Thread: VSP

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can anyone out there tell me the pitfalls to avoid with the VSP plan? I am an optician in an optometrical retail setting and I do not make the lenses.
    Where can you make your profit?
    Is there a way to maximize lens profits?
    Do you have any tips that may help make it more profitable?
    Or am I just being gullible?

Thanks

Bill

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You are being VERY gullible. There is VERY little money in VSP, unless you ARE VSP. Don't take it....run away, and run away fast.

Chad "I HATE VSP like nothing else in the world" Huber

P.S. On a more constructive note...go to the main page and do a search on "VSP" in the Optiboard archives, there should be a complete lesson there.

[This message has been edited by Chad Huber (edited 05-23-2000).]

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just to make sure that you can find the "Old" Archives (it took me awhile to find where Steve hid them...of course in front of my face) You have to go to the Optiboard Main Page and look in the "View Old Optiboard Messages" Link. Try the search there.

Good Luck...and did I mention...RUN and run FAST?

Chad "Mr. Clarity" Huber

[This message has been edited by Chad Huber (edited 05-23-2000).]

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    I'm ever so thankful to be independent and ineligible for VSP. Has cost me a few clients, but ses la vis. We do our own finish work and have some pride in the quality of our finished product. I wouldn't want to give that up. Got a promo from Pearle telling me how Cole Vision "owns" 50 million clients and wouldn't it be nice to be a Pearle franchisee? There's already 2 in my neighborhood. Well, we really all need to steer clear of being "managed". Al.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Hello Al,

Again your wisdom abounds and you are to be commended for being a good optician and a good businessman. The word "managed" as you put it, is perfect and I think people will get the jest of what these things really are by seeing them in just that light.

These companies that do not own an interest in your business, have taken no risk for your business and tout greater returns for your business are, in fact, managing your "money" with THEIR best interests in mind. It amazes me at how many offices will turn their profits over to to these companies in an effort to make more money, all the while being paid less than they would make by setting their own prices and doing the right amount of advertising. Don't people want to decide on their own how much they are worth over letting someone else decide for them?

You are absolutely right. When you subscribe to these companies you are letting them "manage" your practice and in essence letting them take over how much money you can make. Don't fall into that trap.

Darris "In complete agreement with Al" Chambless

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

I'm happy for those who can ignore VSP (and other 3rd party plans) but some dispensers may not have that option (just ask anyone in California!). For those who choose to participate, consider positioning the insurance portion as a starting place to upgrade the sale. If your lab is a member of the OLA, they would have access to a program entitled, "Making Managed Care Work For You." Good information for everybody involved in managed care...in fact, good info for all dispensers.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to have to take VSP in the independant office I worked at. Everyone had different coverage. No one knew exactly how to figure it out either. I hate filling those forms out to be honest. I think everyone here will probably agree with me on that one. We had a party when our doctor here quit taking GM for her exams! Unfortunately, we still take it for the glasses! What is rough is trying to explain to these retirees is what coverage they might have had while still working may no longer exits now that they are retired. They just don't understand how they put in 35 years in a company and now there insurance has either been sold to a different company or has been lessened. I hate having to explain this. I lost what would have been a good sale for this reason. The patient did exactly to me what Pete had explained earlier. Let me go through the entire sale and then after all was said and done he says "oh I have GM so that should be about $15.00" UH NO SORRY! I think that the insurance companies are one of the biggest rackets that there is.
    Just some of my thoughts!
    Talk to everyone later!
    Steph

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Al..............yet another independent who will not accept VSP. (although most Optometric practices in Maine do not either) We offer a 20% discount to VSP customers as we try to keep our customers. Works some of the time.

Jackie O
    Originally posted by Al:
    I'm ever so thankful to be independent and ineligible for VSP. Has cost me a few clients, but ses la vis. We do our own finish work and have some pride in the quality of our finished product. I wouldn't want to give that up. Got a promo from Pearle telling me how Cole Vision "owns" 50 million clients and wouldn't it be nice to be a Pearle franchisee? There's already 2 in my neighborhood. Well, we really all need to steer clear of being "managed". Al.

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just trying to figure out the new board and how to post a message (quote) without leaving the old post. Disregard this reply.
    Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down

We are not involved with VSP however a few of our old customers switched to the plan back in January. After switching they went to other shops to have their scripts filled. Almost all have been back and definitely not satisfied with their plans. Good news is, VSP or not they will be back with us next year; thank you VSP for providing terrible customer service after the point of sale.

Thread Information