Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horrible Oakley Experience.

OptiBoard Novice

Horrible Oakley Experience.

I received my Juliet X-Metal / Ruby Iridiums yesterday from UPS.. Naturally I was very excited to finally have the glasses that took 2 weeks to ship to me, so I promptly opened the box, and made my way to the actual sunglasses. I take them out.. and look them over, and wouldn't you know it.. there's some sort of scratch etched into the front of the Nose guard...almost looks like a fancy 2 or 8. It's very faint, but I can see it up close, and I know it's there (knowing it's there is the problem, not necessarily being able to see it from 6 inches away). After all, 425 dollars for a pair of sunglasses, you would expect perfection, correct? So I call Oakley and set up a Return / Exchange... they give me a Return Authorization Number, and say they'll ship them out 2 day Air to expediate the process...Not 10 seconds after the rep. says this, he goes silent, comes back and says "actually, im sorry sir it seems these glasses are backordered again"... I say okay, well how long... he said July 25th, the earliest...but most likely early August. So now I've sent my sunglasses back, and wont receive any for 2.5-4 weeks. What do they make like 10 pair of these, at 425 a pop, how many people could possibly want them. They have the X-Metal / Black Iridium in stock, but wont do a frame replacement on these...I'll try to add some pictures to show you all what the problem is with my frame.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma735
    I received my Juliet X-Metal / Ruby Iridiums yesterday from UPS.. Naturally I was very excited to finally have the glasses that took 2 weeks to ship to me, so I promptly opened the box, and made my way to the actual sunglasses. I take them out.. and look them over, and wouldn't you know it.. there's some sort of scratch etched into the front of the Nose guard...almost looks like a fancy 2 or 8. It's very faint, but I can see it up close, and I know it's there (knowing it's there is the problem, not necessarily being able to see it from 6 inches away). After all, 425 dollars for a pair of sunglasses, you would expect perfection, correct? So I call Oakley and set up a Return / Exchange... they give me a Return Authorization Number, and say they'll ship them out 2 day Air to expediate the process...Not 10 seconds after the rep. says this, he goes silent, comes back and says "actually, im sorry sir it seems these glasses are backordered again"... I say okay, well how long... he said July 25th, the earliest...but most likely early August. So now I've sent my sunglasses back, and wont receive any for 2.5-4 weeks. What do they make like 10 pair of these, at 425 a pop, how many people could possibly want them. They have the X-Metal / Black Iridium in stock, but wont do a frame replacement on these...I'll try to add some pictures to show you all what the problem is with my frame.
    Makes a case for buying them at an authorized Oakley dealer...where you could look them over *before* purchasing ...and avoid the hassles of interent purchases

Barry Santini ABOM

OptiBoard Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini
    Makes a case for buying them at an authorized Oakley dealer...where you could look them over *before* purchasing ...and avoid the hassles of interent purchases

Barry Santini ABOM
    I would have definately.. except these are internet / phone / oakley outlet purchase only.. and the only Oakley outlet close to me is in downtown Manhattan.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Makes a case for buying them .............................

I have been following the Oakley distribution process for the last 2 years...........and I am wondering why any optician of sound mind even wants to become an authorized dealer.

They sell directly online.................................

They sell in their corporation owned stores of which there are more and more in diffenert places..............

On top of that it requires to be an authorized dealer to sell merchandisee or products that are sold already in a established competitive environment.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    why be an authorized dealer?? Because it sells itself. Some products are only available by dealers...Rx suns for example. They do work at their own pace down there, though. Recently got a pair of Monster Dogs with Pal/transitions in that took over a month to receive. I have a pair of juliets with fire irid polarized getting "tuned up" (scratched lenses and loose gaskets) that I've been without for a month. People come in with the print up with what they want from online and I order it and charge them the price on the sheet. Easy....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    I have been following the Oakley distribution process for the last 2 years...........and I am wondering why any optician of sound mind even wants to become an authorized dealer.

They sell in their corporation owned stores of which there are more and more in diffenert places..............

On top of that it requires to be an authorized dealer to sell merchandisee or products that are sold already in a established competitive environment.
    Because they are great to deal with, it has super high brand loyalty and I have grown my business exponetially since I signed on with Oakley. People learn about my office from there website.

I am an avid Oakley fan.

