficits, Greece is revising its gross domestic product to include part of the booming black economy, boosting its output by at least 10 percent in 2006, the country's chief statistician told Reuters.

"The revised GDP will include some money from illegal activities, such as money from cigarette and drinks smuggling, prostitution and money laundering," National Statistics Service (NSS) chief Manolis Kontopyrakis said in an interview.

Greece’s economic output was 180 billion euros ($228 billion) in 2005 and is estimated at 194 billion euros this year, while the black economy is estimated at about 40-60 billion euros a year.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15060785/

Set your Mac or PC speaker loudness for audio and strike up the band!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 05-07-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Occupation

The return of Mr. Bean

Bean (1997): Rowan Atkinson's "Mr. Bean", a hopeless museum caretaker at the Royal National Gallery in London, is assigned the job of transporting the priceless painting Whistler's Mother to an art gallery in Los Angeles.

Picasso dream painting in nightmare scenario
    Vegas casino magnate accidentally pokes hole in artist's 'Le Reve' work

Updated: 9:02 a.m. PT Oct 18, 2006
    LOS ANGELES - Picasso's famed "Dream" painting turned into a nightmare for Las Vegas casino magnate Steve Wynn when he accidentally gave the multimillion dollar canvas an elbow.

Wynn had just finalized a $139 million sale to another collector of his painting, called "Le Reve" (The Dream), when he poked a finger-sized hole in the artwork while showing it to friends at his Las Vegas office a couple of weeks ago.

Director and screenwriter Nora Ephron, who witnessed and related the incident in her blog on the Huffington Post Web site (www.huffingtonpost.com), said Wynn had raised his hand to show the group something about Picasso’s 1932 portrait of his mistress Marie-Therese Walter.

"At that moment, his elbow crashed backward right through the canvas. There was a terrible noise," Ephron wrote, noting that Wynn has retinitis pigmentosa, an eye disease that damages peripheral vision. "Smack in the middle ... was a black hole the size of a silver dollar. 'Oh s---,' he said. 'Look what I’ve done. Thank goodness it was me.' ..."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15310601/

Last edited by rinselberg; 10-18-2006 at 04:02 PM.

Occupation

Another sign of the times ..?

1770: American patriot and lawyer John Adams voluntarily serves as defense counsel for the "redcoats" - the King's soldiers - British soldiers - on trial for murder in the Colony of Massachusetts after the Boston Massacre.

"The Part I took in Defence of Cptn. Preston and the Soldiers, procured me Anxiety, and Obloquy enough. It was, however, one of the most gallant, generous, manly and disinterested Actions of my whole Life, and one of the best Pieces of Service I ever rendered my Country. Judgment of Death against those Soldiers would have been as foul a Stain upon this Country as the Executions of the Quakers or Witches, anciently. As the Evidence was, the Verdict of the Jury was exactly right."
    -- John Adams (1773)

Vs. January 12, 2007.
    Editorial page of the Washington Post

MOST AMERICANS understand that legal representation for the accused is one of the core principles of the American way. Not, it seems, Cully Stimson, deputy assistant secretary of defense for detainee affairs. In a repellent interview yesterday with Federal News Radio, Mr. Stimson brought up, unprompted, the number of major U.S. law firms that have helped represent detainees at Guantanamo Bay.

"Actually you know I think the news story that you're really going to start seeing in the next couple of weeks is this: As a result of a FOIA [Freedom of Information Act] request through a major news organization, somebody asked, 'Who are the lawyers around this country representing detainees down there,' and you know what, it's shocking," he said.

Mr. Stimson proceeded to reel off the names of these firms, adding, "I think, quite honestly, when corporate CEOs see that those firms are representing the very terrorists who hit their bottom line back in 2001, those CEOs are going to make those law firms choose between representing terrorists or representing reputable firms, and I think that is going to have major play in the next few weeks. And we want to watch that play out."

Asked who was paying the firms, Mr. Stimson hinted of dark doings. "It's not clear, is it?" he said. "Some will maintain that they are doing it out of the goodness of their heart, that they're doing it pro bono, and I suspect they are; others are receiving monies from who knows where, and I'd be curious to have them explain that."

It might be only laughable that Mr. Stimson, during the interview, called Guantanamo "certainly, probably, the most transparent and open location in the world."

But it's offensive -- shocking, to use his word -- that Mr. Stimson, a lawyer, would argue that law firms are doing anything other than upholding the highest ethical traditions of the bar by taking on the most unpopular of defendants. It's shocking that he would seemingly encourage the firms' corporate clients to pressure them to drop this work. And it's shocking -- though perhaps not surprising -- that this is the person the administration has chosen to oversee detainee policy at Guantanamo.

