Thread: Binocular refraction

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Daryl, Attended the Presbyopia Forum in Portugal and had the opportunity to attend this lecture by Irving Borish, and to chat with him some during the week. I wish i was lot's smarter.Some points he made 1. helped pts made better end point decision, many pts sensitive to 0.08D, between 2 and 12% will have a 0.50d difference(from monocular refraction), 2. cyclophoria may influence monocular test..can't have vertical phoria without induced cyclophoria,3. cylinder axises more aligned with binocular,4. may reveal suppression,5. may reveal lateral disparity,6. permits measuring aneisokonia and stereoacuity,7. better nearpoint analysis,8. nearpoint astigmatism varies( mean average variance is 4.4 degrees),42% showed a variance of more than 5 degrees 14% show a cyl. power variance of 0.50d from far to near. When we studied refraction, binocular balancing was done at the end, but Dr. Borish was talking about doing the refraction with both eyes open, using a +0.75 to fog the eye not being refracted, and polarized filters, all very interesting! Al.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Well, Dr. Borish definitely "wrote the book" on refraction... I would certainly consider him a knowledgeable source on the matter. :)

Best regards,
    Darryl

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

I used Dr. Borish's huge two volume work (Clinical Refraction) as one of the primary sources in my Masters paper. I came away convinced that 1.) this fella's family must not see him much, and 2.) Dr. Borish has surely forgotten more about refraction than most people will ever know! It must be interesting to be the most informed person in the world on a particular subject... kinda like the Tiger Woods of refraction!

Pete

Thread Information