Thread: 4,000th post! (Who are the long timers among us?)

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

4,000th post! (Who are the long timers among us?)

Couldn't help noticing the "3,999" that popped up when I posted my last post... So, this is 4,000 on the "new" forum- which brings me to my real subject.

How long have y'all been on OptiBoard, how did you find it, and how has it contributed to your career/life?

Personally, it was back in 1996 or so (I think I had over 1,000 posts on the old format- this one is much better!), and my very first post inquired about the theoretical possibility of a clear polarizing filter (turns out it is possible- they have them for laser applications- but its not feasible for ophthalmic devices- drat!). I found Optiboard while doing a search for the American Board of Opticianry's website.

Career-wise, my move from my home state of Pennsylvania to Florida was- in part- due to a practice consultant contacting me after noticing some postings I had made on Optiboard (I've yet to LOSE a job due to OptiBoard- I guess time will tell... ;^).

I've met (and had the priviledge to personally meet) numerous Optiboarders who I am extremely proud & fortunate to know, including obviously Steve and the lovely Marlena (I hope I've remembered Mrs. Machol's name correctly- I'm horrid with names and its been a couple years now). In fact, I believe one of her few postings on our board was in response to one of my posts (as I recall, she pretty much thoroughly took apart the logic of some of my political beliefs- amazingly, it was a fun experience!).

Since joining Essilor four years ago (well in two days it will be four years), my attendance has become spotty (travel and a family will do that to you), but this is still- in my opinion- one of the finest examples of what the internet can truly be- a community of people sharing their passions/occupation/and lives! (I love seeing posts like the current ones on our kids, our pets, who's hot on the silver screen, etc.- being away from home a lot, I don't know a lot of people "in person," but I feel I've gotten to know a lot of you on-line...)

Anyway, enough sap- I guess I'm just hoping there will be an OptiBoard years down the road when I get to post 8,000! Thanks for the memories, everyone- and thanks for OptiBoard, Steve!

PS- and for those of you who haven't had the good fortune to be around long enough to remember a gentleman named Darris, I'll sign off using his style...
    Pete "did you ever stop to think... and then forget to start again?!?" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

4000 posts. Way to go Pete.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In about 2 weeks, it will be 2 years. The Zeiss rep had me come here to read the discussion about a new Varilux lens - the Liberty.
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I found the board back in '99, when it was in the old format (vbulletin is 1000% better at least!). It didn't take long to realize that the folks on here were just as twisted as I was - and took their profession(s) seriously. I think OB had a lot to do with me taking the ABO - and passing it - during my busiest semester in college. I mean, you've got to be pretty messed up to do that. :D

It was also nice to know other LC "associates" from all over shared similar experiences to mine.
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear brighter before you hear them speak.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    96/97 for me. I'm mainly a lurker though.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optical Help Wanted was how I found us.......

I can't remember whether or not Pete was aboard, but I stood on the outside for a long time before coming in. The internet was quite new to me and I didn't really trust it all that much. I clearly remember starting to register a number of times and then saying to myself, "I'm not going to give that information out to people I don't even know. Like Ray, even after registering it was quita a long time before I got up the gumption to post anything.

Although I had been in email touch with Steve on several occasions, my first post was trying to sell a vertometer for a friend of mine. I posted on a Friday afternoon and had 7 replies by Mon AM. The thing was sold to the second respondent by Tues morning. I then became a believer and the ice was broken. Now you can't shut me up.

It was on Optical Help Wanted that I first saw digital photos published on a website. Steve had taken his family to the beach and posted the photos. I remember asking How the hell did he do that? It was all a big mystery then.

The friends I have made here have made this site the most rewarding for me. Hate to start naming them for fear of omissions but I would be remiss not to pick up on Darris, Maria, Shwing, My pard Jo, Judy,cousin Robert, Sean,Cindy, Judith,Warren, Roy, Night Train, and another Colts fan who started this thread. Mullo, John R , Diane, Chip and yes, even Rinsie. You see? I havent even scratched the surface and constraints of time limit me.

Needless to say I am indebted to Steve for putting it together in the first place. He made it possible for all of us to use this wonderfull tool called the internet, to grow by learning. I ramble on......Morpheus calls!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations Pete! I think this is the best web site of its kind on the internet. I am still a newbie here but I really enjoy reading your posts and I feel you have added a lot to the site.

Here to your next 4000! :cheers:

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I think I first found this site in 1999. . .

There used to be an Optical Help Wanted and that's how I found it. I was sitting in a job I didn't like and grasping at straws. There have been many changes in my life and in this forum.

Its still the first resource I consider when I need knowledge and/or a place to vent. Its become like my favorite pair of slippers in a very good way!! Thank you Steve & everyone else for allowing me to be here!!
    :cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I honestly can't remember..'98 I think. It's been a wonderful ride, bumpy at times, hazardous at others, but all in all a wonderful ride with an amazing group of friends.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am a youngster in comparison, but I can't tell you how much this board has contributed to my further learning of optics. Their was a time when the only way to gain knowledge that I knew of was to buy optical books. Needless to say on an optician salary I was destined to be a dimwit, then I found this board. Now I can't read fast enough.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ...just before 9/11.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I learned of Optiboard early on. I know it was before Pete started posting. Oh, So long ago!

Thread Information