Thread: CENTRAL FLORIDA Optician needed

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave CENTRAL FLORIDA Optician needed

I am in search for a FT/PT optician in Sanford, FL. Great benefits, AWESOME HOURS......3 days off one week and 4 days off second week and that's for the FULL time position.
    Give me a call if you are interested.
    Look foreward to hearing from you.
    Jennifer
    407-688-6084:bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Hi Jennifer,

I am a Licensed Apprentice, seeking a better opportunity. Currently working in Apopka 50 hours per week, driving 100 miles round trip! I have over 4,500 hours recorded with the state board, and apx. 8 months till i can sit for the exam.
    If you have any interest in an Apprentice, please let me know!
    Thanks,
    Michelle 386-547-5415

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'll call

probably tomorrow. I work from 8-4. Look foreward to talking to you.
    Jennifer

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Jennifer,

I stopped by your office yesterday, to check things out. I knew i wouldn't be able to get over there today. I'm sorry to say, it's not exactly what i'm looking for. I think i would much rather find someplace with a full lab, seeing as how i'm still an apprentice, i have some learning to do. Thank you for the prompt response, and good luck finding someone!:)

Michelle

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No prob

Good luck to you. I hope you find someplace as well. Being in the industry, I am sure you know what opticals to stay clear of.
    Have you checked out LC. I hear they are hiring in some of their locations.
    thanks for the courtesy of letting me know.
    Jennifer:bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually i did interview with LC, but they wanted me only for sales. I couldn't take the pay cut, but if i could have got on as an apprentice assisting in the lab i would have done it. Do you know much about Targets?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    owned by Lux, just like LC. sorry. and they don't have a lab either. eyeglass world has a lab, but ooooohhhh, bad, bad, bad reputation. I know for eyes is hiring, but they don't have labs either. have you looked into doing part time at some of the local wholesalers in the area?:bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

I think i may be stuck untill i get my license. My boss has me working 50 hours, and he'd have my head for even taking a lunch break! It is crazy, and recently he cut off my gas card....( live 50 miles away) I also only get paid for 40 hours.... Sigh.
    I need to find Somewhere that can pay me half way decent... Since i am still making good money here, even with all the mess!:hammer:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

doesn't that suck? just remember, they are all CHOICES in life. Never feel stuck. It's frankly not worth it. why do you need some place that has a lab? plenty of people get there hours in without "working" in a lab. just go some where you can get a job, that will continue with your apprenticeship and think LONGEVITY. You may not start out making as much as you do now, but in the long run will it be worth the change.

I worked at EW and took a 1000.00 per month cut to work at walmart, but it was so worth it for me. I like working for a company that will be there in the end, and that I don't have to worry about breaking any laws. at walmart we don't even put screws in or nosepads on if there isn't a lisence on premises or on the clock. ethics to me is worth it. and in the short time i have been there, just since December, I have already been promoted to management. I love it. I will never leave this company for more money. I will stick with them till the end.
    good luck and make your choices wisely. sometimes no amount of money is worth the unhappiness and stress.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

Hmmm, your making me think now..!

I'll admit my boss has tried to brain wash me into thinking all the chains/corps are all bad. But i know that isn't true. We were always happy to give the best service possible, but now he is just out to take advantage of people. I really hate that. Don't get me wrong, i can sell salt to a slug!! But you can do that with everyone, some people just can't afford it. Those people he turns away, and won't give deals to.
    I just want to be happy at work, get my hours in, and make some money in the process!! Is that too much to ask?!?!?!
    Thanks for all the help and ideas! I'm still new to the biz, i've been here a little over 3 years, but i'm only 24.... I don't think i'm going to learn anymore here. I have been told by other opticians i should have taken my ABO and NCLE already. My boss tells me not to do it, untill my hours are done. I know now that is crazy, it will postpone me getting my License. He just wants to postpone paying me as a lic. optician.

Maybe we should still meet.... (am i driving you crazy yet?!?!):hammer:
    I don't want to waste your time, but i don't want quit without knowing what i'm getting myself into!! I'm assuming it will be a lot of weekends since the location, but maybe you can give me a better idea!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not going to try and convince you to work for us, although I do need the help. I can be unbiased about it.

anytime you work "retail" you have to put up with retail hours. my unlilsenced staff work 40 hours a week, never open and never close. the lisences open and close. I myself am very fair with non liscenced staff. I try to give them 2 days off in a row weekly unless they request otherwise. they never work sundays because I don't have a doc on sundays. so they usually work 10-6 or 11-7 on weekdays and 9-5:30 on saturdays with one saturday off per month, except this month my dr's tech has been off every saturday due to scheduling situations.

as for "SELLING" I hate that term. I have NEVER looked at myself as a "salesperson" I am a medical proffessional, a lisenced optician and very proud of it. it is my job and my staffs job, not to sell, but to inform patients as to what is available to them and I trust that my patients after having been informed are capable of making their own dicisions. my personal opinion.

I have worked in some opticals that have to have full staff mon-sat and sometimes even on sundays. and sometimes that's the price we pay being in this industry.
    but I have also worked for places where I had a 9-5 weekends off schedule. It just depends on what you are willing to do.
    I have done the private and chains, and I like the chains for stability and the privates are good for hours. you are still young, so you can still play with either. I myself, have to think about my future and retirement....although I am only 37, not ready to kick the bucket just yet. :o

either way, I am more than willing to talk.....employment with us, or elsewhere. i am a firm believer in happiness and having fun.
    why don't you email me at this address so we can get this conversation off of a public board.
    ohmjennie@adelphia.net

jenn:D

Thread Information