Cindy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would have definately.. except these are internet / phone / oakley outlet purchase only.. and the only Oakley outlet close to me is in downtown Manhattan.
    Really? I have mine on order (for my store) since June, and expect to receive them shortly

barry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    While the glasses may sell by themselves on its looks, the people making it and distributing it are to say the least, not very pleasant to deal with. Perhaps its not their fault and lately, it appears that they are on backorders for many items and the quality factor has taken a plunge.

I understand taking the time to produce something of high quality, but I don't understand why it takes so long to supply inconsistent and mediocre quality.

The postitives about Oakley is that I seldom need to do marketing for these and very little sales pitch is required to sell them. People come in preparing to splurge. Obviously, we are unhappy that their website and an countless subsidiary chains and stores are becoming unwanted competitors.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Hmmm...built in marketing, a 'known' product, brand loyal customers....shall I go on?

I always wonder why opticians don't work with Oakley. I always want to offer my patients the best products - Oakley is one of the sunglass products on the market.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oakley very nice product............

you said it right,they sell them self's..

but I do agree on corporation owned stores of which there are more and more in diffenert place's is NOT good for us who own stores,it disapoints me when wholesale companies go in to retail,they have the dollor to do so.but what they don't have is coustomer service,becouse we all know if you own your own buisness you treat your coustomers like gold,and those people who work for a company are ther to get a pay check.

retail store's luxottica,safilo,oakley, who next?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cjcarlen
    I always want to offer my patients the best products - Oakley is one of the best sunglass products on the market.

Wow! So this is what my competition thinks is the best ?

What makes them the best? Could it be...

-The made up names for common products?
    -The fancy black cardboard boxes?
    -The fancy names for their cases? (some of which look like Dr. Ruth made them)
    -The long time customers wait to receive orders. (They MUST be good)
    -The way they rant about the Made In USA,but then admit most are from China?
    -The way it take them 3 months to process a credit?
    -The way the send you frames "just because the rep thinks you should have them"?

I don't know what breaks my heart more; a consumer that was not happy with an online purchase , or an optician that thinks Oakley ranks as "best products":hammer:.

Occupation

I don't know what breaks my heart more......................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    I don't know what breaks my heart more; a consumer that was not happy with an online purchase , or an optician that thinks Oakley ranks as "best products".
    It does not really matter, independent optical stores and owners should support other independent suppliers and not pad the coffers of large corporations that are in direct competition with the.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

-The way the send you frames "just because the rep thinks you should have them"?

I don't know what breaks my heart more; a consumer that was not happy with an online purchase , or an optician that thinks Oakley ranks as "best products":hammer:.
    * Or not so commen products...they are exceptional with rx lenses....not that my lab isnt great but Ill give them the ability to work with high base curves very well..
    * The warranty policy has been great.
    * My credits have always been pretty quick
    * It attracts tons of business to our office. Oakley sunglass wearers have family members whom generally find there way to our practice.
    * I know this sounds rediculous but it gives us a cool factor that younger to middle age (working $$) people like about us.
    * My rep is fantabulous!

I wasnt always a fan...I hated there website, but now it generates business for me. I really really cant complain. It has been overall positive for me.

Call me crazy!

Cindy

Occupation

:finger:
    Hmmm...

Let's look at the competition (and I'm talking poly for poly, not poly against glass).

Maui Jim - Poly Lenses by Younger.
    Revo - Poly Lenses by Vision-Ease.
    Killer Loop - Poly Lenses by Vision-Ease.
    Arnette - Poly Lenses by Vision-Ease.

What possibly makes those any better than Oakley? Nothing, Zero, Ziltch, Nada....Poly is Poly, and thanks to the music industry we have fairly clean substrats to work with so any of the old arguments against poly don't stand up any longer.

Oakley is a name people know with a style people want. The presence of Oakley in our practice has increased plano sales by almost 30%. Before Oakley we prominetly showed Maui Jim and Revo. They sold well, but not that well.

You want to talk about difficult to work with companies - try working with Maui Jim. Rx work takes 3-4 weeks, Oakley gets the job done in 7 working days. Ask Maui Jim to make a Rx over their Rx range - won't happen. Ask Oakley to go past their established range - they make it work if it's within reason.

And in the for what it's worth department - our credit was cleared in 4 days. We asked for an increase, it was taken care of on the spot.

What breaks my heart is an optician that just can't see the forest for the trees. Oakley sells, plain and simple.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm...

Let's look at the competition (and I'm talking poly for poly, not poly against glass).

