Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What music do you listen to lately?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I run the gamot in music.

Everything from classical (love Aaron Copland) to Linkin Park.

I have the complete Andrew Lloyd Weber collection, and also have CDs from Michael W Smith, Ray Schultz, (been to several Carmen concerts) and lots of country CDs as well. Favorites include Martina McBride, Trisha Yearwood, and Keith Urban...

Was going to take my neice to Panic in the Disco, till her tickets fell through.. though she is now going with me to see Brooks & Dunn with Sugarland on Friday :)

Heck, I even have a few old school rap songs from the Beastie Boys.. Well I have many 70's and 80's CD collections along with a couple 50's and 60's as well. I suppose that is the reason why I like the Rhino Instant Party collections.

Play that Funky Music, Devil with a Blue Dress, Hooked on Swing, I'm Too Sexy and the Banana Boat Song, along with many others all on one disc, it is a great compiliation of fun!

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Never been there

do they serve whisky?

Where are you from Ory, your Yee Haw sounded a little funny?:shiner:

Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    Well yee haw, lets head to Bob's country bunker!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren Zevon's "Sentimental Hygene"

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by James Herman
    do they serve whisky?

Where are you from Ory, your Yee Haw sounded a little funny?:shiner:
    You know, Bob's country bunker. Where the Good Ol' blues brothers Boys play.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation

Pat Green, Robert Earl Keen, Hayes Carl

all artist have played behind chicken wire.

YEE HAW!!!

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Micheal W. Smith...

Now there's a blast from the past (actually, I guess he still writes/performs).

Before he disappeared from the contemporary Christian music scene, I used to really like Michael English (unfortunately, when you have an affair with a member of another Christian band, that sorta hurts your chances of making it big as a gospel artist).

Back in the day, I enjoyed listening to Steve Taylor as well.

Anyway, I dusted off my older CDs and found "The Big Picture," "Go West Young Man," and "Change Your World." I don't know if he's still limiting himself to the CCM scene- perhaps you're referring to newer stuff he's doing... I just listened to a lot of his music in high school, and haven't heard anyone mention that name in quite a while. Thanks for a trip down memory lane!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    He's still out there, praising

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    Micheal W. Smith...

Now there's a blast from the past (actually, I guess he still writes/performs).

Before he disappeared from the contemporary Christian music scene, I used to really like Michael English (unfortunately, when you have an affair with a member of another Christian band, that sorta hurts your chances of making it big as a gospel artist).

Back in the day, I enjoyed listening to Steve Taylor as well.

Anyway, I dusted off my older CDs and found "The Big Picture," "Go West Young Man," and "Change Your World." I don't know if he's still limiting himself to the CCM scene- perhaps you're referring to newer stuff he's doing... I just listened to a lot of his music in high school, and haven't heard anyone mention that name in quite a while. Thanks for a trip down memory lane!
    But the other party to the affair remained on the scene....duh.

Anyway, I love Michael W. Smith as well.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    How about Bebo Norman, Jennifer Knapp (alltime favorite!), Third day or Jars of Clay?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Really?!? As I recall, she was from Second Chapter of Acts, or First Call, or one of those trio groups.

Personally, I don't see why Michael English left the gospel scene- I snatched up as many of his sound tracks as I could before the "Christian Bookstores" tossed them off the shelf. Okay, so he made a mistake- isn't the whole point of the Gospels that we all make mistakes (Rom. 3:23), which is why God provides grace (Rom. 6:23).

Sorry, end of sermon- its just funny how a religion built upon the triumph of God's grace & righteousness over mankind's sinful nature always seems so hesitant to forgive those who actually need forgiveness!

PS- Returning to the topic of CCM performers, one has to mention Amy Grant, Steve Green, Keith Green, Leon Patillo, Truth, Rez Band, Point of Grace, and a whole range of really solid artists who sing music of an upbeat spiritual nature (oh, and Sandi Patti- if you can tolerate a mezzo soprano... never my ball of wax).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Really?!? As I recall, she was from Second Chapter of Acts, or First Call, or one of those trio groups.

Personally, I don't see why Michael English left the gospel scene- I snatched up as many of his sound tracks as I could before the "Christian Bookstores" tossed them off the shelf. Okay, so he made a mistake- isn't the whole point of the Gospels that we all make mistakes (Rom. 3:23), which is why God provides grace (Rom. 6:23).

Sorry, end of sermon- its just funny how a religion built upon the triumph of God's grace & righteousness over mankind's sinful nature always seems so hesitant to forgive those who actually need forgiveness!

