View Poll Results: CPR Certification, do you have it is it important?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, don't have it

14 26.42%
  • Yes, have it

34 64.15%
  • Don't think it is important

5 9.43%

Thread: CPR certification

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

CPR certification

Just wanted to see how many opticians are CPR certified and if it is considered important in their jobs.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've found it comes in handy when my Doc comes into the lab after I've cut a few high index lenses....(The smell gets to her...;))

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think everyone should know CPR and the Hiemlich manuver. It could save lotsa lives

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaqui
    I think everyone should know CPR and the Hiemlich manuver. It could save lotsa lives
    I would agree it is much simpler of a certification than the abo or ncle, yet not many opticians even think about it. I work in an ophthalmology practice and you would be suprised how many people here don't have it (including some ODs).
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've been certified about 5 times through different organizations (learned it in boy scouts, swimming lessons, etc.), most recently 3 years ago.

I've found it a hassle to keep it up to date as most educators seem to want it renewed every 2 years. I know that's not a lot but it's easy to put off.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

CPR and First Aid

I believe that it's important to be currently certified in CPR as well as first aid. You never know when you may need to hold someone's face on.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I refrain from voting this one because my CPR was a requirement as a part-time swimming instructor. Haven't used it on my job in the optical store and I do not think it is that important in this line of work. Useful to those who engage in more strenuous physical activities.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Its IMPORTANT!

If only one life is saved by all the members reading this who get certified, it will be worth all the effort involved to get certified.It is mandatory for all other health care professionals in the Commonwealth of MA. The MA board of Registration of Dispensing Opticians has allowed one ABO credit hour of CE for certification for license renewal purposes. ABO should allow it too!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Ahh . . . a subject near and dear to my heart (no pun intender.) First of all, yes, I have it as it was a requirement of my job. I also agree 100% that all state boards should allow CE credits for CPR training. I am a very strong proponent of CPR. In fact, we have our own Philips HeartStart Defibrillator sitting on the counter in the bathroom.

I have been a big fan of CPR and defibrillators ever since the U Mass Life Star flight nurse slapped the paddles to my chest in 1996 and gave me a couple of jolts when my heart stopped on the flight to the hospital.

Of course, we all realize that the response to this poll will directly correlate with the age of the responder. But, I do strongly recommend CPR and First Responder training to everyone, especially those close to me.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Big Smile It also comes in handy. . .

when those first time progressive wearers go into sticker shock!!
    :drop:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was cerified in CRP lenses. Isn't that a little more optically oriented.

All this "medically related crap" may sound nice on the resume but isn't related to the optical business. While it might be a good thing for everyone to know, an optician isn't any more likely to need this than beermaid, probably less.

I once had a course on the psychological aspects of losing an eye for the ocularists. Has little to do with prosthetic eye making. The patient's psychology is someone else in medicine's problem.

Chip

Occupation
    Here is another handy dandy little pearl:

F.A.S.T.

Many stroke patients have no idea they are having a stroke. Learning to recognize a stroke is important and easy, just think F.A.S.T.

Face - Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?

Arms - Ask the person to hold both arms up evenly. Does one arm drift downward?

Speech - Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence. Are the words slurred or mixed up?

Time - If the person shows any of these symptoms, call 9-1-1 immediately!

This doesnt amount to a pinch of pig poop on the resume either but somebodys grandpa may well appreciate the fact that you read it and remembered it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    It was found that 17 percent of the states required American Red Cross CPR Training for optometric licensure while 11 percent required certification to maintain licensure. ... Optometry can take the lead in health care by requiring CPR certification for all forms of licensure and license renewal.
    Last edited by jannet10; 02-25-2019 at 03:48 AM.

Occupation
    On my 75th birthday my children gave me a Philips HeartStart FRx AED defibrillator. The year before they gave me a GPS. I think there is a message there.

If I were still in business I would have a defibrillator handy for sure. Ya never know.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

On my 75th birthday my children gave me a Philips HeartStart ........................

