Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backside AR Coating on Sun Lenses

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical View Post
    If you people would do what I do, this discussion wouldn't be taking place. Do it right the first time: as a professional, fit your patient/customer in a wrap frame, polarized lenses with a REAL hard coat, mirror the front (flash, solid, gradient, whatever) and be done with it. A good wrap will prevent backside reflections since light cannot reach the surface of the lens. If you don't wrap, then use backside A/R to reduce reflections. It is a sun lens- why are some of you even talking about increasing light transmission? If you want more light in the eye, use a gray or brown 'B' instead of 'C'.
    The bottom line to the original query is this: backside A/R is beneficial, but not necessary. Professionals understand this, and do what they can to ensure that it is used when appropriate. (Use of it with a wrap is generally overkill.) One will find that whether the lens is polarized or not has some bearing on how important it is to use or not use backside A/R. Easiest way to resolve this issue for yourself is to try several different configurations. What you will find in the end, though, is that my suggestions are spot-on.
    And by-the-way: if you are still tinting lenses to make sunglasses... shame on you!

I argue that it is more important to have a backside AR than a polarized lens. Without a backside AR I find way too much glare, as in ghost images. With a polarized lens I do not find that the vision is much better.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I argue that it is more important to have a backside AR than a polarized lens. Without a backside AR I find way too much glare, as in ghost images. With a polarized lens I do not find that the vision is much better.
    You could be correct, depending on your evvironment. I would think that the effects of the sun are either washed-out or enhanced, depending on your situation. If I still lived over-seas, high on the globe, I would say that the need for a polarized lens wasn't as important, since grass doesn't cause much glare. I am now back in Texas. The sun is bright, and the glare from cars, buildings, streets, water, etc. is truly blinding. I have a really cool pair of non-polarized 'shades that sit on my dresser. Can't wear them. Backside A/R does nothing for driving into the rising or setting sun. It also does nothing driving away from the sun if you are looking into the rear of a fully decked-out F350 Dually with the sun shining right at it. Backside A/R also doesn't help if your are wearing wrapped sunglasses, since light doesn't reflect on what it cannot reach (as I already said). Apart from any situations like these, you are right.
    I would still argue that the best alternative is to wear polarized, mirrored, a/r coated lenses. Why settle for "next-best" or "similar to"?

Once you get your feet wet...
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I want to underscore the use of backside AR for those that do not get wrap lenses. Most of the opticians I have seen do not consider wrap lenses in an Rx form. I guess it is due to the lack of knowledge at the retail and wholesale lab level.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hippoptical:

Obviously you have never had the sun behind you (as in fishing) in the South. Glare from the backside can make everything disappear and you trying to see that monster bass you don't want this to happen.

Chip

The reason you do this is you want light transmission from the back through the front, not back toward the eye.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Chip....
    I failed to be as clear as I intended. I meant that backside A/R does nothing for the reflected glare off the back of the truck in front of you when the sun is behind. I also stated more than once that I think the combination is the key; polarized, mirror, a/r. Now, I can honestly say that I have never lost a bass because of the sun reflecting off the back of my lenses. This is for two reasons: 1. I wear wrap sunglasses that allow no light in from the back (I'm a -500 -125 ou) and 2. I don't go after that one big bass; we are not particular about our fishing (dad and I). As long as it fits in the frying pan it's a good one. We normally catch 20-40 when we go out, all legal keepers. We go after sandies (white bass for you non-Texans), hybrids, stripers, and catfish normally, and every once-in-a-while we'll go for crappies. We leave the "big bass" to those who fish for sport and have too much patience.
    My bottom line: backside a/r is recommended IF you don't wear a wrap. If you do wear a wrap, it's just extra goodness. Hope that's a little clearer.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Sight Fishing

Seeing the target is more important than glare reduction to sight fisher.

If anyone has a better mousetrap to increase spotting VA, first rounds on me. Reducing or eliminating blue light is the most common choice for spotting your target.

Bait fishers can choose whatever they think is the prettiest, mirrors included.

The more backlight a pair of fishing specs have, the more necessary a backside AR is.

tight lines
    James

Thread Information