Thread: Optometrist or Optician?

OptiBoard Apprentice

Optometrist or Optician?

I need your advice.

Shall I consult with the Optometrist or Optician when seeking a recommendation for a lens (Nikon Seemax/Sola HD/Hoya Nulux/Augen Trinity) that will best provide me periphereal vision?

Who will be most helpful there?
    Thanks,
    Phil

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No Problem

Why not ask both? Then you decide who is most helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by phil m
    I need your advice.

Shall I consult with the Optometrist or Optician when seeking a recommendation for a lens (Nikon Seemax/Sola HD/Hoya Nulux/Augen Trinity) that will best provide me periphereal vision?

Thanks,
    Phil

OptiBoard Apprentice

to whom..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill West
    Why not ask both? Then you decide who is most helpful.
    Well, everyone's so busy these days it's hard to get a hold of anyone. Figured I'd go to whom I can get the best bang for the buck.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    An optician specializes in glasses and lenses. An optometrist specializes in the eye exam and deriving the prescription. Technically the optician would be the better of the two to ask AS FAR AS LENSES IS CONCERNED. However, not all optician's are knowledgable and up to date as far as products go.

As, you are saying that everyone is too busy to give you the time of day, then look for someone who is willing to give you the service. That is probably one of the more important variables.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Thanks.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Phil,

I have spoken with optometrists that really know lenses inside and out but:;) The optician will have worked hands on with all the different lenses and seen the reactions of various patients wearing different lenses. The optician will (should!) have read up on all the different brands and understand the applications for each one. The optician will probably have more time to sit with you and discuss your vision requirements such as; Amount of time spent reading, using the computer, driving, occupation, etc...

Be sure you speak with a qualified optician. Some states do not require licensing therefore you could be helped by someone who doesn't have much training or experience. You could inquire if the person is licensed or if they have formal training or apprenticeship.

Good luck to you:D

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by phil m
    I need your advice.

Thanks,
    Phil
    I would say yes you should. Only Optometrist may charge for an appointment.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    In theory, the optometrist is the person that you want to see for the eye exam and the optician is the person to see once you have the prescription. But, hold on, jump back, it ain’t quite that simple these days.

You will be pretty well assured of a certain degree of competency when you see the optometrist. After all, he is quite highly educated and sat for a rather extensive examination before receiving his license to practice in your state.

On the other hand, the optician may or may not be licensed, may or may not have any education beyond third grade and may or may not have any competency in the field. Of course, you may be fortunate and find a real optician who has two years of formal education in the craft and who has sat for numerous licensing exams. Unfortunately, there is no real easy way to determine whether the individual who is sitting across the dispensing table from you knows his cookies or is merely parroting sales and marketing hype which you accept as profound knowledge.

I wish that this were not the case. Many of us “old timers” labored long and hard back in the fifties, sixties and seventies to raise opticianry to a higher standard; one that would inspire confidence in us and our craft. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen – shame on us.

So, you are going to have to drop back fifteen yards and punt. Good luck.

OptiBoard Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thanks Dick,

Spoke with the optician Friday, they are hearing me out on research I've done here and on the net... and are checking witht their lab on options for me based on what I've found and my goal for improved periphery.

And.. there is NO SHAME need be felt.. you've done your share in helping your patients and myself with your opinions. 'preciate it.

Thanks to all for contributing to this thread.
    Phil

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I don't know about your area but in Canada there are many dispensing optometrists. 'nuff said.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You're selling an awful lot of your peers short

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    On the other hand, the optician may or may not be licensed, may or may not have any education beyond third grade and may or may not have any competency in the field. Of course, you may be fortunate and find a real optician who has two years of formal education in the craft and who has sat for numerous licensing exams. Unfortunately, there is no real easy way to determine whether the individual who is sitting across the dispensing table from you knows his cookies or is merely parroting sales and marketing hype which you accept as profound knowledge.
    You're selling an awful lot of your peers short with that statement, which is a disservice to them. Have you really had any experience with an optician who has not been educated beyond the third grade???..............I didn't think so!

Pomposity and retirement must go hand in hand. :bbg: It ill becomes you Richard. Who was being instilled with confidence in Opticianry with that statement?
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-06-2006 at 01:05 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Whether its lenses, frames, or laser surgery

I subscribe to the idea that polling "people", i.e., the general public, for their opinion on these items or procedures is not verify scientific.

During my many public lectures and presentations on laser/refractive surgery, the *high-point* of my talk is where I review what we "learned" since 1996, when the FDA said LASIK surgery is safe and efficacious for you! Then I go on to list (up to 15 bullets) items that "doctors" became aware of (such as the importance of tears and dark-adapted pupil size; 20/20 not being "fully" corrected; night myopia, refractive technology progresses as fast as computer speed and hard drive capacity, etc.)

And then I turn to the audience and state (rhetorically):
    Many of you may be thinking, "Mr. Santini, you made quite a persuasive presentation as to why one should proceed cautiously with respect to Laser surgery. How do you reconcile your recommendation for caution with the 100's of thousand's of *eyes* that have had the surgery, and are perfectly happy?"

And then I say:
    "If the general public were so discriminating, McDonald's wouldn't be so popular!"

(long pause)

If you are a discriminating individual..don't believe all the hype in *any* part of the optical field...because this industry is full of it!

FWIW...my 2 cents

Barry Santini, ABOM

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Barry,

I hear you. I am a sceptic in most things. I have seen how a simple diet change eliminated my wife's symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis... something few conventional MDs know about or care to research. Mankind is corrupt.

My inquiry here isn't risking my eyes... i just need info.

Phil

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Harry,

My intention was to answer someone’s question and if my answer does not inspire confidence, so be it.

I am sure that I do not have to point out that Massachusetts CMR 235 2.07: Requirements for Full Licensure as a Dispensing Optician has no educational requirements. (http://www.mass.gov/dpl/boards/do/index.htm) I do respect your right to feel that my message as a disservice to opticianry but my hope is that some others may read it as a wake up call.

You are also correct with your statement regarding the third grade education. Realizing the public educational systems requirements to remain in school until 16 years of age (at least in Massachusetts) it would be hard to encounter anyone without at least a grammar school education. What I should have said was, “may or may not have math, communication skills or knowledge beyond a third grade level.” Yes, you may interpret that as illiterate and yes, I have seen quite a few illiterates behind the dispensing table.

And, finally, my retirement has nothing to do with my pomposity. I was born that way. What retirement has done is to put me on the other side of the dispensing table where I have had some pretty scary encounters. What old age has done is to reduce my tolerance to incompetence and ineptness. But, the big advantage of being an old geezer is that I can say exactly what is on my mind.

You just wait, Harry. It’ll happen to you too. In the meantime see if you can get the Massachusetts legislature to amend CMR 235 2.07 to require a third grade education.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Virginia requires either a high school diploma or the GED equivalent to apply for the state board exams. In addition, applicants must complete a 3 year apprenticeship or an associate degree from a COA accredited Opticianry program. Unfortunately, we still don't require continuing education to maintain that license.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hi Judy,

I'm in Virginia. It's indeed a great shame if there is no continuing education requirements for this profession here. This explains the puzzled looks I've gotten in the past.

Phil

Thread Information