Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backside AR Coating on Sun Lenses

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Backside AR Coating on Sun Lenses

I'm looking to purchase a pair of quality polarized prescription lenses. I get differing opinions on whether to AR coat the backside only, or to coat both sides, or just leave them uncoated. What does everyone think? And more importantly, what kind of facts backup the opinions?

Coat both sides. Coating the backside does little, as the light still reflects off the front surface back to your eye. The frontside will be harder to clean in comparison to the backside, especially if it has super hydrophobic.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace
    Coat both sides. Coating the backside does little, as the light still reflects off the front surface back to your eye. The frontside will be harder to clean in comparison to the backside, especially if it has super hydrophobic.

Why do labs seem to want to charge more for backside only? Can they put only hydro on the front side?

Quote Originally Posted by dochsml
    Why do labs seem to want to charge more for backside only? Can they put only hydro on the front side?
    Because it has to be separated, and masked. And the coating lab runs the risk of ruining the lenses simply by coating both sides accidentally if it is missed or improperly marked on the coating order envelope.

Occupation
    Because it has to be separated, and masked. And the coating lab runs the risk of ruining the lenses simply by coating both sides accidentally if it is missed or improperly marked on the coating order envelope.
    Then why is backside only so popular if it costs more and performs less?

Then why is backside only so popular if it costs more and performs less?
    Because.... some people are uneducated.It has become quite the myth

In response to frontside only hydrophobic, yes but not many labs no how to do it correctly

Occupation
    makes sense. what's it take to do it correctly? a little sio2, a little hydro and presto!

:cheers:

makes sense. what's it take to do it correctly? a little sio2, a little hydro and presto!

and a little chromium and plasma treatment

Occupation
    and a little chromium and plasma treatment
    thanks ace.

anybody else care to comment?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wouldn't coating both surfaces increase light transmission of the lens?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Kodak stock pre-tinted lens with AR on back surface (in the UK)
    great lenses

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AEOC
    Wouldn't coating both surfaces increase light transmission of the lens?
    Yes it would. But I guess it wouldn't be significant if the lens was tinted already. I think it has become clear that the pluses far outweigh the minuses on this one.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    the labs I deal with sell the backside AR for much less expensive than both side AR.

When it comes down to it, the backside AR does give a major benefit to the lenses. I have had sunglasses without a backside AR and the visual quality is diminished. Coating both sides may be nice, but putting the coating on the front of a tinted sun lens offers no additional visual advantage, as a sun lens already cuts down on light transmission.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    the labs I deal with sell the backside AR for much less expensive than both side AR.

When it comes down to it, the backside AR does give a major benefit to the lenses. I have had sunglasses without a backside AR and the visual quality is diminished. Coating both sides may be nice, but putting the coating on the front of a tinted sun lens offers no additional visual advantage, as a sun lens already cuts down on light transmission.
    I agree. But I would still like to see hydrophobic applied to the front without AR. Most labs don't offer that. Or at least offer it the way Ace was describing in the vacuum chamber. Kind of annoying having a slick backside and rough front! Of course then we are back to having to separate out work and the lab charging a premium.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I agree. But I would still like to see hydrophobic applied to the front without AR. Most labs don't offer that. Or at least offer it the way Ace was describing in the vacuum chamber. Kind of annoying having a slick backside and rough front! Of course then we are back to having to separate out work and the lab charging a premium.
    true, but consumers never complained about how hard it was to clean a non-coated lens, only a coated lens.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    true, but consumers never complained about how hard it was to clean a non-coated lens, only a coated lens.
    It is getting better though. Anti static and oleophobic coatings seem to help. AR will always be harder to clean because of what clean is on AR lenses. Increase the transmission and see more dirt!

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

AR and polarized sunglasses lenses

ACE:
    I have to disagree with AR on the front of a sunlens. AR will increase light transmission. The purpose of AR on the backside of a Polarized lens is to prevent reflections that would occur on the rear lens surface. With a silicon based hard coating todays hydrophobics will bond to the front surface.

AR on the front will only increase light transmission and that is not what you want with a sunlens.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH
    ACE:

I have to disagree with AR on the front of a sunlens. AR will increase light transmission. The purpose of AR on the backside of a Polarized lens is to prevent reflections that would occur on the rear lens surface. With a silicon based hard coating todays hydrophobics will bond to the front surface.

AR on the front will only increase light transmission and that is not what you want with a sunlens.
    I was under the impression that most hydrophobics and oleophobics are engineered to stick best to the last layer of AR (almost always SiO2)? I'm sure it would work on the hard coat, but maybe not as well. Maybe flash mirror is the way to go?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

AR and hydrophobic

dochsml:
    I was under the impression that most hydrophobics and oleophobics are engineered to stick best to the last layer of AR (almost always SiO2)? I'm sure it would work on the hard coat, but maybe not as well. Maybe flash mirror is the way to go?
    You seem to be asking very specific questions yet using general assumptions of materials. Very few who apply hydrophobics formulate their own coating. Generally you are correct that the bonding is to the Silicon in the SiO2. A polysiloxane hard coating is silicon based and depending on the hydrophobic will likely bond in a similar manner. Also a mirror will allow good bonding.

There are many factors involved in applying proper mirrors, ARs and hydropobics.

We have tested and developed our own process to work with our ICE-TECH Advanced Polarized Lenses. We have excellent results on non-mirror and mirror lenses with our Free-ICE Super Hydrophobic

Occupation
    dochsml:

You seem to be asking very specific questions yet using general assumptions of materials. Very few who apply hydrophobics formulate their own coating. Generally you are correct that the bonding is to the Silicon in the SiO2. A polysiloxane hard coating is silicon based and depending on the hydrophobic will likely bond in a similar manner. Also a mirror will allow good bonding.

There are many factors involved in applying proper mirrors, ARs and hydropobics.

We have tested and developed our own process to work with our ICE-TECH Advanced Polarized Lenses. We have excellent results on non-mirror and mirror lenses with our Free-ICE Super Hydrophobic
    How is this hydrophobic applied? In or out of chamber?

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

hydrophobic

Our ICE-TECH Free-ICE is applied in a chamber. Unfortunately any additional information about our unique process is proprietary.

We invested a great deal in development and testing and provide limited information on the details of our processes.

Occupation
    Our ICE-TECH Free-ICE is applied in a chamber. Unfortunately any additional information about our unique process is proprietary.

We invested a great deal in development and testing and provide limited information on the details of our processes.
    Most everyone uses the same super hydrophobic / oleophobic chemical but the difference is in application. I would certainly never ask you to show your cards on your specific method. Was more curious if it was done under vacuum or not? I know they have some atmospheric chambers for applying as well along with dips and wipes and who knows what else. A PVD chamber could do it all whereas a sputtered mirror would require some other means of applying the hydro. I'm just enjoying the conversation now. My next pair is definitely going to be polarized. I think I might be able to talk someone into making sure there is hydro on both sides.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ACE:

Yes! Going without the frontside AR is also the cheap man's mirror coat. Look at the vast majority of sun lenses without an AR coat in full sunlight. The reflections are great!

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

backside a/r

ACE:

Well put....
    This is EXACTLY what my understanding of the purpose of "backside only" a/r on sunglasses....You don't want more light transmission on sunglasses.
    sharon

Thread Information