Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: wide reading area progressives?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl
    I've been wearing my new Solo One HD lenses for about 4 hours. These progressive lenses are so much better than the Varilux Comfort there is no comparison. I don't get motion sickness when I move my head, I can work easily at the computer, and I've already adapted - don't even know I have them on. I said I'd come back and report, so here I am. I'm a happy camper! :)
    Thanks for letting us know.

Banned
    Thanks to you, happylady, for all the information and advice you gave me. It was a big help. In the end, I took your recommendation and I'm very glad I did.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Thumbs up

Congratulations....glad all worked out well.

Banned
    labbrat - next time I need glasses, I'll go to an optician that will use your lab. I'm sorry I couldn't get this one to.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Congratulations.............................

Congratulations.............................another case solved.

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chris Ryser A.k.a. Mr. Negative

Switching from lined bifocals to PALs isn't always about GREED.....Sometimes it's about VANITY. My mom switched from a lined bifocal to progressives in her late 60's and it was a SolaMax without a problem AND she has very little distance correction. ( I find those with very little distant correction have a harder time getting used to progressives They're not motivated to keep them on long enough to get used to them.) My point is there are ALWAYS exceptions.:)
    sharon

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Sometimes it's not even vanity...

Quote Originally Posted by sharon m./ aboc
    Switching from lined bifocals to PALs isn't always about GREED.....Sometimes it's about VANITY.
    Just to add...I tried lined bifocals and couldn't stand or get used to the image jump. I wouldn't have cared how they looked, if I had been happy with my vision I would have stuck with them. I find that getting rid of the "jump" more than compensates for the disadvantages of progressives.

Banned
    I've been wearing lined bifocals since my early 20's (due to headaches while reading) so I'm very used to them. The vanity issue for me isn't so much in people knowing that I have age-related vision problems, but how my eyes look behind the glasses. I could never looked dressed up with lined bifocals - even with eye makeup - so I'd wear contacts. These lenses are extremely thin so there is no distortion of my eyes at all, plus there is no interruption of the view of my eyes because there's no line (or worse, two lines). I can wear these glasses with eye make-up and look dressed up instead of looking like I just came out of the library.

I'm noticing something sort of amusing... These glasses are forcing me into better posture. I have a tendency to slump my shoulders forward, then tip back my chin to compensate. If my chin were aligned with my spine, I'd be looking at the ground. I think this bad posture habit originated in adolescence when I was self-conscious about growing breasts. When I stand this way with the progressive lenses, I'm looking through the wrong part of the lens. I have to put my shoulders back and chin down to look through them properly (which is exactly what my ballet teacher was always screaming at me to do).

So you see, these lenses are contributing to enhanced beauty in a number of different ways. :D
    Last edited by Sheryl; 07-13-2006 at 02:32 PM.

OptiBoard Professional sharon m./ aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

lines or no lines? that is the question

I find that getting rid of the "jump" more than compensates for the disadvantages of progressives.[/QUOTE]

Like I said there are always exceptions...

And, Sheryl I am very happy you found what works for you.
    sharon

Banned

transitions?

How long does it take for transitions lenses to start working properly? My optician said I had to wear them in the sun a while before they got fully dark, but how long is "a while"? I'm getting blinded in the meantime.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How long does it take for transitions lenses to start working properly? My optician said I had to wear them in the sun a while before they got fully dark, but how long is "a while"? I'm getting blinded in the meantime.
    The should be working right from the start. If it is hot they won't get as dark. They darken more in cold weather. Also they don't change in a car. If your frame is fairly small then you might be getting a lot of light leaking in around the sides, too.

Banned
    Several opticians at the store where I got my glasses told me that Transitions lenses get darker over time. What you're saying contradicts this. I don't know which is right. So far they haven't been getting darker, but maybe it's not enough time.

No one ever told me about the heat factor. It's so extremely hot in New York in the summer, no wonder I'm always squinting.

Also, no one ever told me they don't get dark in a car, and this really upsets me because I drive. What am I supposed to do when I'm driving??

I'm happy with the progressives, but the Transitions feature is not functioning nearly as well as I'd hoped.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Several opticians at the store where I got my glasses told me that Transitions lenses get darker over time. What you're saying contradicts this. I don't know which is right. So far they haven't been getting darker, but maybe it's not enough time.