The only reaction from the administration, to date:
    A Pentagon spokesman, Lt. Col. Brian Maka, said Stimson was not speaking for the Bush administration. Stimson's comments "do not represent the views of the Department of Defense or the thinking of its leadership," Maka told The Associated Press on Saturday ...

Cully Stimson - the latest addition to rinselberg's "Real Men of Genius".

OptiBoard member rinselberg updates the veridical paradox known as the "Monty Hall problem" under the post title Three Card Rinsel.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 01-16-2007 at 08:00 AM.

Occupation
    Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick just drew a penalty flag for an "illegal substance in transit" - at the Miami International Airport.

During his preflight check-in, Vick reluctantly surrendered a plastic water bottle of the kind that can be purchased over the counter or by mail order - the kind that has a hidden compartment. Airport security staff thought that the bottle smelled of marijuana. Upon inspection, it was found that the bottle contained an unknown but suspicious looking substance in the hidden compartment.

Vick was not arrested and was allowed to board an AirTran flight that landed in Atlanta. That would be the same AirTran that has been using Michael Vick as a celebrity "prop" in its TV, print and billboard advertisements.

Miami police said it could be weeks before a decision is made on whether to file charges against the three-time Pro Bowler, who this season became the first quarterback in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards.

Sources:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16682616/
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16124590/
    http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/s...4/daily40.html

When is a forum post more than just a forum post? See OptiBoard's Word of the Day!

Occupation

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" movie publicity devices, seen around Boston on Wednesday, caused a security scare that shut down bridges and subways.

A publicity campaign to promote a new, "cartoon cult" movie called "Aqua Teen Hunger Force", triggered a general security scare and widespread police activity in ten major cities, starting yesterday in Boston.

Legal proceedings against the movie promoters are already beginning.

Officials found 38 blinking electronic signs promoting the Cartoon Network TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" on bridges and other high-profile spots across Boston on Wednesday, prompting the closing of a highway and the deployment of bomb squads. The surreal cartoon series is about a talking milkshake and his pals - a box of french fries and a meatball. The network is a division of Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc.

The 12-inch tall signs resembled a circuit board, with protruding wires and batteries. Most depicted a boxy cartoon character giving passersby the "finger" — a more obvious sight when darkness fell.

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" is a cartoon with a cultish following that airs as part of a block of programs for adults on the Cartoon Network. A feature length film based on the show is slated for release March 23.

For the complete MSNBC report and video:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16921137/

When is a forum post more than just a forum post? See OptiBoard's Word of the Day!

Occupation

Probably just stocking up for duck season ...

Updated: 1:34 p.m. AKT March 2, 2007 - Associated Press.
    NORCO, Calif. - More than 1 million rounds of ammunition, a cache of weapons and a tunnel were found inside a man's home after an explosive fire that forced a neighborhood evacuation, authorities said Friday ... The fire caused some of the ammunition to explode, forcing evacuation of the neighborhood and keeping firefighters at a distance. The blaze, which caused the roof to collapse, was eventually extinguished ...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17422580/

Colt Super 38: The perfect desktop accessory. Shoots real bullets.

DragonLensmanWV is just the latest OptiBoard member to relive the zany years of the Reagan presidency by visiting Theirs is a scandal that deserves to be told ... Is it your turn?
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-12-2007 at 10:51 PM.

Occupation

Israel's foreign envoys: "Wild and Crazy Guys!"

Updated: 10:31 a.m. PT March 12, 2007
    JERUSALEM - Israel has recalled its ambassador to El Salvador after he was found naked, bound and drunk, according to Israeli media reports confirmed Monday by a government spokeswoman.

The longtime diplomat, Tsuriel Raphael, has been removed from his post and the Foreign Ministry has begun searching for a replacement, said ministry spokeswoman Zehavit Ben-Hillel.

Two weeks ago, El Salvador police found Raphael in the yard of his residence, tied up, gagged with a ball and drunk, Israeli media reported. He was wearing sex bondage equipment. After he was untied, Raphael told police he was the ambassador of Israel.

Ben-Hillel said the reports were accurate and that Raphael has been recalled, although he did not break any laws ...

The embarrassing affair was one of several involving Israeli diplomats in recent years. In 2000, Israel’s ambassador to France died of cardiac arrest in a Paris hotel under circumstances the Foreign Ministry refused to publicize. Media reports said he was with a woman who was not his wife at the time.

Last year, Israel replaced its ambassador to Australia, Naftali Tamir, after he said Israel and Australia are “like sisters” because both are located in Asia and their peoples don’t have the Asian characteristics of “yellow skin and slanted eyes.”

In 2005, Israel canceled the appointment of a diplomat to Australia after it was discovered that he published pictures of nude Brazilian women on the Internet while on a mission in Brazil.

Video at ten ... dream on!

