Thread: Contact Lens Fitter Insurance

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Contact Lens Fitter Insurance

Hey Hey,

Need some help from the wonderful Canadians on this board and of course non Canadians who know :D

I am new to Canada (coming from the U.S.) and don't know about the Canadian procedures when it comes to Contact Lens Fitter Insurance.

I am filling out the registration form from the COBC and I need to purchase professional liability insurance with "at least" $1 million per occurrence. My question for you folks is, any reccomendations on who, what & where is the best place to purchase this insurance? Is there more then one place that offers it?

Its a bit late to phone COBC so I thought I would ask the board first and get some suggestions on it...

Thanks for your time, appreciate it!

michelle

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If I am not mistaken the OAC can provide errors and omissions insurance for their members. Try this link.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cool, thanks. It that the only organization that offers the insurance?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The D.O.A.B.C. also offers it at a reduced rate to members......some employers like mine pay for it also.....I have $5 million coverage and thankfully haven't had to exercise it...hehehe

Follow this link http://www.doabc.org/

Are you looking for work at this time?? or still working on your vergences.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mullo
    The D.O.A.B.C. also offers it at a reduced rate to members......some employers like mine pay for it also.....I have $5 million coverage and thankfully haven't had to exercise it...hehehe

Follow this link http://www.doabc.org/

Are you looking for work at this time?? or still working on your vergences.
    I faxed them (doabc) my application and phoned them a few times. No return phone call and no one answers the phone. Strange.... I would like to go with them since they are local to my area but if no one is going to call me back or answer the phone, then it will force me to go with the OAC. Anyone on Optiboard work there (doabc)???????

lol, I am not working at this time since I am focusing on studying. vergences are starting to become a friend of mine... lol, thanks for asking:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Contact Lens Fitter".....

....very professional title, eh! I think in Canada they use CL Practitioner. How do ever demean ourselves into such trivial sounding titles.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    McDonald:

I suspect that contact lens practioner refers to the doctor that sells contacts. Contact lens fitter has been long the term in the states since the early days of sclera lenses and on to later types. Usually referred to an optician who actually hand fabricated lenses to individual fits on specific eyes.
    Still the highest form of life at the Contact Lens Society of America.

Chip:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Still.....

....it is a poor professional title, Anderson! Practitioner is someone who practices a profession. I do, and assume you do as well. I am not a technician (the term implies someone who merely carries out a technical function with little critical thinking or problem-solving functions), nor am I a fitter. Not being smug here; just making a point I have made hundreds of times before. The term is not a good one and should be changes to something more professional in the US.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In B.C. the title is actually Contact Lens Fitter.

Glad the vergences are being your friend Snitgirl!!! Let me know when you are looking for work and I'll give you a hand......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald
    ....it is a poor professional title, Anderson! Practitioner is someone who practices a profession. I do, and assume you do as well. I am not a technician (the term implies someone who merely carries out a technical function with little critical thinking or problem-solving functions), nor am I a fitter. Not being smug here; just making a point I have made hundreds of times before. The term is not a good one and should be changes to something more professional in the US.
    From my understanding......In B.C. Canada, here are the following titles you can resigter once you qualify of course..
    • Student Contact Lens Fitter

• Dispensing Optician

• Contact Lens Fitter

• Non-practicing Dispensing Optician

• Non-practicing Contact Lens Fitter

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I am pretty disappointed that my calls & e mail wasn't returned or the fact they do not answer phones at the DOABC organization. Everytime I phoned, the voice mail came on. I switched to the OAC instead. Darn, I wanted to support the "local" association.... Oh well....:(

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The title "contact lens fitter" is indeed the title, registered with the Health Professions Act. The College, on my motion, recently approved a change to "contact lens practitioner" and also to adopt the letter designations "RO" for registered optician, and "CLP" for Contact Lens Practitioner. Don't change your cards yet, we have to finalise this. The initiative is part of the labour mobility initiative, and has us using the same letter designation as Alberta, and a similar one to Ontario. I hope, eventually to have all Canada using a standard, recognizable letter designation.

David C. Nelson, RO,CLP, (WMWLM)*

*When my Wife Lets Me

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    The title "contact lens fitter" is indeed the title, registered with the Health Professions Act. The College, on my motion, recently approved a change to "contact lens practitioner" and also to adopt the letter designations "RO" for registered optician, and "CLP" for Contact Lens Practitioner. Don't change your cards yet, we have to finalise this. The initiative is part of the labour mobility initiative, and has us using the same letter designation as Alberta, and a similar one to Ontario. I hope, eventually to have all Canada using a standard, recognizable letter designation.

David C. Nelson, RO,CLP, (WMWLM)*

*When my Wife Lets Me

Hi Sir Dave, was this finalized?

Thread Information