Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing an edger

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

edge finish

Dry cut edgers produced a less than acceptable edge finish in the passed.

Has this been corrected?

james

Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical
    BUY THE OPTRONICS 7E. Forget all the others.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I say it all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui
    If you've never edged before, why do you want to start now?? Let the experts at your local independent lab do it.
    If you got time to edge you ain't doing something right. Hey John, sell 1 pair of extra glasses a month w/ net of 250 and you make 3k more. Wow sell 1 a day for 5 days a week and the sky is the limit. I'd like to see anybody in retail edge that much. 60k a year and that's extra. Selling is where it's at, edging is for labs been there done that. Quit in 1978, best move I ever made.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by James Herman
    Dry cut edgers produced a less than acceptable edge finish in the passed.

Has this been corrected?

james
    (I know you- nickname's "Cowboy", right? )
    Dry cut edgers USED to only prep the lens for polishing. The 6E corrected this problem, and with the 7E Optronics perfected it. No chatter marks if polish is selected; however, standard edging does, since you are essentially edging with a router. The 7E polishes all edges of all materials. Similar to the Nidek edgers, even the safety bevel is polished. If you are serious about acquiring an edger, I highly recommend you find one in your area and ask to see it running.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill West
    If you got time to edge you ain't doing something right. Hey John, sell 1 pair of extra glasses a month w/ net of 250 and you make 3k more. Wow sell 1 a day for 5 days a week and the sky is the limit. I'd like to see anybody in retail edge that much. 60k a year and that's extra. Selling is where it's at, edging is for labs been there done that. Quit in 1978, best move I ever made.

Hey Bill,

Selling IS where it's at! But why quit there ? We didn't start edging until we were selling more than we could afford to send out to have edged. By the time you write up a job, package it, send it, we can have the job completed and on the patient's face. In 1978, they didn't have the technology they do today. No patterns, no groovers needed, no brain needed!

You're right, I don't have time to edge. Neither do any of my opticians. We pay a guy $17 an hour to edge around 65 jobs per day. The price of uncuts make it worth it alone, not to mention the $5 per job edging fee per job.

It's your business if you want to leave money on the table. With the extra money we make on keeping everything in house, it frees me up to do things besides hang out at the office and worry about selling "1 a day". Our multiple sales are through the roof, and who know's how many extra "1 a days" we sell because we have the ability to make them, and have them out the door in about 20 minutes.

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Been called that, and many other names

Well, polishing does seem to be the rage. I'll have to check out Optronic in Sept.

Is Dave Westen your Optronics Rep.?

Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical
    (I know you- nickname's "Cowboy", right? )
    Dry cut edgers USED to only prep the lens for polishing. The 6E corrected this problem, and with the 7E Optronics perfected it. No chatter marks if polish is selected; however, standard edging does, since you are essentially edging with a router. The 7E polishes all edges of all materials. Similar to the Nidek edgers, even the safety bevel is polished. If you are serious about acquiring an edger, I highly recommend you find one in your area and ask to see it running.

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by James Herman
    Well, polishing does seem to be the rage. I'll have to check out Optronic in Sept.

Is Dave Westen your Optronics Rep.?
    Do check them out, you will not be disappointed. Yes, Dave is our rep.

Thread Information