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17577691/

Exchange rate: How many U.S. HAWK missiles were sought by Iran's mullahs in exchange for the release of "quantity one" of the international hostages abducted by terrorists in Beirut? Find the answer at Theirs is a scandal that deserves to be told ... your one-stop post for the finest in Oliver North lore and other 20-year anniversary Iran-Contra memorabilia.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For what it's worth, when pistol and rifle cartridges go off as a result of fire, the casing is what is propeled, the business end of the bullet doesn't travel very far at all and has such low velosity, it is highly unlikely to do any damage. Bullets need to be contained and pass through the tube to be very effective.

Chip

Occupation
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11497287/

The name of today's "Real Men of Genius" nominee is (as yet) unknown, but what we have (above) is a continuation of the "blue" or "off-color" theme from my previous post on this topic, Israel's foreign envoys: "Wild and Crazy Guys!"

St. Patrick's Day: Bet you didn't know THIS about Guinness Draught
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-19-2007 at 02:20 PM.

Occupation

Ohio fireman, wearing blonde wig and bikini, is arrested in a public park after complaints about his "odd" behavior.

And the grunge parade (see my two most recent posts; above) continues ...

Steven S. Cole, a 46-year-old volunteer firefighter, told an officer he was on his way to a Dayton bar to perform as a woman in a contest offering a $10,000 prize, the arrest report said. He pleaded "not guilty" to charges of drunken driving, public indecency and disorderly conduct ...

MSNBC report with video
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17965919/

Rinsel's Werewolf Test ... so terrifying, you may not want to think about it!
    Last edited by rinselberg; 04-26-2007 at 12:41 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post

Ohio fireman, wearing blonde wig and bikini, is arrested in a public park after complaints about his "odd" behavior.

And the grunge parade (see my two most recent posts; above) continues ...

Steven S. Cole, a 46-year-old volunteer firefighter, told an officer he was on his way to a Dayton bar to perform as a woman in a contest offering a $10,000 prize, the arrest report said. He pleaded "not guilty" to charges of drunken driving, public indecency and disorderly conduct ...

Could you imagine being trapped in a burning building, you call 9-1-1, and THIS GUY breaks down the door !?!?

I'd jump out the window!

Occupation

North Korean soldiers file past the USS Pueblo, which the U.S. contends was unlawfully seized in international waters by the North Korean navy in 1968. An American delegation led by New Mexico governor Bill Richardson and Anthony Principi, former Veteran Affairs Secretary, endured an unwelcome tour of the U.S. spy ship.

Associated Press
    Updated: 5:17 p.m. PT April 9, 2007
    PYONGYANG, North Korea - New Mexico governor and 2008 presidential candidate Bill Richardson toured a U.S. warship once captured by North Korea that is still used to inspire anti-American sentiment in the reclusive communist-led country.

The North Korean colonel who served as Richardson's tour guide smiled as he told the governor the ship was an example of continued U.S. aggression toward his country. Richardson and former Veteran Affairs Secretary Anthony Principi, who are visiting North Korea as a diplomatic gesture and to expedite the return of remains of U.S. servicemen who died in the Korean War, were then shown bullet holes circled in red paint and a video describing the maneuvering of "brazen-faced U.S. imperialists."

The USS Pueblo was captured by North Korea on Jan. 23, 1968, after being sent on an intelligence gathering mission near the Korean coast. It was the first U.S. warship captured since 1807, and remains the only active-duty U.S. warship in foreign hands ...

The chairman of North Korea's "International Unwelcoming Committee" - todays nominee for the coveted "Real Men of Genius" award.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18028751

How do you commemorate two million years of hominid evolution? What beer would be perfect for Halloween? See the latest posts on Beer Of The Day, an off-forum blog dedicated to the celebration of beer and ale (good or otherwise) as an Objet d'art ...

Occupation

Acme Piano Movers

Organizers of a classical music festival heard a distinctly off-key chord when an $88,000 concert piano fell off the back of a delivery truck.

Fundraisers saved for two years to raise the cash needed to buy the Bosendorfer concert grand piano - considered the Rolls-Royce of the piano world.

The festival’s artistic director Penny Adie was so excited as the instrument was being delivered that she ran out to snap pictures. But she was left "numb" as she photographed it crashing to the ground. "It's a tragedy to see something of such beauty lying upside-down on the ground. It was like seeing a priceless painting torn to shreds."

Select the photo to view the eight pictures of the accident in sequence. Credit: NBC 5 Dallas.

The United Kingdom's October Two Moors Festival was set up in 2001 to attract tourists to Dartmoor and Exmoor.

Mrs Adie does not know the full extent of the damage but fears it may be a write-off.

NBC 10 Philadelphia reported that the piano was insured for $50,000.

Source: The Sun Online. Story by Sebastian Lander.

On tap at Beer Of The Day.
    Last edited by rinselberg; 04-14-2007 at 05:28 PM.

Thread Information