What possibly makes those any better than Oakley? Nothing, Zero, Ziltch, Nada.
    Watch out for Essilor's soon-to-be-released whole package for wrap lenses/frames. Like Zeiss/Sola, they'll feature Essilor-branded lenses refigured (*re*-aspherized, I believe) for wrap Rx work, along with the typical Essilor well-thought-out approach for a parameter-measuring system to make wraps *really* work well. I believe this system will also include new, Essilor edging equipement (CNC based?) to trace and cut lenses for wraps so that they fit...and stay in...once and for all.

I'm looking forward to this release, because although I am an Oakley dealer, I think their Rx program is just so much *smoke-and-mirrors* To sum up, I kinda think about Oakley the way I think about magnetic clip-on frames: It's too bad the companies that have these technologies *are* who they *are*

Barry Santini, ABOM

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=cjcarlen]:finger:
    Poly is Poly, and thanks to the music industry we have fairly clean substrats to work with so any of the old arguments against poly don't stand up any longer.
    QUOTE]

Thank you for making my point.

I don't think Oakley sells "poly" though...don't they call it plutoniumsubtratesupermansflatualance, or something high tech and clever like that?

OptiBoard Novice
    It does not really matter, independent optical stores and owners should support other independent suppliers and not pad the coffers of large corporations that are in direct competition with the.
    First of all, this was not an online purchase, it was by phone (not that that matters). Second of all, I had a demo of the glasses at the Oakley Vault in downtown Toronto, but they did not have any in stock, just a floor pair, and I was just passing through for a Yankee game. This is how I knew there was a defect in the frame.... Third, the sales rep. in the Vault told me the Juliet X-METAL WITH RUBY IRIDIUM LENS are in limited production and to order themonline / by phone / or purchase in an Oakley Vault / Outlet store, because they werent likely being shipped to other authorized dealers.

For $425 it shouldn't matter how I order them, they should be in mint condition.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Enigma 735,

Let me be brutally honest with you...

There's a good chance that if I were not in the business that I'm in, and didn't know what I know, that I would have done the same thing you did. My motivation would have been to save money, and given my track record, I would have had even worse results than you did.

Relaying your story to a group of (mostly) independent eye care providers is like logging on to an independent tire instlaller's web site, and telling them how unhappy you are with the service you received at the WalMart tire center.

When we hear stories about consumers that are unhappy when they go directly to those that supply us, we are, in many cases elated.

Don't take the replies personally. I'm glad you posted, as it shows that money is not always the factor that makes people go online to buy, but rather the motivation is to get the product you want- anyway necessary.

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Johns]
    Poly is Poly, and thanks to the music industry we have fairly clean substrats to work with so any of the old arguments against poly don't stand up any longer.
    QUOTE]

Thank you for making my point.

I don't think Oakley sells "poly" though...don't they call it plutoniumsubtratesupermansflatualance, or something high tech and clever like that?
    YOU'RE FUNNY:o
    sharon

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Just to set the record straight....................

Just to set the record straight here are the ddetails for Polycarbonate and it makes NO difference who uses it and stamps his name on it. The basic material has not changed over the years. :bbg:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    You want to talk about difficult to work with companies - try working with Maui Jim. Rx work takes 3-4 weeks, Oakley gets the job done in 7 working days. Ask Maui Jim to make a Rx over their Rx range - won't happen. Ask Oakley to go past their established range - they make it work if it's within reason.
    Wow, maybe you need to have a talk with them. We get our Maui Rx jobs in about 3 business days in most cases and overnight if we ask for it (and we order it early enough)

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

sunglasses

Third, the sales rep. in the Vault told me the Juliet X-METAL WITH RUBY IRIDIUM LENS .

What are iridium lenses?
    sharon

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by sharon m./ aboc
    What are iridium lenses?
    Oakley's special way of saying mirror coated.

Occupation
    Just to set the record straight here are the ddetails for Polycarbonate and it makes NO difference who uses it and stamps his name on it. The basic material has not changed over the years. :bbg:

My point exactly. :cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_gonzales
    Wow, maybe you need to have a talk with them. We get our Maui Rx jobs in about 3 business days in most cases and overnight if we ask for it (and we order it early enough)
    See...you have a great experience with them, I have yet to be happy with anything they send me.

Some here seem to have major issues with Oakley, I have never had a problem dealing with Oakley at any level...go figure.

Thread Information