Thread: Flexon Rimless Screw Question

OptiBoard Novice

Flexon Rimless Screw Question

The optician couldn't get the Silhouette rimless frame I wanted for a month (it was backordered) and I didn't love the color anyway, so I suggested a Flexon rimless I saw in a Flexon book. I'm hard to fit - need a 17 bridge. He does carry Flexon, but doesn't have rimless in the store. He told me the rimless Flexon screw was just put on with a nut and would loosen up and be a problem, while the Silhouette screw went into a bushing and would hold much better. Is that true? What do you think, is the Silhouette that much better? I prefer the color of the Flexon.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by penpal0
    The optician couldn't get the Silhouette rimless frame I wanted for a month (it was backordered) and I didn't love the color anyway, so I suggested a Flexon rimless I saw in a Flexon book. I'm hard to fit - need a 17 bridge. He does carry Flexon, but doesn't have rimless in the store. He told me the rimless Flexon screw was just put on with a nut and would loosen up and be a problem, while the Silhouette screw went into a bushing and would hold much better. Is that true? What do you think, is the Silhouette that much better? I prefer the color of the Flexon.
    Yes it does make that much of a difference. I love Flexon and carry many Flexon products in my office however I dont carry that product (rimless)any longer either. I do however have great success with Silhouette with minimal breakage. Silhouette has at least 24 colors available. You werent able to find a color you liked amongst all of those?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by penpal0
    the Silhouette screw went into a bushing and would hold much better. Is that true? What do you think, is the Silhouette that much better? I prefer the color of the Flexon.
    The Silhouette rimless does not actually have a screw at all, it is, rather, a barbed post which is pressed into the 'bushing'. YES it is that much better. Having worn two Silhouette rimless myself since 1998 as my primary eyewear, I know full well the supurb workmanship of this product. I have also sold and dispensed a veritable multitude of these and rarely have any come back with mounting problems (we do these ourself, inhouse) though I have seen a few purchased else where that had the wrong plugs used. Silhouette supplies their own plugs and it is very important that these be used.

Further, there is a multitude of 'copies' out there, usually to be had at a much lower price than the Silhouette. BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID if you are offered such a product. They are not created equal to the Sillhouette, usually the primary design flaw is in the design of the posts, which are invariable flared at their point of attachment to the temple, and will not permit for full compression into the plug. (A nasty problem with this is that this flared attachment will crack the lens; if it doesn't occur when the lenses are at the lab being mounted, it will occur should the temple be bumped or knocked by the client). Also, it allows for some gap between the lens and the temple where a cloth, hair, etc. can become wedged.

Yes, screw mounted rimless are, IMHO, inferrior to the Silhouette because the nuts WILL back off the screws and you will have much more maintenance required on these.

OptiBoard Novice
    Thanks for the answers. As to the color problem, I have a high astigmatism and have been told by everyone to get a rimless with a hinge. In this town I have found only two styles of Silhouettes with a hinge. One has a plastic cover over the hinge and in my view is not attractive. Therefore, I have a choice of only eight colors (ten?). I am gray haired with light skin and prefer something that blends with my skin. Only the mauve, purplish color does that and I don't like purple. Everyone agrees that shiny gold or silver don't look great on me because they stand out. I prefer a pink-silver color, light pink, light brown, light bronze, or even a brushed silver as a last resort. You would think that would allow enough choices, but this frame comes in none of those. The Flexon comes in pink silver. That's why I wanted it. But it is now very clear that I should go with the Silhouette, like it or not. So thank you very much for making it clear what I need to do.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Silhouette rimless with hinge comes in a shade of pink that isn't a pink-pink...more cool than warm. Would look perfect with a fair complected lady with silver hair and be very subtle.

Model 7527 in color 6077

Thread Information