PS- Returning to the topic of CCM performers, one has to mention Amy Grant, Steve Green, Keith Green, Leon Patillo, Truth, Rez Band, Point of Grace, and a whole range of really solid artists who sing music of an upbeat spiritual nature (oh, and Sandi Patti- if you can tolerate a mezzo soprano... never my ball of wax).
    2nd Chapter of Acts...now there's a name I've not heard in a long time - Matthew Ward's voice still impresses me to no end.

Michael English had an affair with
    Marabeth Jordon of First Call - ruined both their careers in the CCM genre. Although Michael English did return to CCM in 2005 and even had a greatest hits album released in June of this year. He still has a solid voice - and has repented of his sin...and we are all sinners saved by grace.

Now I'll get off my soapbox. :D Speaking of classis CCM, how about some Glass Harp with Phil Keaggy, Petra, Larry Norman, Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart, DeGarmo & Key, WhiteHeart, AD, Daniel Amos, and who here remembers Barry McGuire?

Currently my iPod has Chris Tomlin, David Crowder, Third Day, Chris Rice, Casting Crowns, Jadon Lavik, Santus Real, Todd Agnew and Pocket Full of Rocks in heavy rotation.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Petra... wow, that's another blast from the past (I remember some song about "Rose-colored stained glass windows")!

What about Steve Taylor- anyone else listen to "Meltdown at Madame Tussaud's?"

PS- Mylon LeFevre was never one of my favorite artists, but he is probably one of 6 acts I've actually seen in live concert (I recall going to the concert because some girl was going).
    Last edited by Pete Hanlin; 07-24-2006 at 11:53 AM.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Petra... wow, that's another blast from the past (I remember some song about "Rose-colored stained glass windows")!

What about Steve Taylor- anyone else listen to "Meltdown at Madame Tussaud's?"

PS- Mylon LeFevre was never one of my favorite artists, but he is probably one of 6 acts I've actually seen in live concert (I recall going to the concert because some girl was going).
    Forgot all about Steve Taylor - still one of my favorites all these years later.

You don't want a list of the concerts I've been to...but square that 6 and you're about half way there. And that doesn't include all the summer festivals I find myself at.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Actually, there is some sort of annual Christian "Woodstock-like" music festival in rural Pennsylvania (or there used to be, years back). Now that I think about it, I remember driving my '80 Ford Pinto (I loved that car) out there one year with a bunch of friends and camping out listening to music (that's where I saw Steve Taylor live). I would count that as one "really long" concert- but I must have seen at least 20 acts at that single event, so...
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    That would be Creation Fest - now called Creation East because they have a West Coast version as well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know this is old but right now Im listening to LeAnn Rimes do a great rendiction of CRAZY and UnChained Melody. At least on these two she has an unbelievable voice. Just my 2 cents

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rinselberg View Post
    If you like to listen to music online, try Pandora Internet "radio".
    I know I'm a year late with this reply, but this recommendation deserves to be brought to the top! Sign-up for the free registration, type in your favorite artist or song, then knock yourself out for a few hours giving plenty of "thumbs up" (and a few "thumbs down") to this on-line artificial intelligence jukebox. www.pandora.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At work we usually jam along with XM's channel 83, Chrome. It's classic disco. I know, I know, but it does well for work. Otherwise I enjoy modern jazz/fusion such as Soulive, John Scofield, MMW, and Garaj Mahal.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have they recorded anything worth listening to since Fats Domino retired?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Right now? Nestor Torres...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stone Temple Pilots -Atlanta
    Saliva-Your Disease
    Godsmack-any song, plug in, crank up, and rock out!
    Johnny Cash - You name, I play it (too often according to the Misses!)
    Blind Faith-Can't Find my Way Home

Banned
    Occupation

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Cobra Starship!!!!!!!
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know this goes back a few months but I just got "The Eagles Long Road Out Of Eden" I always thought their harmonies were great but I thought over the years they would have lost there edge but listening to this they sound as great as ever. Nothing matches "Desperado" but what can!
    Just my 2 cents

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lately I have been on a very different kick. I heard an NPR interview with John Jorgenson and became an instant fan. He does gypsy jazz in the style of Django Reinhardt. I picked up his album from iTunes that night. Have been listening to it while I read during lunch everyday since.

Also just got the new Lenny Kravitz album but haven’t properly listened to it yet since it just came out Tuesday.
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

Thread Information