Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reasonable Prices to Expect for Glasses

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jkane1979
    That's why i want to take my father to a nice optometrist, instead of Costco. I just don't agree with your sentiment that my interest in high-index/AR coats means that I can't even consider prices.
    There's nothing at all wrong with costco. IN my opinion, they are the highest-quality (Caution: comparative statement to follow!), lowest-cost provider of glasses nationwide. And they carry the Varilux "stepchildren"; i.e., Natural, ovation, etc., so just how bad is their lens brand offering?

However, if you as a consumer are discriminating, then standing at a counter to get your glasses chosen/adjusted/fixed, and finding out that on the 366th day of ownership, you are out-of-luck with respect to warranty, then costco may n lot be for you...at least not for every eyewear purchase.

I don't know about the rest of the vision providers here, but I like Costco/BJ's/Walmart/the internet. They skim off the bottom feeders from entering my door, and so my prospects qualifications are up!

FWIW

Barry Santini, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini
    I don't know about the rest of the vision providers here, but I like Costco/BJ's/Walmart/the internet. They skim off the bottom feeders from entering my door, and so my prospects qualifications are up!

You do have a valid point about them scooping up the bottom feeders, but the difficulty is, when those individuals come to needing specialized service, emergency service, parts, or repairs, they come to see us because Costco can't accomodate them. They will then, when presented with the charges to be incurred for these services, scream blue murder and will invariably say, "But why??? This whole frame only cost me $XX at costco and you want THAT MUCH just for a temple? Exorbitant!"

We just had one in the office yesterday, and when one factors in the time it takes to explain the whys and wherefores of the price difference, we should be charging near to double what the cost would have been!

Alas, our time is not worth anything...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had some spring temples that are so hard to mount that a price of 10X cost would have been in line. I didn't charge that, but they were that much trouble.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip---

Amen to that!!!!!! Sometimes charging too much is not enough!!

Fezz
    :cheers:

Thread Information