Thread: Rx ing Rayban Sunglasses

OptiBoard Novice

Rx ing Rayban Sunglasses

I bought a Ray Ban Rx Sunglasses from Sunglass hut, they told me that any optician would be able to add on prescription lenses to the existing Ray ban polarizing sunglass lens. My primary reason for buying this sunglasses was for this reason. I could not find some body to to do this job, So I called Sunglass hut customer relations help line at 877.486.6486. They recommended me goint to Lenscrafters. Lenscrafters after taking four weeks to reply let me know that they cannot do this job. I called back the Sunglass hut help line they told me they are helpless other than reffering me to Lenscrafters. I called up Ray Ban customers help line, they were unhelpful.

Can anybody help by letting me know where I can get this job done ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sunglass Hut IS Lenscrafters. Lenscrafters and Sunglass Hut ARE Ray-BAn. They are all owned by Luxottica, a frame maker. By the way, Pearle Vision is also Luxottica, Sunglass Hut, Lenscrafters. One company, one big mess for you. Damn shame really.....

Fezz
    :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    PS... I would look up Awtech. He is a member of Optiboard. He would be the one to talk to about this frame, lens combo.

Fezz
    :cheers:

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wrong place to buy

If you intended to rx the lenses you should have purchased them from a legit optical shop not an airport kiosk. The people working there know nothing about optics. They will tell you anything to make a sale. You really got what you ask for. Lesson learned. Sell them to a friend at a loss and visit an real optical shop.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Buyer beware. It looks like you took advice from someone who should not have given it. Unless you can get your money back I think you are SOL.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has any optician told you why they cannot put prescription lenses into this frame?

OptiBoard Novice
    I want to retain the original rayban polarizing lenses and attach my prescription lenses to them. Sunglass hut told me that thats how Rx sunglasses are supposed to be. The issue is that nobody wants to give a reason to this. I called Ray Ban, they told me that this is how this has to be done, but they do not want to recommend any body who does this.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I want to retain the original rayban polarizing lenses and attach my prescription lenses to them. Sunglass hut told me that thats how Rx sunglasses are supposed to be. The issue is that nobody wants to give a reason to this. I called Ray Ban, they told me that this is how this has to be done, but they do not want to recommend any body who does this.
    That is not how it is done, You can get a polarized lens and have the prescription ground into it and put it in most frames. It is true in a way that polarized lenses consist of a laminated prescription lens base to a polarized filter, however no one is going t try and laminate your rayban lenses to a prescription lens. Try an independant shop, forget about the chain stores they are not going to want to take the time and effort to make a pair of polarized suns if the job is too complicated.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by dsanthri
    I bought a Ray Ban Rx Sunglasses from Sunglass hut, they told me that any optician would be able to add on prescription lenses to the existing Ray ban polarizing sunglass lens. My primary reason for buying this sunglasses was for this reason. I could not find some body to to do this job, So I called Sunglass hut customer relations help line at 877.486.6486. They recommended me goint to Lenscrafters. Lenscrafters after taking four weeks to reply let me know that they cannot do this job. I called back the Sunglass hut help line they told me they are helpless other than reffering me to Lenscrafters. I called up Ray Ban customers help line, they were unhelpful.

Can anybody help by letting me know where I can get this job done ?
    If they are the Ray Ban Goggle shape, there has been a problem for some time. They even came out with a Ray Ban Goggle RX. This did not help much. Maybe a little. Ray Ban has a good name. That is why Lux is using the name on a lot of their new stuff. This new stuff seems to be pretty good for Rxs. I strongle suggest NOT Rxing the Ray Ban Goggle. l

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dsanthri
    What's the model #?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Ray Ban

dsanthri,

My quess is that you have a Ray Ban frame that is for Non-Rx sunwear. Some of the Ray Ban line carries styles like shields or drill mounted lenses which can be done in some prescriptions. This is generally left up to an opticians discretion.
    Second your Rx could be the limiting factor as well.
    I agree with the others who posted that going to a scripted selling salesperson was your first mistake.
    Model number and Rx information would be helpful.

Thread Information