No one ever told me about the heat factor. It's so extremely hot in New York in the summer, no wonder I'm always squinting.

Also, no one ever told me they don't get dark in a car, and this really upsets me because I drive. What am I supposed to do when I'm driving??

I'm happy with the progressives, but the Transitions feature is not functioning nearly as well as I'd hoped.
    I have never heard that Transitions got darker over time. Glass Photogrey Extra does. In fact Transition lenses darken less after a year or two. Most people don't notice it and the AR helps with this. However, a three year old pair of Transition lenses will not darken nearly as well as a new pair.

I always always tell patients they don't darken in a car. Perhaps they forgot, or thought they had told you. For driving you need some sunglasses or a clip.

And yes, any changable lens gets darker in colder weather. Cold sunny winter days are the best!

Transisiton lenses are great but are not perfect substitutes for sunglasses.

Bad address email on file lilchiken's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Big Smile

"This lens is clearly advertised on their Web site, and you (a lab in New England - USA) say you've been selling it since 1999. I can understand a specific lab not knowing about the lens, but how can the US division of Seiko not know about it if it's sold in this country?"

:drop: :D ILMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is the FUNNIEST thing I've ever read!!
    I about peed my pants laughing-what retards are working @ Seiko???:bbg:

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sheryl:

You really thinks "it's so extreemly hot in NY in Summer?"
    Babe come down to Jackson, MS or Houston, Tx for a week in July. Den go back to NY and enjoy the moderate temperature. The moderate humidity for that matter.
    You Yankees seem to start dying of heat stroke when we stop wearing jackets to keep warm.

Seriously, All photochromic lenses may work better after a break-in period of a day or two but over the long run, the glass ones will turn darker and have a lesser tendancy to lighten up. The plastic ones will work best when new and go downhill from there.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Have you tried putting the glasses in the fridge for a few minutes? Rumor has it that the change in temp can sometimes "jump start" the photochromics. This will not change the driving issue. Sunclips or sunglasses are your best bet....I recommend polarized (of course).
    If you do get a clip....be very careful. If they are not fit properly to your frame, there is a very good chance your lenses will get scratched..and there is no warranty coverage for that!

Banned
    HappyLady wrote:
    > I have never heard that Transitions got darker over time. Glass Photogrey Extra does. In fact Transition lenses darken less after a year or two. Most people don't notice it and the AR helps with this. However, a three year old pair of Transition lenses will not darken nearly as well as a new pair.

Sounds like they got confused. What is "AR"?

HappyLady wrote:
    > I always always tell patients they don't darken in a car. Perhaps they forgot, or thought they had told you. For driving you need some sunglasses or a clip.

Apparently I managed to get the one incompetent optician in the store when I came in. She was just awful - she didn't tell me anything. But the other opticians in the store are very good, and the manager has been really great about trying to make it up to me for all the other optician's incompetence. They are remaking my glasses (yet again!), this time with no transitions, and I bought a second pair of glasses - real sunglasses. The manager took $100 off the sunglasses because that's what I paid for the transitions.

Chip Anderson wrote:
    > You really thinks "it's so extreemly hot in NY in Summer?"
    Babe come down to Jackson, MS or Houston, Tx for a week in July. Den go back to NY and enjoy the moderate temperature. The moderate humidity for that matter.
    You Yankees seem to start dying of heat stroke when we stop wearing jackets to keep warm.

Dude, you've clearly never been to New York City in summer. The buildings hold in the heat beyond anything natural. It doesn't even cool off at night. You've never heard the song "Summer in the City"? That wasn't about Mississippi!

Chip Anderson wrote:
    > All photochromic lenses may work better after a break-in period of a day or two but over the long run, the glass ones will turn darker and have a lesser tendancy to lighten up. The plastic ones will work best when new and go downhill from there.

These glasses are neither glass nor plastic. They are some exotic high tech material - forget what. Maybe that's considered plastic? In any case, I hate that they don't completely lighten up because I have circles around my eyes to begin with and so they make me look bad. I also hate the few minutes of pain it takes for them to darken on days (like today) that are not sweltering and they actually do darken. All in all, I like the idea of lenses that lighten and darken, but not the implementation. I'm going back to two pairs of glasses - clear and tinted.

labbrat wrote:
    > Have you tried putting the glasses in the fridge for a few minutes? Rumor has it that the change in temp can sometimes "jump start" the photochromics.

