Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center Thickness

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Center Thickness

Is there standard center thickness (minus power) for progressive lenses?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The standard is not nessecarily on the type of lens, but on the impact resistance. Look into the ANSI standards.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Center Thickness

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    The standard is not nessecarily on the type of lens, but on the impact resistance. Look into the ANSI standards.
    The custmores here don't care about the impact resistance, but instead they want their lenses thinner as possible, especially for minus power. Usually I made 2mm for index 1.498, 1.4mm for 1.54 and 1.2mm for 1.60 respectively.

I am so sorry by throwing a stupid question to you. Thanks.

Occupation
    If impact resistance is not a consideration than you can make it as thin as you want. Keep in mind that the lens base changes according to the add power and you must compensate for that. In the US we use prism thinning to compensate for the thickness created by the progressive lens wich is usually equal to 2/3 the add power, however this is only a rule of thumb and the more accurate methods would be to take all factors into account including frame B size, power and base. I would suggest doing a search or some research on prism thinning.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Lens Center Thickness

Hope this helps if you need more info check out www.technicalopticians.org and do a search for "saggital" , or download all the equations.
    Harry, I learned about CT and ET from the above website.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ct

Samuel, this has been a pet peeve of mine for years, why do you want to grind a lens down to 1.2 or 1.4, what ever you take off the center is the same amount you will lose on the edge. i think all lenses should never be less then 1.8, reason being that when you grind down the lens that thin, the lens can now flex more easily, especailly in these frames today with the real narrow "B" measurements. Also, Samuel, how many of your patients who are wearing say a -4.00 could tell if they had an extra half a millimeter thickness?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake
    Samuel, this has been a pet peeve of mine for years, why do you want to grind a lens down to 1.2 or 1.4, what ever you take off the center is the same amount you will lose on the edge. i think all lenses should never be less then 1.8, reason being that when you grind down the lens that thin, the lens can now flex more easily, especailly in these frames today with the real narrow "B" measurements. Also, Samuel, how many of your patients who are wearing say a -4.00 could tell if they had an extra half a millimeter thickness?
    Harry, most of the patients here always want their lenses as thin as possible at the edge, and they even don't care about the safety center thickness. I sometimes grind the SOLAOne 1.6 down to 1.1 just to meet the patient's requirement. Thanks for your advise.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I am just curious about CT as well. Can anyone else comment on the fact that if you reduce ct by 0.5mm, edge thickness will be exactly reduced by the same amount no matter what the A, B or ED is. Also would it not stand to reason that if you have a small B, you would have more support for the lens in a full rim frame thus decreasing the chance of warpage? Even with 1.2 ct and a small B say 18, there is support through out the periphery which should reduce risk of distortion...As an OD, this is not my strenght but this logic makes sense to me...maybe only me!!! Looking for feedback.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope I understand your questions correctly. Imagine a plano base curve, -4.00 lens ground to 1mm center. The back surface is (obviously) a -4.00. Edge that lens into a frame with a small depth measurement, and you have thicker nasal and temporal edges than upper/lower edges. Now take a plano lens 1mm thick and using 4.00 curves, edged to the same shape, then laminate it to the back of the rx lens. You now have a lens made 1mm thicker uniformly across the whole lens, and the power remains the same. Now you can reverse that, and start with a 2mm ct lens, and grind 1mm off, and you are back where you started. Taking a mm off the center takes a mm off the edge. Regarding your second question, take about a stiff piece of cardboard, about 6 inches by three. Try bending it. You will notice it bends far more readily lengthwise that widthwise, and, as the bend is put into it lengthwise, it becomes even more difficult to bend it widthwise. Lenses are no different of course, and when plastic lenses are quite warm, as on a hot day, they are prone to warping due to uneven stresses put on them. I hope this helps.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks dave for a very easy to understand explanation...very basic but to the point. Is there more chance of a lens warping in a smaller frame or a bigger frame? In your cardboard example, it is easy to understand that the narrow B will be hard to bend (distortion) than the A, so you would seem to agree that in smaller frames, the probability of distortion is smaller. Is this true even in myopic lenses where lens thickness increases away from the center of the lens?

Occupation
    In your cardboard example, it is easy to understand that the narrow B will be hard to bend (distortion) than the A, so you would seem to agree that in smaller frames, the probability of distortion is smaller. Is this true even in myopic lenses where lens thickness increases away from the center of the lens?
    I think what you mean is that the bend occurs along the 90 degree meridian in the smaller B sizes and that holds true especially for the myopes, because of the fact that the lens is much thinner along that meridian than the 180 or the A. I am sure everyone that has been doing this optical thing for a while has seen the small plastic frames with shallow B easurements that are bowed out of the front of the frame, this is due to flex wich can be from a combination of too large of a lens, to thin a lens, and incorrect beveling to name a few.

