Thread: SouthEastern Opticians Conference

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

The SouthEastern Opticians Conference (SEOC) will be holding it's annual meeting in Atlanta, GA on August 25, 26, 27, 2000. This is a newly organized conference that replaces the older Southeastern Society of Dispensing Opticians meeting that was held for 30 years in Atlanta, GA.

For information on this conference call Wink Colley at 770-949-5554, or better yet go to the Optical File Directory on the home page of the Optiboard. http://optiboard.com/index.html

We look forward to seeing all of you at our convention.

Diane Drake :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Diane,
    I was speaking to another optician friend and telling her of this continuing education opportunity and she told me she is Georgia state licensed, but she let her ABO and NCLE expire. Is she still considered licensed in the eyes of the state?
    It seemed crazy to me to let her hard work go to waste.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Cindy,

The state of Georgia does not require that national certification remain in effect. (Although I believe that it is important for all of us). The requirements for maintaining licensure in the state of Georgia is to maintain the 10 hours of Georgia approved continuing education every two years, and paying the required renewal every two years. If your friend needs any information on this, please have her e-mail me. We would look forward to seeing both of you at the meeting in August. The continuing edcuation hours are approved by Georgia. :)
    Hope this helps

Diane

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Just a reminder that it's still not to late to register for the SouthEastern Opticians Conference in Atlanta, GA. Call 770-949-5554 for any further information, or e-mail me. :)

Diane

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Redhot Jumper

Just out of curiosity, is there any chance of combining SEOC with SECO in the future? It always seems a shame that there aren't CEs offered for Opticians at SECO.

Then again, maybe there's a good reason Opticianry doesn't have a greater involvement in SECO... I usually make it to SECO and Expo East (and hopefully, from now on, to the National OAA meeting ;) ) each year, but it gets tough to add many additional events to the schedule.

Pete

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Pete,
    I'm going to e-mail you a response.

Diane

Bad address email on file
    Does anyone know if there will be vendor displays at SEOC? Such as Fashion Optical Displays and Frame manufacturers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Yes, there will be a vendor exhibit. Frames, equipment, contact lenses, lenses, etc. Hope to see you there. I'll be the one on roller skates.

Diane

Bad address email on file

Lightbulb

Diane, I realize this show is not as big as SECO,but can you give me some idea as to the amount of vendors in relation to the amount at SECO. I will not be going for cont. ed,
    just the show. We are opening a new office approx March 2001 and SECO is to late. We want to look at Frame Displays and Equipment.
    Let me know if there are any other shows between SEOC and SECO that are not too far from Georgia. Thanks

[This message has been edited by Sullivan (edited 08-18-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Thanks to all the people who worked so hard to make the second annual SouthEastern Opticians Conference a complete success. The attendance was very good. The evaluations of the courses were all outstanding. The comments on the exhibit hall were very good. The vendors were happy, and sold products.

I would like to thank Steve for posting the registration form on this forum. It's cooperation like this that makes things work. I should also mention that it's not always the large things that make something work. It's sometimes all of the little things added together. That's why it takes so many volunteers to get something done.

:D

Thanks,
    Diane

To Whomever Is Currently In Charge Of SEOC..

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend this year's event. I pretty much have to request vacation one year in advance to almost gaurantee some time off. Anyhow, I was wondering when the 2001 convention is scheduled? And where would be in relation to the Atlanta area? Also, how set in stone is the event date?

Thanks,
    3D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We've just signed a contract for next year. The dates are August 24, 25, 26, 2000. The location will be the same as this year, which is the beautiful Renaissance Waverly in Atlanta, GA. The distance from Atlanta, is nothing. It's located in the northern section of Atlanta at the Galleria area, just inside the I-285 beltway.

The area is VERY safe, and desirable. Close enough to get you to the night life, if you choose, but out enough to feel that you're not smothering. I'll let you know more when the time is closer.

Hope this helps.

Diane

Thread Information