Thread: Tennessee

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

I received an e-mail this morning advising that Tennessee has retained its Optician Licensure requirement for 2 years. It wasn't the 6 that they wanted, but 2 will work! Way to fight, Tennessee Opticians! I'm proud of your spirit and commitment!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Judy, Did they only renew licensing for 2 years? I'd love to find out the reasoning behind that!Usually if licensing is retained, its on the books already for an indeterminate time.Where can I find this information?? Thanks.

------------------
    Harry J
    PS when in doubt try finding the answer yourself! If you have the same question I did, the answer may be found at the following URL http://www.tdoa.org/Legislative/Legi...e%20Report.htm

[This message has been edited by hcjilson (edited 04-18-2001).]

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy, you answered the question I was about to ask!! HIP HIP HOORAY!! Why does this keep happening to us? I have never exactly got a clear picture on this from anyone. I have heard it is from OD's and retail that is trying to get rid of TN's licenses so that we can be paid a lot lower wages. What is the deal? I so hate wondering about my career all the time.
    Thanks!
    Steph

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stephanie, isn't it ture that Nation wide opticals, of which Cole National is the largest, have offices in licensed states?
    I think they see licensure not only as restrictive but unfair because is is not the same in every state. If they have a great optician in Wyoming they can't just move them to Tennessee.

Colorado is a non-licensed state but the average wage for certified opticians is higher than the national average.

I happen to think that It is not so much the desire to pay lower wages or do crappy work. It is more about running an efficient nation wide chain of opticals. The nationals have found an alliance in the optometric lobby who would like to make organized opticianry go away - the latter one is about market share.

As far as your career goes, the world will always need good opticians - we're not going away. However, since the primary goal of people today is to have a good job rather than creating a good business, we have by this willingly submitted to the "slave" mentality. The chances of a slave uprising is worse than you winning the lottery. Until we have poeple who are willing to march into hell for a heavenly cause, we will just talk and complain alot about the slave owners. We'll talk on the internet or in the bar but will not do anything to jeprodise our job, that is until we have another one in hand.

If good opticians would open small one-person facilities all over the nation, they would be able to out-do big business ---- but then that is not a job with guarantees and benefits.

Thread Information