Thread: Can I get rimless glasses?

OptiBoard Novice

Can I get rimless glasses?

I am so excited to find this forum. I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. But I'll start here. After asking several local opticians who said I can't have rimless glasses, I gave up. I wear trifocals (after 10 yrs. of using them, I gave up on progressives because of distortion and small reading area). Here's my prescription: O.D. -3.00, -3.75, 094; O.S. -3.75, -4.50, 085; with an add of 2.25. Do you agree I can't have rimless? Thanks so much for any help.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by penpal0
    I am so excited to find this forum. I have so many questions, I don't know where to start. But I'll start here. After asking several local opticians who said I can't have rimless glasses, I gave up. I wear trifocals (after 10 yrs. of using them, I gave up on progressives because of distortion and small reading area). Here's my prescription: O.D. -3.00, -3.75, 094; O.S. -3.75, -4.50, 085; with an add of 2.25. Do you agree I can't have rimless? Thanks so much for any help.
    Consumers are allowed to post on the Board, as long as the posts concern general eyecare related topics. However please be aware that any questions that involve diagnosing specific eyecare and eyewear problems are not appropriate for an online discussion forum. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation. Posts asking for diagnostic help will be closed or removed.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy: You are getting abit heavy handed with where you draw the lines. Tell the man he can have rimless glasses if he wants them. This does not involve some sophisticated medical diagnosis on an ignorant opticians part. (And neither does most of the contact lens questions you screen out.)

Chip

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by penpal0
    Keep them as small as possible. Ask for Proceed lenses. Do this and if you still can't find someone to make, send me a PM. I'll help you get it worked out.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Judy: You are getting abit heavy handed with where you draw the lines. Tell the man he can have rimless glasses if he wants them. This does not involve some sophisticated medical diagnosis on an ignorant opticians part. (And neither does most of the contact lens questions you screen out.)

Chip
    1. I don't screen out anybody. I don't have that authority.
    2. Perhaps it's time you read the posting guidelines.
    3. What do we know about this patient that would allow a responsible Optician to make this judgement?
    4. Would you like to have this patient come in to your practice with our advice and proceed to tell you what you should provide?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have done quite a few rimless glasses for patients with similar and/or worse prescriptions as yours. Whether or not your Optician will is the question but it can be done to answer your question.

Good luck.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Judy:

If I had told a patient something I knew to be a lie, I should be called to account. If I told something erronius out of ignorance, then I would like to correct my ignorance.
    Now if the optician had told this patient that his Rx or lens choice would be, thick or ugly or heavy, or even too delicate in this configuration that might be justifyable, but to say something can't be done when it can just ain't right.

This is the same as an eye doctor that is too lazy to fit bifocal contact lenses telling a patient that "They don't make 'em yet." He could refer this work out if he doesn't want to do it, which would be the honorable thing to do.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There has been no mention of why this patient has been told no and that's the most important imformation of all. I will repeat. We do not know anything about this person and whatever fitting/rx/frame choices are desired and for that reason and that reason alone the post is inappropriate and efforts to provide advice to the contrary are irresponsible.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    There has been no mention of why this patient has been told no and that's the most important imformation of all. I will repeat. We do not know anything about this person and whatever fitting/rx/frame choices are desired and for that reason and that reason alone the post is inappropriate and efforts to provide advice to the contrary are irresponsible.
    GOOD LORD! Somebody please help THESE women.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Judy:

If I had told a patient something I knew to be a lie, I should be called to account. If I told something erronius out of ignorance, then I would like to correct my ignorance.
    Now if the optician had told this patient that his Rx or lens choice would be, thick or ugly or heavy, or even too delicate in this configuration that might be justifyable, but to say something can't be done when it can just ain't right.

This is the same as an eye doctor that is too lazy to fit bifocal contact lenses telling a patient that "They don't make 'em yet." He could refer this work out if he doesn't want to do it, which would be the honorable thing to do.

Chip
    The way you spelled erroneous was erroneous, maybe out of ignorance??LOL!! I'm just picking at you! I couldn't resist, it was too easy!!LOL!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe it should just be said that.....based on the prescription alone that is given, yes, the glasses can be made, however, there may be additional reasons as to why they cannot be made and your optician will provide those reasons.

Question therefore answered.......

Thread Information