Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattern Maker....

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Pattern Maker....

Hi, Whats the best/easy/pattern Marker out there.

I have the horizon 2 where you put the demo lens where the pattern goes
    and pattern were the lens would go.

But, i'm looking for one that nicely traces the frame no tighting screws to hold the frame,don't have to center it all perfect.does anyone know where i can find one...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by markssunwear

But, i'm looking for one that nicely traces the frame no tighting screws to hold the frame,don't have to center it all perfect.does anyone know where i can find one...
    Dude! You are living in the past. If you are going to trace a frame, send it directly to the edger!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Man are you guys gonna laugh...The best pattern maker I've ever used is a 15 buck pair of tin snips and a fine point ink marker. I ve got an old Novamatic, but it can't do small frames nor rimless. Plus, I'm faster than the machine! :D :D

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7
    Man are you guys gonna laugh...The best pattern maker I've ever used is a 15 buck pair of tin snips and a fine point ink marker. I ve got an old Novamatic, but it can't do small frames nor rimless. Plus, I'm faster than the machine! :D :D
    I second that!!!
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Past

well
    Last edited by markssunwear; 06-10-2006 at 12:50 PM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well,

I like the Horizon 11,when I get the money to buy a patternless I will buy it but right now i'm dealing with what I have....
    Deal with it.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Congrats on the H2........ I used one for years. Its a worker, and worth every penny.
    As far as your original question, patternmaker technology stopped with the introduction to patternless edgers. The best patternmakers are the ones you described with the screws and perfection.

You could retrofit an ellision system on your H2.

Personally I would get flat pattern blanks, sharp scissors, A sharpie extra fine point marker and an old used handstone for smoothing. With a little practice, you could make patterns by hand faster than any patternmaker.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks............

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Thumbs up The best pattern maker I've ever used ..................

Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7
    The best pattern maker I've ever used is a 15 buck pair of tin snips and a fine point ink marker.
    Your statement is no laughing matter..................this might be the first time over the last 4 years that somebody made a this remark. I start to believe that there are still some people around ,that have learned the basics of optical workmanship.
    :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best pattern maker......ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got my start as a bright eyed, eager to learn 14 year old who had everything to prove to the optical world. I started in a wholesale lab edging room(after my janitor duties were thru). This was the early to mid eighties. The lab rats, woops..sorry, I mean lab personell took great pleasure in sticking me with all of the then popular facetted rimless, odd shape frames, lenses only fropm tracings, etc.

Give me a fine point sharpie, good pattern blank, bevel wheel and snips and prepare to be astounded!!!

OK, bragging time over.

I would say the best is a machine based on the famous Novamatic. Good luck.

Fezz

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best patternmaker was a Novamatic Trackmaster. It was electronic, no frame clamping, minimal centering and could do small eye sizes. Since Labtech took over most of the Novamatic line, you may be able to find it there. If not, check ebay, optical auctions, etc. websites.

Good Luck!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks,

I know all about useing a fine point sharpe snips and a file I make a pretty good pattern myself I have been doing it for years.

I know I can make life easy on myself if I just spend some money on a patternless edger,but I have 2 horizons and a 440 weco maybe all just set one up as a pattern maker and the other as edger...

WOW, I guess there's money in the air, no one uses pattern edgers anymore....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, I, for one still use a pattern edger. Horizon II by Optronics. I don't do every job on this by a long shot, but I still do a fair amount. I understand the machines strengths and weaknesses. I have modified it to better handle the smaller eyeshapes and sizes that it was not built for. I do a majority of my work thru a trace and transmit type system direct to a lab. We are a small, but busy, shop and my time and money is better spent dispensing. There is a place for a pattern edger in any office.
    Others may disagree :D

Fezz

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What,How does that work....

Your quote....
    I do a majority of my work thru a trace and transmit type system direct to a lab.

I think I know what you mean,not sure, There was a company that was trying to set up something were you have a tracer at home/office you trace your frame and it goes to them by fax,you give them the A-B-ED-DBL (PD) Name,ect and they edge and send it to you FED EX/UPS,elision said that this would work with the elision software via fax.
    I run a weco 440 with a elision retro fit at a dr office,but have not tried the fax thing. The retro fit is NOT bad at all,(one cut on size)But is elision still around I can not find them on the web.I need a elision tracer 300.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Big Smile But is elision still around ...................

