Thread: This is new on the OAA website

OptiBoard Novice

This is new on the OAA website but what the heck is LR 1844 anyways? ps the new website is nice is you guys have not checked it out.

Issues and Legislation

The Legislative Request list finally came out today. Our bill is on there, it has now been assigned LR (legislative request) #1844. Our bill will now be referred to as LR #1844 until it is printed and assigned an LD (legislative document) #. So if you need to call the State House, talk to Senators or Representative about it, that is the number they need to know to get it for themselves.

The next step is for LR 1844 to be printed, become an LD, then
    go through both the House and Senate to be formally referred to the Business & Economic Development Committee. And then of course it will be scheduled for a public hearing.

We learned recently that the Optometrists may not support our bill. Most of the ODs that we speak to individually support educational requirements and understand that there is NOT any hidden agenda to take contact lenses away from their scope of practice or to be able to refract independently. LR#1844 clearly states that. I believe that their national (OAO) opposes any licensing bills for Opticians, regardless of their content.

We are in contact with the COA and the ABO, through the OAA and the NFOS may be able to send someone for the hearing. This is the time to prepare for this. We are looking forward to this hearing and giving testimony is our time to explain to our legislators what Opticians do and why they should support licensing and educational requirements in Maine. The OAM encourages all to participate in the hearing. As soon as we receive the date, we will let you know.

Any questions, just let us know. Call 207-641-2179 or e-mail jok@int-usa.net or snail mail P.O. Box 713, Kennebunk, Maine 04043 or contact the OAM directly at travisleah@powelink.net.
    Jackie O'Keefe
    Government Affairs Chairman

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OpticalAnne.............Jackie O here. The website page you are referring to is the
    state of Maine's licensing legislative update. I tried to e-mail you, again by replying to your second e-mail.

Your question was, how will this effect you? Well, seeing that you live in New York State, it will most likely not. Unless you are planning to move to the great state of Maine. LR#1844 is a licensing bill, currently awaiting public hearing. We just posted information on our state. Others will follow. Joyce Otta, OAA, is working on this effort. Does this answer your question?

My sister lives in Oneida and is licensed in your state. Beautiful fall foliage. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OpticalAnne...........I just receive your e-mail and I am not sure why we are not able to communicate through my Outlook Express program. I have been receiving e-mail all night and do not know why yours and mine do not go through. Please snail mail or phone 207-985-7353 weekdays (except Wednesdays) and we can chat.

Jackie O

------------------

Still a Maina for now

Thread Information