Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got over charge and there's No Refund help please.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The only people who were present for your transaction were you, the shop employee (and/or owner) so we only know your version. I can only surmise what the owners side would sound like.

I am not sure how you are comparing the eyewear that you saw in May to the one you were purchasing last week. When you say Tag frames are you referring to Tag Heuer? The frames you saw in May could have looked like the ones you were buying last week but looking and being identical are two different things. If you thought the glasses were identical to the ones from one month ago why would you agree to buy the identical ones for 6 times the price. In my opinion it is unlikely these are the same glasses. Also I cannot recall seeing or hearing that 1.67 lenses being sold for the price you mentioned from May in NYC (assuming you are in NYC).

I don't want to sound unsympathetic to you, but I am. You are an adult and you made a purchasing decision. Now you are having buyers regret and casting the blame on others where the blame rests clearly on your shoulders. With pen firmly in hand you signed your name to a contract. End of story.

My suggestion: don't show up in court, write a letter to the store owner explaining your financial predictament. Ask if they can find you a pair of 199 complete and give you a store credit for the remainder. If the lenses had to be surfaced or were already cut for those frames, then you own those lenses. Maybe they can find an inexpensive frame to fit them into to or edge down further and give you a credit for the difference.

Doc
    Last edited by hcjilson; 07-04-2006 at 06:27 PM. Reason: deleted quote which violated posting guidelines

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I really hope this guy is in the minority. Shop owner should have handled it better perhaps, but we only get your side of the story.

Still, I hope you have at least the slightest bit of shame, and I take pitty on anyone else that has to sell you glasses in the future.

You are probably one of the only people I would recommend buying glasses over the internet.

Perhaps you should try to find a nonprofit optician or doctor's office to sell you glasses in the future. Most of us in the industry are independently wealthy and do this for the warm feelings it gives us, and the great patients we get to deal with (sarcasm)

I should stop before I get yelled at more than i already will.

OptiBoard Novice
    Tag Huer Frams 3001 Reflex cost 85net and is useually sold for 200-300. A 1.67 with AR coating cost around 60-80 dollars net(depend wich company they order from). All togather net cost around 180. Like I said before I dont mind paying for something cost 180 for 300 but at the price of 477(1.67 lens AR) and another 359 for Fram is a ripe off(total would come up to 836). You are a owner of a Eyeware store you know how much this items cost, so you know I am not lying about his cost. I called him on July 2nd again to try to work it out. After hourse going throw NY state law for Retail, I found out he violated two rules. One is not having his store policy stated in the store and non of the eyeware has price on it. Both of them will get him a heavy fine when the Consumer Affair visits him. Also file a complaine to the FTC. This wont get my money back but it's a lesson for me to shope before I buy.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, I think an online optical retailer would be a godsend for you.

OptiBoard Novice
    Okay here's a question to a store owner, do most of you charge your customers something that cost you 200 and sells it for 800? Unlikey you wealthy owners 800 dollars is about my hole week paid right there, so it's a lot the money for me. I just hope Civil Court would settle this. At least reduce the price of 836.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With cutomers like you who needs enemies. Also where do you live? If it's around me I would like a warning, we don't need customers like you. As someone has already said maybe you should do your buying over the internet, then try to get a warr. or adjustment or whatever. Just my 2 cents ;)
    Last edited by hcjilson; 07-04-2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: deleted quote which violated posting guidelines

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No court anywhere is going to tell a retailer what to charge for a product, most especially one that is custom made.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You have no real idea of what our products cost at wholesale. The possibilities are almost limitless and no reputable wholesale lab or manufacturer is going to release that information to the general public.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by summerof2008
    Okay here's a question to a store owner, do most of you charge your customers something that cost you 200 and sells it for 800? Unlikey you wealthy owners 800 dollars is about my hole week paid right there, so it's a lot the money for me. I just hope Civil Court would settle this. At least reduce the price of 836.

A 4x mark up is not unheard of. It depends upon what the rent is, electricity,
    help, insurance, lab bill ect. ect. Just because you don't see what your company
    charges for there services does not mean what he charged you is any different.
    Where do you work or for whom? Like I said before it's relative to your job like the GM worker making 27 per hour then complaining about the price of his glasses. He has no idea how much of a mark up there is on that car that supplements his salary. Just my 2 cents ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    If the shop owner did not have rent, need electricity, telephones, trained personnel, insurance (health, theft, accident, water/fire, etc), a doctor, etc then their would be no need to have markup. From my understanding courts do not get involved in buyers regret. If I were still in practice (and thankfully for both you and I that I was not the ECP or shop owner) I likely would not have tolerated well your assessment and how much I should be charging for my services.

If you spent some time on here reading the posts from the professionals to understand how much personal time and energy they spend to provide better health care and services to their patients and customers you would realize that the fees they get paid are well below what they deserve. The eyecare professionals are not selling you clothing nor are they selling you food. They are providing you a custom medical device that will have a dramatic impact on your daily life. There are few purchases you make that can do this and the price you pay for this benefit is small compared to its daily return.

Doc

OptiBoard Novice
    anyway I dont want to start a war with him, but after July2nd conversation I am convinced that we need to go to court. I am the driver for a wholesale company called 42nd st. I deliver clothing, watch, and jewlery. On clothings is regular 2x-1x mark up, on watch are 1x, on jewlery are 3x-5x. So ya I got ripe but I know how to complaine.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What I don't understand is why you bought the glasses in the first place.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    [QUOTE=summerof2008 I dont mind paying a 300 making 30-50% [/QUOTE]

You don't know how they are making.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    anyway I dont want to start a war with him, but after July2nd conversation I am convinced that we need to go to court. I am the driver for a wholesale company called 42nd st. I deliver clothing, watch, and jewlery. On clothings is regular 2x-1x mark up, on watch are 1x, on jewlery are 3x-5x. So ya I got ripe but I know how to complaine.

Again you missed the point. Reread post 35. Your either missing the point or don't want to see the point. :idea:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ladies and gentlemen, lest this thing get completely out of hand, I think it's time to let Summer and the attorneys sort this out. We can't change his (or her) mind with regard to imagined fraud.

We all have many more important things to argue among ourselves...;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    Ladies and gentlemen, lest this thing get completely out of hand, I think it's time to let Summer and the attorneys sort this out. We can't change his (or her) mind with regard to imagined fraud.

We all have many more important things to argue among ourselves...;)

Sounds good to me! :bbg:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's required that Items have prices posted on them?

Mine do but I sure didn't know it was required.

Most of mine are posted because I wear so many hats I can't remember them myself.

Is it required that you have your refund (or lack of same) policy posted?

Chip

Thread Information