But is elision still around I can not find them on the web.I need a elision tracer 300.
    Look up my optical supplier web site listing it conatins over 550 optical websites and is at http://optochemicals.com./web_ratings.htm

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What,How does that work....

Your quote....
    I do a majority of my work thru a trace and transmit type system direct to a lab.

I think I know what you mean,not sure, There was a company that was trying to set up something were you have a tracer at home/office you trace your frame and it goes to them by fax,you give them the A-B-ED-DBL (PD) Name,ect and they edge and send it to you FED EX/UPS,elision said that this would work with the elision software via fax.
    I run a weco 440 with a elision retro fit at a dr office,but have not tried the fax thing. The retro fit is NOT bad at all,(one cut on size)But is elision still around I can not find them on the web.I need a elision tracer 300.

I have a tracer. This is the same tracer that a lab would use to trace your frame before edging in there edgers. I enter the job specifics on my regular computer, trace the frame, send it to the lab over the internet. Very easy, very accurate, & vary fast. Some labs will put these systems in at no charge, others will have you lease the tracers, some work out a "deal"=(example...tracer cost $5000, but you get $7 back for every job transmitted plus an additional $300 at the end of the month if your volume is $4000 or higher.). My unit is the size of a small shoebox. I have been looking into these for years and finally felt comfortable this year and have been extremely pleased.

Fezz

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I have one of these, sounds like what you are looking for.
    http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forsale.html
    I am in the UK so it would probably be too expensive to post and I guess voltage would be wrong, we use 240.

I would recommend looking for one, perfect patterns. quick and effortless.
    And if anyone reckons they can make a patern quicker with tin snips, then as is often the case on this board, they are full of BS.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    And if anyone reckons they can make a patern quicker with tin snips, then as is often the case on this board, they are full of BS.
    It can be done, but I don't think anyone here does it anymore. I work on a pattern system in my basement at home essilor profile and I cut my blanks by hand, but for most of frames I sell I have patterns it is just the patients own frames that I do this with and thats not very often.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    But is elision still around I can not find them on the web.I need a elision tracer 300.
    Yes, they can be reached at 306-525-9766 or www.elision.us.
    If you have any trouble getting through, give me a call at 888-351-4467 and I can help you out.

Cory

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thats it..............

Yep, Thats the one I was talking about.I seen one at a show they treid to copy this one but the guy at the show could not get it to work......

but I heard this one works pretty good and the only one i have seen that traces the frame with out having to tightin 15 screws well maybe 5

Quote Originally Posted by rsandr
    I have one of these, sounds like what you are looking for.
    http://www.optiglaze.co.uk/forsale.html
    I am in the UK so it would probably be too expensive to post and I guess voltage would be wrong, we use 240.

I would recommend looking for one, perfect patterns. quick and effortless.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    markssunwear

Read this post:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16621

I improvised my own way to make an exact pattern of any existing demo lens or existing edged lens with a router table and a flush trim bit.

Works like a charm once you figure out what to do, you can't make a more accurate pattern.

I also recently started playing with the tracking pressure and found the magic number to be 14 to make an accurate pattern from a demo/existing lens.

-Steve

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still make some patterns by hand using a felt pen, snips and a file for certain custom shapes. Anyone remember the "pixie" pattern maker? You rolled a bit of plastic or cardboard around the inside of the eyewire, dropped a "chuck" into the middle, then poured low-melt alloy into the mold. When you were done, you simply re-melted the alloy into your next pattern.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wow - I love hearing about this old school stuff!

Any other good stories?

-Steve

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

great pattern maker!

I just got a Dia PM-8. This thing is a pre-cursor to the pattermless jobs.

Call 386-684-1775 and ask for it (I forget they guy's name..)
    It's a Japanese machine..check out the website

http://www.dia-optical.com/pm8.html

about $2500, but worth it if you love your pattern edger.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You know I spent a few dollars on a pattern maker to find that out, it much longer and was just too complicated for something that was easiyl and quickly done by hand. :hammer:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information