Thread: Help with new office... supplies, equipment needs.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Help with new office... supplies, equipment needs.

Hello,

I'm looking to start a new optometry office from scratch. I am planning to have 100% of my stuff done offsite initially, and then eventually maybe purchase an edger and do some stuff at the office.

I know exactly what i need as far as optometric equipment, but i'm positive i'm forgetting a few things when it comes to the optical side. Could you guys/women help me come up with a list of minimum things i would need to have a dispensory? I assume I'd need to have some extra nosepads, frame warmer, lensometer, adjustment tools.

I guess from the start I don't want to buy too much stuff, or things that won't really be used or that the lab would do. At the same time, I dont' want to have to ship the glasses back out for silly things either.

hope that all makes sense. I've been reading on here for a while, and its nice to get advice and info from people that aren't trying to sell me something.../
    thanks,

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My best advice is to hire an experienced Optician and work with her or him to set up your dispensary. You'll save money in the long run and impress your patients with the immediate professionalism of the practice.

Idea

I would invest in a good set of tools for adjusting and repairs, various screws (eyewire, nosepad, self threading, spring hinge), also nose pads in a few different sizes (both snap in's and screw in's), temple covers, eyewire, shrink tubing, and don't forget the frame warmer.

I'm sure there's more that I'm missing, but hey it's a good start!:D
    "Be who you are and say what you feel,

because those who mind don't matter
    and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    My best advice is to hire an experienced Optician and work with her or him to set up your dispensary. You'll save money in the long run and impress your patients with the immediate professionalism of the practice.
    Orange:

If you must ask what you need, you most definitely NEED the above suggestion.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So, because I ask numerous suspected professionals in the area of opticianry their professional opinion, I must not understand anything and need to hire an optician??

I'm not sure I understand the logic of having a forum. Perhaps I should be more specific next time. Perhaps I should word it this way. Assume you are opening up from scratch. What items of a small lab would I be likely to forget to add into the startup costs of a business proposal.

I'm sorry if i sound rude, but I ask questions to actually learn something, not to be told that I don't know something and I should pay to have someone do it for me.

thanks for the advice, all the best.

if anyone else has anything else to add, please feel free to drop me a line or two.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Now . . . now, easy does it.

These forums exist to exchange information and opinion on general optical topics. Contributors range from optical gurus to confused consumers. I am always amazed when someone who identifies himself as a an optician or optometrist expresses ignorance of a subject which is basic to the standards of the job or profession. While we can all respect the concept of on the job training it is usually done in school or in early work experience – not after you start a business. Lack of knowledge of the tools and supplies is not really your problem. It is the lack of knowledge in their use them that makes me shudder. If you want your new enterprise to be successful you should either hire an optician or hold off until you have acquired the appropriate skill level.

That’s my opinion.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Anything you can do yourself........................

Quote Originally Posted by orangezero
    I guess from the start I don't want to buy too much stuff, or things that won't really be used or that the lab would do. At the same time, I dont' want to have to ship the glasses back out for silly things either.
    Anything you can do yourself in your own office will save you money in one way and make you more money on the other hand.

You should look into every possible way that does not take a fortune to setup and operate. You can find just about every important website in the optical industry at http://optochermicals.com/web_ratings.htm

There is one plug I want to make for myself: start doing your own tinting and UV treatments, scratch resistant treatments, slick coats on AR coated lenses with a total near zero cost factor for equipment. Look it up at http://optochemicals.com

Quote Originally Posted by rBaker
    Lack of knowledge of the tools and supplies is not really your problem. It is the lack of knowledge in their use them that makes me shudder
    We all know that young optometrist's come out of school with a doctors degree and limited knowdledge in practical optics because the schools do not put too much importance on that field.

Therfore it is my believe to rather give some help and advice to the ones that have the guts to start their own independent business rather than go and work for the "evil empire".

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    orangezero,

I don't think you asked anything wrong so ignore those that do not offer constructive help. In your career and life you will be surrounded by people who only have negative opinions or ideas. Know who is giving you information and understand their personality so you can better weigh their "advice".

FYO, I started much the way you are doing now and taught myself along the way. As Chris said, it will save you money doing things yourself and additionally you will grow as a practioner and business person not having to rely on others. I would recommend that you learn every aspect of your field/business before you hire someone to work for you. As long as you know how to do all the jobs required for your practice you will not be held hostage by any one individual.

If you have any questions and you would be more comfortable doing so privately feel free to PM me.

Doc

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My concern was only that it would seem difficult to train someone to fit, adjust and dispense eyewear if you are in the exam lane, not that you lacked the requisite skill set. As evidenced by the increase in consumer questions on OptiBoard, the public has become a very unforgiving lot, most willing to second guess even the best of us. If I can help in any way, please let me know.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I would have naturally assumed..........even of a suspected OD...

So, because I ask numerous suspected professionals in the area of opticianry their professional opinion, I must not understand anything and need to hire an optician??