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

FRx AED defibrillator. The year before they gave me a GPS. I think there is a message there.

If I were still in business I would have a defibrillator handy for sure. Ya never know.

The message was to sell your flying machines and hit the road at that age. At that age I had even sold my boat.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For a short while I was an instructor for CPR many moons ago and knew First Responder's.

Luckily I never had to perform rescue breathing for anyone but be forewarned that you should expect the victim to upchuck (hopefully during compression!) at some point.

A friend went on a call for the ambulance company he worked for over a supposed leg ingury to find the person in total arrest when they went into the house. Since there are always 2 people on an ambulance he wound up doing the breathing and you can guess what happened.

He never went into a house again without a bag-mask.

https://www.theemsstore.com/store/pr...SABEgI3yvD_BwE

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    For a short while I was an instructor for CPR many moons ago and knew First Responder's.

Luckily I never had to perform rescue breathing for anyone but be forewarned that you should expect the victim to upchuck (hopefully during compression!) at some point.

A friend went on a call for the ambulance company he worked for over a supposed leg ingury to find the person in total arrest when they went into the house. Since there are always 2 people on an ambulance he wound up doing the breathing and you can guess what happened.

He never went into a house again without a bag-mask.

https://www.theemsstore.com/store/pr...SABEgI3yvD_BwE
    When I was working as an RRT RCP in the hospital we had a patient code in the cath lab. I was doing compressions , the girl bagging was getting a little enthusiastic and the patient puked all over me.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey,In my opinion it is good to know CPR because it can save your life, your children's lives, your parents' lives, or even a stranger's life.CPR, is a life-saving technique that helps maintain blood flow to the brain and heart in an emergency situation. One of the main benefits of CPR is the fact that it can be performed by just about anyone at any time. If you want to learn or certified in First Aid And Cpr Certification Online then I would recommend to join American CPR Institute where you can learn CPR, First Aid, AED, BLS and bloodborne pathogen online.
    Last edited by vaidehi22; 01-02-2020 at 04:10 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by vaidehi22 View Post
    Hey,
    In my opinion it is good to know CPR because it can save your life, your children's lives, your parents' lives, or even a stranger's life.CPR, is a life-saving technique that helps maintain blood flow to the brain and heart in an emergency situation. One of the main benefits of CPR is the fact that it can be performed by just about anyone at any time. If you want to learn or certified in First Aid And Cpr Certification Online then I would recommend to join American CPR Institute where you can learn CPR, First Aid, AED, BLS and bloodborne pathogen online.
    All for having an AED in your office but.......

“People think about CPR as a miracle, but it’s another medical act,” said Dr. Juan Ruiz-Garcia of Hospital Universitario de Torrejon in Madrid who wasn’t involved in the study. “I’m not really sure what people would choose if they knew the real prognosis of it,” he told Reuters Health by phone.

The whole article:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-cpr-expectations/cpr-survival-rates-are-lower-than-most-people-think-idUSKCN1G72SW

https://www.amazon.com/slp/aed-machine/9sok45r2nkvw9a4

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was working in an ophthalmology practice and one of the MD's flipped out when he found out he had to re-certify on CPR every year but I, as an EMT, re-certified every three years. I didn't bother to opine that I probably performed CPR much more frequently than he did. I knew who buttered my bread.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    I was working in an ophthalmology practice and one of the MD's flipped out when he found out he had to re-certify on CPR every year but I, as an EMT, re-certified every three years. I didn't bother to opine that I probably performed CPR much more frequently than he did. I knew who buttered my bread.
    If I was the one needing CPR, an opthamologist would not be my first choice...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelarep View Post
    If I was the one needing CPR, an opthamologist would not be my first choice...
    Usually if you need CPR you have no choice in who administers it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Usually if you need CPR you have no choice in who administers it.
    Depends on the circumstances.

Thread Information