Thread: visual field question

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

visual field question

question # 1. when you get enlarged physilogical blind spot on visual field print-out what would your most propable diagnosis be?

questiom#2.when there is total absence of physiological blind spot graphic on VF print out chart what would your most probable diagnosis be?

thank you in advance.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    looks like there are no ophthalmic personnel on this board.:o

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Graduate
    question # 1. when you get enlarged physilogical blind spot on visual field print-out what would your most propable diagnosis be?

questiom#2.when there is total absence of physiological blind spot graphic on VF print out chart what would your most probable diagnosis be?

thank you in advance.
    Meant to reply to this from the office so I could give you a more detailed answer, but apparently I won't remember. So here goes.....

Enlarged blindspot can be several things, some harmless and some of concern. It could be a large staphyloma or other physical abnormality of the fundus. It could be related to intracranial hypertension. It could be one of those funny idiopathic conditions (AIBES - acute idiopathic blind spot enlargement syndrome), it could be the patient moving his/her eyes during the testing so that the blind spot is no longer where it was originally plotted.

Actually, try this pubmed search: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ND+enlargement

Lack of blind spot is unquestionably an artifact. It is not possible to see out of the optic nerve. Your patient is trigger happy or fixates poorly.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    Meant to reply to this from the office so I could give you a more detailed answer, but apparently I won't remember. So here goes.....

Enlarged blindspot can be several things, some harmless and some of concern. It could be a large staphyloma or other physical abnormality of the fundus. It could be related to intracranial hypertension. It could be one of those funny idiopathic conditions (AIBES - acute idiopathic blind spot enlargement syndrome), it could be the patient moving his/her eyes during the testing so that the blind spot is no longer where it was originally plotted.

Actually, try this pubmed search: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...ND+enlargement

Lack of blind spot is unquestionably an artifact. It is not possible to see out of the optic nerve. Your patient is trigger happy or fixates poorly.
    I am pleased that you replied.I had this patient who thrice showed absence of physiological blind spot on humphrey.I noticed doctor remark as "abolished disc".

i wish there were many interested in this area.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could it be that the patient had both eyes exposed to see the screen? The optic nerve blind spot isn't in the same place on the fellow eye you know.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Could it be that the patient had both eyes exposed to see the screen? The optic nerve blind spot isn't in the same place on the fellow eye you know.
    Good point Chip. What type of field test was it?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am pleased that you replied.I had this patient who thrice showed absence of physiological blind spot on humphrey
    Humphrey so the visual field was an automated perimeter. I haven't seen a tangent screen used in forever. Also the most common mistake I see happen is that the patient is not wearing the correction he/she needs or wears a dirty scratched pair which will affect the results. The patients visual acuity should always be checked before the test. Leave the diagnosis for the doctors the focus of an ophthalmic techs job is to perform the test correctly, not interpret the results.

If you were interested in a forum that focuses on ophthalmic techs visit www.eyeontechs.com it is run by John Randazzo who I beleive is the treasurer of the Association for Technical Personnel in Ophthalmology (ATPO).
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    Humphrey so the visual field was an automated perimeter.
    I was looking for the type of test (120 point screening, estermann, 24-2, etc), not the type of instrument.

Some of these tests are binocular so there would be no blind spot, others don't plot the blind spot, they just ignore/avoid it. A 10-2 doesn't even reach as far as the blind spot and can look similar to a 24 or 30-2 which would show one.
    Last edited by Ory; 07-18-2006 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling & clarity

Occupation
    I was looking for the type of test (120 point screening, estermann, 24-2, etc), not the type of instrument.
    Sorry I misunderstood your question. My office would use a 120 point full field or the 24-2 for general patient screening and the 30-2 for glaucoma and glaucoma suspects. Again, sometimes I would perform the tests but would have no need to diagnose other than to see if I can guess what the doctor is going to diagnose.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    ory-the program was monocular full field(120)full threshold.

chip-i have noted your very useful point.It is possible patient was peeking through occluder.

harry i could not open the website you descibed.I think should be www.eyetech.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    ory-the program was monocular full field(120)full threshold.

chip-i have noted your very useful point.It is possible patient was peeking through occluder.

harry i could not open the website you descibed.I think should be www.eyetech.com
    A typical FF120 does not have a blind spot plotted on the printout, only a little triangle denoting where it is. You can turn off blind spot monitoring and hence that little triangle disappears. Is this what we're talking about?

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    A typical FF120 does not have a blind spot plotted on the printout, only a little triangle denoting where it is. You can turn off blind spot monitoring and hence that little triangle disappears. Is this what we're talking about?
    probably that is what may be happening.i will make double check.

Occupation
    The site is www.eyeontechs.com and for some reason the post added the %20 or the encoded space after the address wich is throwing it off.

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Thumbs up thanx

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    The site is www.eyeontechs.com and for some reason the post added the %20 or the encoded space after the address wich is throwing it off.
    thanks man,you have directed me home.the site opens:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Regarding ABO studyMaterials!!

Hello,

I'm planning to take the ABO test on this November. Rightnow, i'm studying frm the set of workbbks/cd set for "Exam Preparation for Spectacle Dispensing" which i got it frm Optical training institute (www.opticaltraining.com). I just want to know, if its really good to prepare for ABO or if anyone has anyother ideas? Also, I want to know, which is the good book for ABO math?? Pls.. reply me..Thanks..

waiting.... mjacob:idea:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Thumbs up www.nao.org

Quote Originally Posted by mjacob
    Hello,

I'm planning to take the ABO test on this November. Rightnow, i'm studying frm the set of workbbks/cd set for "Exam Preparation for Spectacle Dispensing" which i got it frm Optical training institute (www.opticaltraining.com). I just want to know, if its really good to prepare for ABO or if anyone has anyother ideas? Also, I want to know, which is the good book for ABO math?? Pls.. reply me..Thanks..

waiting.... mjacob:idea:
    Contact this organization: www.nao.org

they have the books you need.

Thread Information