That's an interesting idea. I'll try that. I'm returning them in any case, but it will be interesting to know.

labbrat wrote:
    > This will not change the driving issue. Sunclips or sunglasses are your best bet....I recommend polarized (of course).
    If you do get a clip....be very careful. If they are not fit properly to your frame, there is a very good chance your lenses will get scratched..and there is no warranty coverage for that!

I went with separate sunglasses. And because I wanted polarized sunglasses, I got regular bifocal lenses instead of progressives. My optician (dealing with the manager now, not the incompetent twerp who I got stuck with at first) told me that the material used to make the Solo One HD cannot be used with polarized lenses, plus something about how it can't be made as dark as other types of materials. I need real sunglasses - I'm not fooling around!

I like the progressives for clear glasses because my eyes can be seen through them better, and the middle vision area is good for when I'm working, but I don't need them for sunglasses.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AR= anti reflective, it's what we in the business call it most of the time.

You have high index plastic lenses.

Lots of people have Transition lenses in their regular glasses and also have sunglasses. However, if you don't like the very light tint that remains when you are inside then you might perfer clear lenses.

You can get polarized progressives but they do cost more then bifocals. Many people can switch back and forth between bifocals and progressives but some people find it difficult. Since you have worn bifocals before hopefully you won't have a problem.
    Last edited by Happylady; 07-23-2006 at 06:24 PM.

Banned
    I figured out "AR" right after I clicked "Submit". :idea:

HappyLady wrote:
    > You can get polarized progressives but they do cost more then bifocals.

My optician said that polarized lenses were not available in the material used to make the Solo One HD (can't remember the name of it). She also said the lenses couldn't be as dark as with regular sunglasses. That's why I went with bifocals. What she told me isn't true? If she misinformed me, that would be annoying!

HappyLady wrote:
    > Many people can switch back and forth between bifocals and progressives but some people find it difficult. Since you have worn bifocals before hopefully you won't have a problem.

I sometimes wear contacts with reading glasses, which is pretty much the same as bifocals, and have no problem. The Solo One HD has such low distortion that it's not hard to switch between them.

In a week or so, I have an appointment to be fitted with bifocal contact lenses. My brother has those, and really likes them. My need for bifocals has become so great in the last year or two that regular contacts are impractical. I can't see anything within 3 feet.

Have you figured out yet that I'm a technophile? :bbg:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your glasses are 1.67 high index plastic, I believe.

You can get polarized progressives in mid index and polycarb, both of which are thinner and lighter then standard plastic. Mid index doesn't work well in rimless glasses as it is more brittle.

Do you know what material your bifocal sunglasses are? I doubt they are 1.67. I don't think bifocal polarized lenses come in 1.67 but I could be mistaken.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady
    Your glasses are 1.67 high index plastic, I believe.

You can get polarized progressives in mid index and polycarb, both of which are thinner and lighter then standard plastic. Mid index doesn't work well in rimless glasses as it is more brittle.
    So my optician was right? Polarized lenses aren't available for high index plastic?

Do you know what material your bifocal sunglasses are? I doubt they are 1.67. I don't think bifocal polarized lenses come in 1.67 but I could be mistaken.
    I forgot to ask the material being used for the bifocal sunglasses. I hope I'm not unpleasantly surprised. Maybe I'll call and ask tomorrow.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did you get an AR coat on your sunglasses?

Banned
    Did you get an AR coat on your sunglasses?
    I usually ask for this, but I don't know if it will have it. I have to call tomorrow. I'm not clear enough on what I ordered!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I usually ask for this, but I don't know if it will have it. I have to call tomorrow. I'm not clear enough on what I ordered!
    Should be able to tell if you take your glasses off and look at them from an angle. Most AR appears to have a greenish hue. You can also tell if the surface of the lens is slick like a waxed car. (hydrophobic coating goes hand in hand with AR as well)

That and your eyes should be more visible if they have AR.

Banned
    1. They're sunglasses.
    2. I don't have them yet.

Thread Information