Thread: a thanks from Urban Spectacles of Wood.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

a thanks from Urban Spectacles of Wood.

i just wanted to thank the optiboard community for all the information i have recieved while fine tuning some of the processes in making my custom wooden eyewear. Lots of helpful info here, i look forward to using the forum.

best,
    scott urban.

let me know what you think of my specs,
    www.urbanspectacles.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quite an interesting concept. The sample shots you have are very original and I'm really impressed with some of the shapes.

Quick question not covered on your site. Who does all these head measurements? Are your customers required to head to Chicago?

Good luck!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    thanks for the kind comment ory,

i can get measurements a few ways. it is best to have the person in front of me so i can be the one doing hands on measuring. i have made a few pairs for clients whom i never met. in this case i had them send a head shot in email with an object such as a ruler for a reference of scale. i could then take digital measurements very accurately. also, when in doubt, take the measurements from a already owned pair of frames that fits well.

thanks again,
    scott

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have a few clients that would find your offerings very 'interesting' to say the least. Do you sell directly to the end consumer or through opticians who refer cleints to you for fittings? Also...what price ranges are we talking about - just rough estimates.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    hello cjcarlen,

for the past year or so i have been selling my frames directly to the client. this is due to the fact that mounting the lens into the rim is a delicate process which sometimes requires the back of the frame to be shaved down a hair.

i am currently devising a few constructions which would be easier for anybody to mount the lenses. ive seen a slit cut on the fronts near the temples with screws from underneath, and also the same concept done to the bridge. i dont really like that barely visable slit though. any other suggestions?

also a problem with optical shops compared to my work is that most deal in wholesale, and to do all the work by hand, wholesale for me takes too long and my wholesale price just wouldnt be low enough for most. but that is another area that i am working on. my specs may appear here in chicago at a shop called Eye Spy Optical. i met a lady who works there and she mentioned they might be into arranging a deal.

as for price, the frames start at four hundred for more basic designs and construction, adding any intricate detail or complex design will bring the price up from there. and i like to work with the client to find the right design for them.

hope this helps. and thanks for passing on my frames to your friends.

scott.

Thread Information