I have seen some lenses from overseas come in almost paper thin in the centers, as an optician I feel it is necessary to inform your clients of the risks involved with thin lenses. There is a limit and t is an opticians job to not let the patient cross that line, after all if any patient ha a choice they would say make it as thin as they could possibly go, theoretically it could be surfaceds down to fractions of a mm, but you would lose the functionality of the lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ct

Harry, perfectly said, FrancisOD, also think of this like a piece of string that you have laying out flat on a table, now curve the string, and if you do nothing more, it stays that way, but pull on both ends at the same time and what happens, the string now becomes straight, which is what exactly happens to the top and bottom of the frame and even more so with these frames with the small b measurements.

Another thought that no one ever thinks of is the fact that the bevel of the frame has a certain width to it. If you grind down the lens so thin, that it does not take up all the space of the bevel, that lens is going to wind up being loose real fast.

As HarryC. said you can only let your customers control you to a point and then you have to do what is smart for both of you. Why do you want to risk a lawsuit over a half a millimeter?

Professional Rabble-Rouser hipoptical's Avatar
    Occupation
    I have seen some lenses from overseas come in almost paper thin in the centers, as an optician I feel it is necessary to inform your clients of the risks involved with thin lenses. There is a limit and t is an opticians job to not let the patient cross that line, after all if any patient ha a choice they would say make it as thin as they could possibly go, theoretically it could be surfaceds down to fractions of a mm, but you would lose the functionality of the lens.
    Risks with thin lenses? I agree if you mean problems associated with fit in particular frames. Optics should always be correct no matter the thickness. In the USA "we" are obsessed with "protecting" other people's "rights", and thus we are afraid to make lenses thin. "What happens if you get hit in the eye with a rock, Mr. Jones?" What I want to know, is what happens when people get hit in the eye when wearing no glasses at all? They should sue God for giving them perfect vision, and not having to be convinced to wear super-high-impact-bullet-proof-won't-break-light-weight-thinner-than-the other material-but not as thin as other countries-lenses by the "optician" who had a total of 3 hours "training" and will be manager soon.
    I say make 'em thin! As thin as optically possible. If you need impact-resistant lenses for whatever reason, get those ALSO; for dress get 'em below 1mm CT. (By-the-way: I make 1.56 with a 1.0 CT and it passes drop ball testing at over 100 inches even after A/R.)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by hipoptical
    (By-the-way: I make 1.56 with a 1.0 CT and it passes drop ball testing at over 100 inches even after A/R.)
    What's the thinnest CT you had ever made for mineral 1.7 & 1.8? Thanks.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What I want to know, is what happens when people get hit in the eye when wearing no glasses at all? They should sue God for giving them perfect vision, and not having to be convinced to wear super-high-impact-bullet-proof-won't-break-light-weight-thinner-than-the other material-but not as thin as other countries-lenses by the "optician" who had a total of 3 hours "training" and will be manager soon.
    Except that the lens in front of the eye is much more likely to splinter into sharp fragments. Blunt trauma to the eye is bad but penetrating injury is often worse.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong
    Don't make those... sorry.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory
    Except that the lens in front of the eye is much more likely to splinter into sharp fragments. Blunt trauma to the eye is bad but penetrating injury is often worse.
    Yeah, that's the theory. My point is, why do we (Americans) feel the need to shoulder the responsibilities that others should carry. It should be up to the wearer to take the risk or not. They should be informed of what MIGHT happen in case by some freak accident they are hit specifically in the eye.
    What we should do is lobby to make all clothing manufacturers fabricate using only those materials that would stop sharp objects and bullets, rocks, and U.V. A, B, C and be tear resistant and come with a warranty. We all know that many more injuries are sustained in the main part of the body, so if we're forced to wear clothes, then the makers should provide us with the safest possible. I had a hat on one day to protect my head from the sun. I got hit and some of the fibers went into my skin. That wouldn't have happened if the hat was made better, so I'm gonna sue. (I'm using the lawyer that got the McDonalds coffee lady her money.)
    What if you wear gas-perm contacts and get hit in the eye? Instant R.K.? Instant Lawsuit. Welcome to America... how may we sue you?
    If I educate you I've fulfilled my responsibility. The rest is up to you, or should be. Of course, to educate another, one must be educated himself... and thus the real problem rears it's ugly head once again.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Keep in mind that in the United States we are obviously required by law to supply lenses that can withstand a certain level of impact. Consequently, given that impact resistance is proportional to the center thickness, squared, thin centers are limited first and foremost by the law (even if the wearer isn't particularly concerned about impact resistance). However, even if no such requirements were in place, the flexural stability of the lens material will still place a practical limit on thickness.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    (By-the-way: I make 1.56 with a 1.0 CT and it passes drop ball testing at over 100 inches even after A/R.)
    And do you test every pair you make this way or do you test one out of a batch? Hey make them as thin as you like, but keep in mind this isn't like the lady sueing McDonalds, because if you get sued they are going to make you look like an optician that just disregarded the standards. How many opticians that would be called to testify would back you up?

