Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: wide reading area progressives?

Banned

Question wide reading area progressives?

I just got my first pair of progressives today, and I'm very unhappy with them. I didn't know until I called back the optician that there were different types of progressives - she made decisions for me without asking me any questions or giving me any information. I need a better understanding of what's available, and I was wondering if I could get some advice here on what type of progressive would suit me better than what I have. I'm also looking for a new optician - I'm in New York City.

Some info...

For many years I've worn a straight-across bifocal that comes pretty high up on the lens. I read a lot, and also work at the computer a lot. I need to look through the bifocal to see the computer, so a high and wide bifocal area is important.

Recently I've started to have trouble with my middle vision. For example, if I'm talking to someone at a party, their face is blurry. That's why I thought progressives would be good.

My add for the bifocal is now +2.25. I'm myopic otherwise, so I can see close without my glasses. My myopia correction is -3.25 in my right eye and -2.25 in my left, with slight astigmatism in my left.

The progressives I have are Varilux Comfort. They are terrible for computer use. I have to tip my head back to see the computer at all, which gives me a crick in my neck, and I have virtually no near peripheral vision. If I'm reading something in the center of my vision and look to the side moving only my eyes, it's a blur. This is unacceptable for me.

I called the optician, and she said she'd fit me for Hoya ECP lenses, but again she made this decision for me without giving me any information about my options. I want to make an informed choice.

I need a higher and wider near-vision area (but not occupational progressive lenses that I can't use for driving). What are the PALs that give the widest near vision area?

Also, the optician gave me polycarbonite lenses, which I've been reading are not very good for optics. What should I get instead?

Lastly, I am looking for a new optician. Are any of you in New York City?
    Last edited by Sheryl; 06-21-2006 at 04:42 PM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Varilux Comfort is one of the most widely used progressives and is considered by many to be very good. There are also many other progressives that are very good. The peripheral area in the lower part of any progressive will not be clear though some are better then others.

For your prescription polycarb is also widely used. I have an prescription similar to yours and I often wear poly. There are a few people that don't see well out of poly but most people see fine out of it.

The middle of your lens is the intermediate area. If you are raising your head to see the computer then it sounds like your computer screen is straight ahead. Is this correct? If so no standard progressive is going to work without you raising your head. You need to have your computer screen so that you look down at it slightly.

Have you considered a standard trifocal? It would give you wider areas and a clearer peripheral area. You might also give your lenses a couple of weeks and try lowering your computer screen. It often takes a couple of weeks to get used to progressives especially if you are coming from a flat top bifocal.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Trifocals!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Trifocals

Banned
    Thanks for your input!

My computer is already significantly below eye level. It's a notebook. It was below eye level to begin with, and I raised my chair so it's even more below eye level, but the narrow field of vision still really bugs me. My clear area of near vision at reading distance is only about 4-5 inches.

I've read that some types of progressives - Hoya Summit ECP being one - give wider fields of vision for intermediate and near. Is Hoya ECP the best choice, or are there others that give an especially wide area to look through?

Call me vain, but trifocals are too much for me. Those make you look REALLY old.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it is a notebook, why do you need to raise your head to see it? Have you tried removing your glasses and having your computer a little closer to you? You have perfect close vision.

Four or five inches wide reading area in progressives? That sounds about right. Do you know what the fitting height of your lenses are, are they very narrow? That will make your reading area smaller.

You might look at the thread titled "Outlook lenses are they any good?" There is a link that compares different progressives. You might notice that the ones that do the best at near often do worse at distance and visa versa. You will notice the lenses rated without weighing in on astigmatism and and also with it.
    Too much astigmatism makes the lenses swimmy so I always look at the lenses weighing in with astigmatism.
    Last edited by Happylady; 06-21-2006 at 09:08 PM.

Banned
    I'm not sure what "fitting height" means, but the optician said something about 21mm, and the minimum was 18 so I had more space. Not sure if that makes any sense. What's fitting height? (My glasses aren't especially small in the vertical dimension.)

Yes, I can see my computer when I take my glasses off, but then if I want to look up to see the TV it's blurry. Also, I get headaches when I read without glasses. I was given very low power bifocals at 20 years old to solve this problem.

Back to my original question... Of the different progressives out there, which would give me the widest viewing area for intermediate and near vision?

Thanks for your help.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fitting height is the height the "fitting cross" is from the bottom of the frame. It is usually the distance in millimeters from your pupil to the bottom of the frame. Twenty one is pretty good.

