Thread: Roger Waters

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Ehllo, all.

In the infamous words of Roger Waters (Pink Floyd): "Is there anybody OUT there?"

Seems that since we have switched to the new board (which I love), postings have really dropped off.

I notice we have about 117 'members'. Quit lurking, and post something!! What you deem to be obvious or boring or inane may in fact be funny or even (gasp!) educational.

P.S. Jerry T., Valley Fever (Coccoblah...) is actually a deadly from of Biological weapon in the U.S. arsenal...

P.P.S. Steve, if I don't want a 'dry- humping frog' as an icon(or anything else), is it possible to have no icon at all??

------------------
    Shwing;-}

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi! I have also noticed that not too many people are posting. I guess some creatures of habit are just relutant to make the switch. C'mon everyone it'll be OK!!

Steph

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Shwing/Steph,

Actually the amount of posting is as good, maybe even a little better, than on the old Board. In the first week, we've been averaging about 25 messages a day. Not bad! Particularly considering 3 of these days have been weekends which historically have very little posting. For comparison, the old Board averaged aound 20-25 a day.

It may not appear that there are as many messages because the Board is organized by message thread instead of separate files for each message. Also the old Board always had about 6-8 weeks worth of messages on it which made it appear to be busier.

Shwing,

You don't have to use the jumping icon. In fact the default one is the simple message icon I'm using with this post. There's no way to completely disable a posting icon however.

Steve

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

[This message has been edited by Steve Machol (edited 05-28-2000).]

Occupation

Did either of you notice the lastest addition to the Board? I added a "Who's Online" function Saturday evening. One interesting thing I've noticed is that there is almost always someone (other than me) on the OptiBoard at any given time. In fact, several times I've seen 6 people cruising the Board at the same time! Up to now, I though that hardly anyone checked the Board on the weekends.

Nonetheless, very few of these people have posted messages - which fits Shwing's comments about "lurkers". However this is not unusual since OptiBoard has always had a high percentage of lurkers. Heck, you can't average over 400 visits a day without lurkers!

------------------
    Steve
    OptiBoard Administrator

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Steve, I guess it just seems like not too many posts. There are actually quite a few just not too many new subjects. I guess the subjects under discussion currently are so interesting we can't stop talking about them!

See you on the board!
    Steph
    P.S
    I love the new board! You really did a great job!

Occupation
    Steph,

That's one of the big differences between a thread-based system and OptiBoard's original message-based system. As you scroll down the old OptiBoard page you see a lot of messages, but it's not readily apparent how many of these are separate message threads. This system has a much cleaner look.

After a few weeks thing's wil look a lot busier. remeber, the old Board had had 6-8 weeks worth of messages on it at any given time.

Thanks for the kind words. I've really worked hard over the last few weeks to get this new system up and running.

Thread Information