Thread: What states require you to be licensed?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

What states require you to be licensed?

This is my first post. I live in Alabama and you are not required to be licensed or abo certified here.
    I just got my abo test results today and I passed. Which states require what?
    Alabama doesnt require anything.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Congratulations!!!

On passing your ABO. You should be able to go to the ABO website and get a list of the states that require licensing or maybe the OAA. Congratulations again! You should be proud!!
    :cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats. Now don't get lazy. Study up over the next three years and prepare for the Advanced Certification/Masters.

Fezz
    :cheers:

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I believe your neighbor to the east- Georgia- is a licensed state. Your neighbor to the South- Flordia- has one of the stronger/more stringent licensures in the country. A word of advice if you consider a move to Florida- practice opticianry in Alabama for at least 5 years first. Then, when you move to Florida, you will be able to forego the apprenticeship requirements by simply providing a notarized statement from your former employer (or someone who can vouch for your experience) that you have 5 years of experience.

Better yet, find an opticianry program at a community college and get an AS degree in ophthalmic optics, which will also qualify you to sit for the Florida boards. A Licensed Dispensing Optician (LDO) in Florida can do very well working at WalMart in the right area (of course, this will invite a parade of emails about the relative merits of WalMart, but the fact remains you can make a decent salary there- because they are required to have a LDO on premises anytime they are open).

Congrats, and good luck in the future-
    Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steph, congrats!:cheers: Pete is right get your degree! you can be making in two years what would take you 6-8 years otherwise. Dont quote me but I think the number is 26 states have/require a license. Ga, Fl, Ar, TN, Ky, Nc, Sc, Va, Oh, just to name a few. With a degree from a good school, you can obtain a license in most states. check out www.nfos.org for a list of schools that offer an on-line degree program. Good luck and welcome to opti-board!
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    CONGRATS, Steph! :bbg:

Also, having been a resident of AL, GA and FL myself, well-stated, Pete!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks everyone.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations on passing the ABO Steph(Love your name btw LOL)!!! I think everyone named Steph can pass the ABO!! :bbg: I am going to move to FL with you and help you start a dispensary!!! LOL!!

Steph

OptiBoard Novice
    "Steph's Specs" sounds like a winner give me a call and I'll do the lab.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations!

Virginia has an apprencticeship program tied in with the ABO and NCLE.
    3 years for the ABO part (1 night/week with sponsorship). I was able to comp 1 year with my boss vouching for my experience and by passing the first year final. I had already taken the ABO for personal reasons, and luckily, as long as it hadn't been more than 3 years since the exam, I did'nt have to take the written exam for VA (which was the ABO). Rather messed up, if you ask me, that only in this wonderful commonwealth, that one must pass official apprenticeship prgrams in order to sit for a national exam. I went to North Carolina for the ABO, and then to Maryland for the NCLE (also offered in VA in conjunction with and apprenticeship program).
    Virginia requires a lab practical in order to recognize the NCLE part.
    If anyone can offer info about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Almost forgot.....

When I worked at Lenscrafters in CA (1986 to 1989), the ABO was the only requirement. LDO required during all operating hours, overtime after 8 hours each day
    In Texas, at Eyemasters (1991 to 1993), the ABO was good enough. I can't remember any more particulars.:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Nancy
    Congratulations!

Virginia has an apprencticeship program tied in with the ABO and NCLE.
    3 years for the ABO part (1 night/week with sponsorship). I was able to comp 1 year with my boss vouching for my experience and by passing the first year final. I had already taken the ABO for personal reasons, and luckily, as long as it hadn't been more than 3 years since the exam, I did'nt have to take the written exam for VA (which was the ABO). Rather messed up, if you ask me, that only in this wonderful commonwealth, that one must pass official apprenticeship prgrams in order to sit for a national exam. I went to North Carolina for the ABO, and then to Maryland for the NCLE (also offered in VA in conjunction with and apprenticeship program).
    Virginia requires a lab practical in order to recognize the NCLE part.
    If anyone can offer info about this, I'd greatly appreciate it.:cheers:
    This is simply not accurate. You can visit the OAV website at www.vaopticians.org for a link to the Opticianry regulations in Virginia. The ABO does not require apprenticeship, neither does the NCLE.

Thread Information