I'm not sure I understand the logic of having a forum. Perhaps I should be more specific next time. Perhaps I should word it this way. Assume you are opening up from scratch. What items of a small lab would I be likely to forget to add into the startup costs of a business proposal.

I'm sorry if i sound rude, but I ask questions to actually learn something, not to be told that I don't know something and I should pay to have someone do it for me.

thanks for the advice, all the best.

if anyone else has anything else to add, please feel free to drop me a line or two.
    I would have naturally assumed that even if you are a new OD you would have been given a rudimentary exposure to what you would need for a dispensary during your clinical training. As a matter of fact, I am sure you were. I hope you didn't skip school during your clinical time, because this was probably the most important part of rounding you out as an OD.

This leads me to wonder why you asked the question in the first place.What, specifically,do you need to know?
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-01-2006 at 07:35 AM.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I regret that you interpreted our (Judy's and my) suggestion to hire an optician in a negative manner, as that was not what was intended in any way. I still stand by my suggestion, however,as a peace-treaty, here's a few requisite items for your dispensary:

-- lens clock
    -- thickness calipers
    -- vertex distometer
    -- hand edger
    -- acetone and methyl hydrate
    -- lab towels
    -- loctite
    -- dremel tool with accessories and drill bits
    -- ultrasonic frame cleaner (or toothbrushes :) )
    -- OLA Progressive Lens Identifier

Quoting DocInChina, "I don't think you asked anything wrong so ignore those that do not offer constructive help. In your career and life you will be surrounded by people who only have negative opinions or ideas. Know who is giving you information and understand their personality so you can better weigh their "advice". "

My suggestion of hiring an optician is based upon the fact that I have been an optician for nearly 20 years, and currently serve a position on our Provincial regulatory agency's Quality Assurance Committee and have been involved in our Provincial Optician's association in the past. I have seen some particularly terrible things come through the doors of the dispensary I work in, from new optometric offices (and new independant dispensaries as well) where the staff have zero knowlege of opticianry and the office was unable to service even the most mundane and routine dispensing and trouble-shooting matters. So, again, I deeply regret giving you the impression that I was not attempting to offer up constructive assistance.
    Last edited by Cindy K; 06-01-2006 at 08:43 AM.

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi there,

Don't forget cutting pliers and files. Be sure to get the good cutting pliers that can handle different types of metals. They come in handy for shortening temples and cutting the ends of replacement screws. Get a good "spoon" type file to smooth metal ends after cutting. Get self aligning screws for spring hinges. You may want screws of 1.3, 1.4, 1.5 diameters (this will work for most glasses)

Get a magnetic strip that can be mounted to the wall to hold all your tools; it keeps them off the counter tops. They can be purchased from some kitchen supply stores or Hilco, etc.. ($).

If you plan on selling rimless eyewear you will need nuts, bolts and compression sleeves. You will also need hex wrenches and adjustment pliers to avoid damaging the mountings.

I would recommend going to Vision Expo to purchase things like a frame warmer or Hand Edger. I recently purchased these items at a fraction of the cost from smaller companies as compared to the ones that advertise in 20/20, eyecare business, etc..

Lastly; a poorly run optical can really run your practice into the ground. I agree that if possible you should get a qualified Optician to run the optical; it will give you more time to practice Optometry instead of putting out fires in that department. After all, a significant percentage of income will be generated from your refractions. Many patients will not return if the glasses aren't properly adjusted and serviced (remember; the one thing the patient will take home and keep to remember their experience will be their glasses).

I wish you success in your future practice. :cheers:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks for the replies. Like i said, I hope I didn't come off as sounding rude, I do think hiring a certified optician would be my best bet. I made the second post to get more info, ie keep the ball rolling.

I've noticed a lot of times on other forums I'll ask a question about something, and one person will reply and say "oh, just go get a quote from a carpenter" or "you'd need to go to a glass shop to get that done" AND then no one else would reply. Didn't want that to happen.

What really excited me about this board is that I can read through a 5 page posting on one topic and get tons of ideas on things I wouldn't have thought about or forgot.

No, I didn't get the chance to skip out on the optical while in school, I actually enjoyed learning about it for the most part. That being said, we do spend a lot more time diagnosing glaucoma than we do adjusting frames.

I also noticed a lot of equipment, tools, etc. sitting around in our lab at school that we never used, and I did want to see what opticians actually used on a daily basis.

Anyway, No peace treaty needed. :) thanks for the continued postings. I appreciate it.

I'm still several months out and my goal is to find someone with some experience. But its going to be a small office, 3 days a week, and my staff will definitely have to be trained in a lot of different areas.

take care all.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Order Hilco's and similar catalogs. (Hilco 1-800-655-6544). Go through it page by page. As you need things you'll find they have it because no matter what the list we create here it is always lacking! Funky tool I can't live without is a staking tool. I don't drill out broken off screws, I punch'm out!!
    Get magazines like 20/20 for informative ideas for your dispensary.
    When we suggest you hire expierence it's because many of us wind up seeing your unhappy dispensary patients and make them ours:D
    Uncle Fester (under coworker Andrews heading)
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Thread Information