Look at the link. The ones listed with the best near and intermediate is the Sola Max, but it is one of the worst at distance.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    good job again not actually helping the consumer, but giving the consumer a million different options.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Look at the link. The ones listed with the best near and intermediate is the Sola Max, but it is one of the worst at distance.
    Link? What link??

Is Sola Max an occupational progressive? How does it compare with Hoya ECP?

Thanks for the help!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    good job again not actually helping the consumer, but giving the consumer a million different options.
    It is confusing, isn't it? She wanted options, I told her where to find them.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    It is confusing, isn't it? She wanted options, I told her where to find them.
    I know, but still. We know the best option for this person cannot be satisfied from internet advice.

Banned
    Oh, I see - link in the other thread you mentioned. I'll go look, thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life
    I know, but still. We know the best option for this person cannot be satisfied from internet advice.
    Since I can't learn everything I need to know from the internet, does that mean I should not be given any information on the internet? That's not logical.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl
    Link? What link??

Is Sola Max an occupational progressive? How does it compare with Hoya ECP?

Thanks for the help!
    Go to the thread titled "Outlook- good design?" There is a link there to a study that compares many different progressives. I don't know much about that particular Hoya lens, so I can't help you there.

Sola Max is not an occupational lens. It has one of the best near and intermediate areas but one of the worst distance areas, I don't really recommend it because of this.

Banned
    I looked at the link, and it doesn't give me the kind of information I need. What I'd really like is a diagram of each lens - distance, intermediate, far. I've seen these for a couple lenses, but most sites don't have them.

Occupation
    Since I can't learn everything I need to know from the internet, does that mean I should not be given any information on the internet? That's not logical.
    It is not you. The thing is the problem may not be the lens. It can be the brand, the lens type, the material, the fit, the measurements, the base curve, the prescription, ect, ect, ect.

The only way we can figure this out is to see you and the glasses in person.

So when things like this pop up many of the opticians here, each with a lot of training, and stubborn mind try to force their ideas on people so that we can win our debates against each other.

Now, not everyone in this thread has done that, so sorry if I offend some people. But if you took the advice of OB members you would have a progressive, flat top, trifocal that is combined in 5 pairs made out of glass, plastic, and stainless steel. Oh yes, do not forget about the frame that is the size of a Hummer vehicle.

Banned
    Correction - actually it does give very good information. I see now that it shows the individual ratings as well as the combined. Thanks very much for this link.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life is right, it is very hard to figure out how to solve your problems over the internet. You just got these TODAY. If you don't want trifocals then you need to give them some time. You can go back to your optician and have her make sure they are fit correctly and that you understand how to use them.

Then you need to wear them all the time for at least two weeks. Progressives are not bifocals, they are very different. In some ways they are better and in some ways they are worse. It is very normal and common to take up to a month to get comfortable with progressives especially since you have a +2.25 add. The stronger the add the narrower the areas and the more blur on the outside parts of the lenses.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Correction - actually it does give very good information. I see now that it shows the individual ratings as well as the combined. Thanks very much for this link.
    This study is a few years old and there is a newer one, but I don't know the link to it. There are some newer lenses that are good that aren't on the older study.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alternative: Bifocal with a PC Peeker (slip-in intermediate) insert. Works like a charm and brings that computer right in to focus with no sacrifice in width.

Will work with your old bifocals, new bifocals and cost a whole $25.00 retail.

Chip

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Alternative: Bifocal with a PC Peeker (slip-in intermediate) insert. Works like a charm and brings that computer right in to focus with no sacrifice in width.

Will work with your old bifocals, new bifocals and cost a whole $25.00 retail.

Chip
    These do work well, but they do make the distance blurry. They will adjust the distance area for up close. I have sold a few and people like them.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, I found the link to the newer study! Go to the link and at the top of the page is the word publications. Go there and then go to the progressive addition measurement and rating study dated 2006.

Banned
    What do you think of the Hoya Summit ECP? That was the alternative my optician recommended, and I also saw a newsgroup dialog among some computer types (like me) with the same problem I have, and a couple of them said it solved the problem.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you think of the Hoya Summit ECP? That was the alternative my optician recommended, and I also saw a newsgroup dialog among some computer types (like me) with the same problem I have, and a couple of them said it solved the problem.
    I don't know much about this lens. I think you will find any progressive will take some adjustment.

Thread Information