Thread: Recommendations for high cylinder lenses?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Recommendations for high cylinder lenses?

I had a patient come in yesterday that was getting her first new eyeglasses in 10 years. Her rx is about -5.00 -5.75 on one eye and the other eye is about a -5.00-5.00.She has no add. Her lenses were so crazed that we could not read the power in them. I sold her a much much smaller frame and tentatively the Hoya 1.70 high index lens if available in her power.

She has VSP so that the 1.74 and the 1.70 would be the same price. The other options are 1.67 and 1.60. I will have to check with the labs tomorrow to see what lens can be used for her power.

Any recommendations for this rx?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Her lenses were so crazed that we could not read the power in them.
    Sometimes you can rub 3 in 1 oil on the lens and it will fill in the cracks enough to get a reading. I would recommend trying to find a atoric lens for her. Good Luck
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Remember to watch for the axis. -5.00 with a -5.00 cyl at 180 will be much thinner in a modern frame size than a -5.00 with a -5.00 cyl at 090.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    Remember to watch for the axis. -5.00 with a -5.00 cyl at 180 will be much thinner in a modern frame size than a -5.00 with a -5.00 cyl at 090.
    I didn't post the axis because I don't remember actually what it is, but you are right, it can make quite a difference.

Anything will be better then what she has. They look horrible. She can only see 20/50 out of them. I am sure it was a blurry 20/50. They are green in many spots and the finish is completely gone from the frame.

Her husband had a very nice pair of glasses on with an AR. Go figure.

She ordered contacts, too. She was told ten years ago she couldn't wear contacts but we are going to try. We are getting her some bitoric gas perms.

Occupation
    I didn't post the axis because I don't remember actually what it is, but you are right, it can make quite a difference.

Anything will be better then what she has. They look horrible. She can only see 20/50 out of them. I am sure it was a blurry 20/50. They are green in many spots and the finish is completely gone from the frame.

Her husband had a very nice pair of glasses on with an AR. Go figure.

She ordered contacts, too. She was told ten years ago she couldn't wear contacts but we are going to try. We are getting her some bitoric gas perms.
    Off topic, but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people with horrible RX's that go to junk stores and get junk product. I guess it is that their solutions are so expensive that they feel that they cannot afford them, but this is their life.

I am also shocked about how ignorant some people with high rx's are about glasses. I mean some of these people have been wearing glasses for 30 years, and still do not understand why it is beneficial to get this or that.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Off topic, but it never ceases to amaze me the amount of people with horrible RX's that go to junk stores and get junk product. I guess it is that their solutions are so expensive that they feel that they cannot afford them, but this is their life.

I am also shocked about how ignorant some people with high rx's are about glasses. I mean some of these people have been wearing glasses for 30 years, and still do not understand why it is beneficial to get this or that.
    She was convinced that she needed a big frame to hold her lenses. I had to do some major convincing to get her to go with a small frame. She had a lot of trouble with the idea that a smaller frame would hold her lenses just as well and would be thinner.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    She was convinced that she needed a big frame to hold her lenses. I had to do some major convincing to get her to go with a small frame. She had a lot of trouble with the idea that a smaller frame would hold her lenses just as well and would be thinner.
    The seiko 1.67 is what I'd use. AR would also be a big help. Some reason the Seiko 1.7 comes out thinner than the 1.7 hoya. Not actually sure why, they just do. I have found some reasons for this though. Atoric would be almost impossible to find with this much cyl. For that you'd have to find some free form or something like that.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim, why would you recommend 1.67 over 1.7 or 1.74? I have never used or even heard of Seiko 1.7. I always use the Hoya. Perhaps the Seiko has a thinner center.

AR is a given. She didn't want it at first because her others had crazed but I told her AR has come a long way in 10 years.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Jim, why would you recommend 1.67 over 1.7 or 1.74? I have never used or even heard of Seiko 1.7. I always use the Hoya. Perhaps the Seiko has a thinner center.

AR is a given. She didn't want it at first because her others had crazed but I told her AR has come a long way in 10 years.
    That was one reason, yes the Seiko was ground with a thinner center that the 1.7. In this case , I think both products would have to be ground, due to the cyl. I am also not sure the hoya has an aspheric front or not. I just know that the -6 1. 67 seiko had a thinner edge than the hoya 1.7. Also I did not see the "given" AR. Another reason I prefer the Sieko product is they are water clear. The hoya products have a little color. Just compare the color. It really stands out with AR.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By given AR I just meant that I wouldn't want to do the lenses without it. :)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    By given AR I just meant that I wouldn't want to do the lenses without it. :)
    I know.:cheers:

Occupation
    I don't like the Seiko AR.

I have not been happy with how it stands up.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I don't like the Seiko AR.

I have not been happy with how it stands up.
    We are talking about a grind rx here. Put Alerze are craze all . What ever.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just an update, couldn't do it in 1.7 or 1.74 so I did it in 1.67 with Carat Advantage.

They looked great! They were very thin and the patient was very pleased. It made a huge difference. She is doing pretty well with her contacts, too.

Thread Information