Let's look at in perspective:

How many of you would increase the risk of serious injury or enucleation 10%; to shave 0.2mm off of your lens? What about 10%, for 0.4mm?

These figures are not in any way accurate and the risks are extreme, but the thickness is real. It's not very difficult to inform and convince your client to take your advice for a safer lens.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Originally Posted by Samuel Jong

Don't make those... sorry.
    For mineral 1.8 with 1.1 CT is fine? Or what's your recommendation?

Occupation
    And do you test every pair you make this way or do you test one out of a batch?
    Of course not every pair is tested. I have never seen any lab test every lens they make. (Most labs don't test at all any more...) We do test, though on a regular basis, and certainly more than one lens or pair. Just because I think all the regulations are over-kill, doesn't mean that we don't follow the rules. We just found a way to produce products that are thinner, yet still over-exceed the ANSI requirements for impact-resistance. Any time something is changed in our process, or new products are developed, extensive testing is done to ensure quality on every level. (We are not in opthalmic eyewear only. We do work for the military [domestic and foreign allies], the computer industry, the plano sunglass market, and have done some things for the space program. We're not a flighty organization. I just know that in America, our regulations are over-kill in many cases. We do things not because it's practical or best, but because it's the easiest way, or to avoid lawsuits. That's why the rest of the world surpasses us in many things in general, and in most aspects of the eyeglass industry.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Jong
    Originally Posted by Samuel Jong

For mineral 1.8 with 1.1 CT is fine? Or what's your recommendation?
    I cannot speak with any degree of intelligence about these lenses, as I have not worked with them. I can only say that I have seen lenses like them ground to 1.0 CT, and I was impressed with how they looked and with the clarity optically speaking. With many things, the process itself has much to do with the outcome. Two identical lenses, processed differently, could yeild different results. For a clear answer, someone else needs to respond that knows by experience, and is willing to share.

Occupation
    Of course not every pair is tested. I have never seen any lab test every lens they make. (Most labs don't test at all any more...) We do test, though on a regular basis, and certainly more than one lens or pair. Just because I think all the regulations are over-kill, doesn't mean that we don't follow the rules. We just found a way to produce products that are thinner, yet still over-exceed the ANSI requirements for impact-resistance.
    I am not saying you have a flighty operation. Wha I meant was if you surface close to the brink of being within standards then you don't know if that one lens you tested 5 years ago with a 1mm ct and AR passed by a fluke or if it truly can withstand the test. It's not that it is not possible for lenses to go thinner, but at a certain point you run the risk of breaking them. For example one of the labs I use will charge extra for a poly with a 1mm center thickness and that is due to the fact that when they surface beyond their set limits they will test every pair and some times they break. Higher breakage means higher cost.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For example one of the labs I use will charge extra for a poly with a 1mm center thickness and that is due to the fact that when they surface beyond their set limits they will test every pair and some times they break.
    You should probably confirm this with your laboratory. There are currently no officially accepted methods for the non-destructive impact testing of plastic lenses. Consequently, impact testing for plastic lenses is typically done using batch sampling. Any "breakage" when surfacing 1.0 polycarbonate probably refers to surfacing aberrations, off-powers, and so on.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    I spoke to manager at the lab, unless he is blowing smoke up my you know. If it is due to abberations all the same it still wont meet standards, but being that I work in a pediatric practice we are very strict on everything being impact resistant. I have parents all the time ask if we can go thinner and I can't and usually explain that the safety is not something we would consider budging on for vanitys sake. I have actually lost customers due to thickness.

If this lens is part of a batch sampling and a some lens passes than this lens passes, but is this lens the reference lens and what is the % of defect that comes from this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    Any "breakage" when surfacing 1.0 polycarbonate probably refers to surfacing aberrations, off-powers, and so on
    Good point Darryl however these are considered surfacing errors when sampling and I was under the impression that they did not count the same way in the sampling. Please correct me if I am wrong.

The doctor I work with is lobbying within our state to make sports googles a mandatory thing on the state fields. I have seen video and pictures of some pretty messed up eyes due to impacts. I myself am a little more cautious with the

Thread Information