Thread: WEARING ONE LENS

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow

Had a lady in today, who was post op cataract two months ago. Since the doc had not released a final rx yet, he told her to go to an optician and just have them take out the one lens. I refused and caught some flack for it. Why weould any doc want to do this, if nothing else just from the safety aspect....harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Happens all the time here. Usually doesn't work but it does get the patient out of the doctor's office for awhile to come try it. ...I think that is why some of them are given this "solution".

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Harry, I think you're right to be concerned. We carry a small supply of plano "culls" that we edge on the spot in cases like that, and charge 5 or10 bucks, or not at all for good customers. Looks better, safer, builds good will with patient, Dr. ect.

Bad address email on file Mark Rice's Avatar
    I consulted one of our Docs last year on a similar case. Turns out the existing Rx in the frames was causing the patient more visual discomfort than having no Rx. The eye was still not stable enough for the Doc to write permanent Rx and so to save the patient $$ doc ordered the old lens removed. I too think for saftey and esthetics a plano and little or no cost for good patient would be advisable. Take Care

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Years ago when cataract were done years apart, one: Frosted the lens on the eye with the least acuity after surgery. If the operated eye saw better than the non-operated, you frosted the non-operated, etc.

Then you surfaced the frosted lens with fine emery and did not polish it. Now just take some very fine emery paper and lightly sand the lens you want to frost.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Yea, done that lots, too. Really, though, whether I loosen the screw or they do, does it matter. Keep in mind Canada is not a litiginous a the U.S.

One shop I worked at had an M.D. across from us, and we charged $25 per cull. Made a killing....

------------------
    Shwing;-}

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry, I agree with you. Taking out a lens gives the patient a false sense of security. Although we dispense "corrective" lenses, safety is definately an issue. I will not do it. I will, however, edge a plano for $15.00.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What makes one think that the side of the glasses without a lens is less safe than all the emetropes that wear no glasses on both eyes to begin with. Unless you are worried about some esoteric damage from short term UV while the eye heals, what's the problem other than asthetics?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It is beyond cosmesis. I have seen individuals sublax IOL lenses from injury in the healing time. Talk about a problem because there has been times that a CL needs to be fit after a fiasco like this.

Plano lenses serve as a wonderful alternative especially if you edge your own and the patient returns or has been your patient for years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you wear glasses all/most of the time, you tend to rely on that shield in front of the eyes... when one eye is "guarded" behind a lens, but the other isn't, you may forget and move in too close to a hazard...and risk damage to the "unguarded" eye. To me, that's the safety issue: will I remember that I don't have a lens there? (I can't even remember to take my clear lenses off before I attempt to put on my sunglasses sometimes!)
    jP

Thread Information