Thread: Optician v. Optometrist

Bad address email on file

Optician v. Optometrist

I am a glasses wearer and fairly knowledgeable. Anyway, I was in Shanghai on business and had time to kill and saw a high end shop with very nice frames. So I inquired as of price and then was interested, but did not have my prescription. The sales person said don t worry and gave me an exam using the automatic refractor.......and then testing on the outcome of that. So, I was given a prescription and it seemed similiar to mine ( although the add was +1.75 - I was wearing a +1.25, but it was at least six months old).
    I got a great pair of Sillouhette frames with progressive lenses and it was most clarity I ever had. the 1.75 is definitely better..........I was quite surprised..........In USA, I would never have taken an exam from anyone but an OD. Quite an interesting and fruitful experience.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    China requires a licensed optometrist to examine you in any optical shop. Unfortuntely there are far more optical shops than there are optometrists. [Please note that an optometrist in China does not have the same education as an optometrist in the USA or Canada.]

The people in the optical shops are "trained" to refract typically by a co-worker or an optometrist. Many times there are untrained people working in shops and they prescribe based upon the autorefractor finding. I am glad you are satisfied with your vision, your purchase and your experience in China.

Doc

Thread Information