I recently ordered a pair of glasses (-2.00) with polycarbonate lenses and sent them back because chromatic aberration was causing red and blue fringes on high-contrast edges and in general everything looked less than clear, even if I couldn't discern the colored fringes. Kind of like a bad color print or a misconverging color monitor. So I sent them back and they redid them in high-index plastic (1.67, I think), and I found the problem to be as bad or worse. The people I was dealing with didn't appear to understand my complaint (they suggested trying polycarbonate again) and said that it was not a common one among their patients.

Today I went to another optician and was told that if I could see chromatic aberration through high-index plastic, I was unusually sensitive. I find that hard to believe and asked whether it could be due to poor craftsmanship instead, and they said no. They also guessed that my current glasses (-1.00) are polycarbonate, and I have no problem with chromatic aberration. (Now that I am aware of it, I can see it very slightly at the very edges, but it's completely not a problem.)

So, I'm puzzled about why both pairs of new glasses were so bad for me and whether I can trust the same optician to make CR39 lenses for me, or should I go somewhere else?

Thanks in advance!

David