Thread: should stock uncut lenses be inventoried with AR?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

should stock uncut lenses be inventoried with AR?

We are getting an inventory of stock uncuts (+2.50 to -6.00). Cr39 from +1.00 to -3.00; Poly from +1.00 to +2.50; 1.60 from -3 to -8.00. My question is should I get the entire inventory with or without AR? The cost of the AR is negligible for stock lenses and theoretically can be a major "value added" item for the client. However, if the AR starts crazing, delaminating, smudging etc it will rapidly render the lenses useless. We usually "throw in" the AR on the stock lenses or sometimes charge a nominal fee fot it. For patients who are strongly interested in premium AR we send it for surfacing and crizal alize.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Cheap stock A/R (easy to inventory) comes back scratched and gives one the reputation of having cheap product.

Crizal is expensive to stock, the deal my essilor rep gives me to stock it only saves about $2.00 per pair over the lab. Better to wait for a lab order and not to put thousands sit in that inventory.

That thousands can have more immediate uses.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    From this thread one would assume that the only choices were cheap, poor quality stock lenses with AR or Crizal coated stock lenses. You can purchase high quality stock lens product with high quality, feature rich coatings without having the sticker shock you would experience from the famous branded product.

Doc

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    We are getting an inventory of stock uncuts (+2.50 to -6.00). Cr39 from +1.00 to -3.00; Poly from +1.00 to +2.50; 1.60 from -3 to -8.00. My question is should I get the entire inventory with or without AR? The cost of the AR is negligible for stock lenses and theoretically can be a major "value added" item for the client. However, if the AR starts crazing, delaminating, smudging etc it will rapidly render the lenses useless. We usually "throw in" the AR on the stock lenses or sometimes charge a nominal fee fot it. For patients who are strongly interested in premium AR we send it for surfacing and crizal alize.
    Depends on where you are getting your stock AR from. AR of any kind (premium or standard) should be more scratch resistant (ie: higher bayer rating) than uncoated lenses. Most scratches on AR are actually due to scratches that were actually present on the uncoated lenses and have become more apparent due to the increase in transmission. If the lenses appear scratched with the AR, then they are more than likely still scratched without it. As far as delamination, crazing, and smudging; you can always send a sample of the lenses away to COLTS or any other independent laboratory to be tested. AR should stand up fairly well in an air conditioned environment in its packaging. Smudging would most likely be due to the hydrophobic coating. Some coatings are better than others when it comes to smudging. Personally, I would think it to be a good idea to stock some AR but not all. After all, what is AR at? 30%? It would take a little thought on what to actually stock, but it definitely makes it much harder to push if you don't have some on your shelf.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina
    From this thread one would assume that the only choices were cheap, poor quality stock lenses with AR or Crizal coated stock lenses. You can purchase high quality stock lens product with high quality, feature rich coatings without having the sticker shock you would experience from the famous branded product.

Doc
    Most wholesale labs are more than happy to brag about what features their AR has. This is true. There are many brands of AR that are just as good if not better than Essilor or Zeiss' best without having to pay for the name.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh
    You are in CA? You should have plenty of local labs more than willing to compete for your business.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    This may be a headache but I might suggest reviewing the lab records to see what powers you've been ordering a/r on already :hammer:

It's tough because I think new Rx wearers like how well they see (vs fighting the glare of the lens) and then the higher powered Rx wearers seem to like it because they can see so much more clearly -

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    ilanh, You should never fear stocking an AR coated lens. Use high quality AR (here it comes, like Vivix AR stock lenses) and you will never have an issue of your lenses crazing on the shelf.

Seriously, contact me if you want high quality AR stock lenses. Our coating is one of the best in the indusrty and the price will surprise you.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Prewitt
    ilanh, You should never fear stocking an AR coated lens. Use high quality AR (here it comes, like Vivix AR stock lenses) and you will never have an issue of your lenses crazing on the shelf.

Seriously, contact me if you want high quality AR stock lenses. Our coating is one of the best in the indusrty and the price will surprise you.
    I will agree with that. Icoat does have a good coating but so do a lot of labs. I don't buy lenses, but I know there are a lot of good people there!

:cheers:

Thread Information