Thread: Opticians

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Opticians

We are looking for licensed opticians for the Western N.Y. area. If your looking for a competitive pay instead of the normal $15-$16 per hour that Doctors want to pay you, then please feel free to drop me a line here (Optiboard) or at lee2fish2000@yahoo.com or fax me your resume' at:585-223-3306. Benefits include health care, dental, 401k and more. We are also looking for the Buffalo,
    Syracuse, Watertown,Auburn and Elmira markets for Opticians and OD's as well.
    Trainees please feel free to apply.

Thank You
    Jediron1

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The current rate for licenses in N.J. average median for 2004 is 21.46 per hour(NJ State Employment Dept of Statistics), some higer some lower depending on skill level and negotiation ability and location ($27.62 in city areas and along the shore). Most Wallmarts start at $25.00 with little experience here in N.J. I believe Costco is one of the best employers around, with the highest pay for opticians amongst the chain industry. I think our trade especially with Luxottica dominating our industry needs union representation. People in our trade over twenty five years ago were making 17.oo an hour. Luxottica keeps standard 3% cost of living adjustments, rarely ever giving raises. I do not recommend Luxottica. I think the opticains throughout the US should write to our congress and state represnetatives regarding the monopoly this company has been alowed to take.
    If you go back a few years ago it was Luxottica and Cole that fought to prevent opticians from being licensed in the state of Pennsylvania. As we all know Licensing can only benefit the consumer, raising the level of education and safety provided to the residents of the state with an increase in the standard of living. By the way N.Y. median(statewide average) for licensed opticains in NY for the year 2004 is $19.84 per hour. Higher 27.41 in 2004 if in the city. Ive provided the state link http://www.acinet.org/acinet/occ_rep...s=36&search=Go
    Last edited by Jan Post; 05-02-2006 at 05:54 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Post
    The current rate for licenses in N.J. average median for 2004 is 21.46 per hour(NJ State Employment Dept of Statistics), some higer some lower depending on skill level and negotiation ability and location ($27.62 in city areas and along the shore). Most Wallmarts start at $25.00 with little experience here in N.J. I believe Costco is one of the best employers around, with the highest pay for opticians amongst the chain industry. I think our trade especially with Luxottica dominating our industry needs union representation. People in our trade over twenty five years ago were making 17.oo an hour. Luxottica keeps standard 3% cost of living adjustments, rarely ever giving raises. I do not recommend Luxottica. I think the opticains throughout the US should write to our congress and state represnetatives regarding the monopoly this company has been alowed to take.
    If you go back a few years ago it was Luxottica and Cole that fought to prevent opticians from being licensed in the state of Pennsylvania. As we all know Licensing can only benefit the consumer, raising the level of education and safety provided to the residents of the state with an increase in the standard of living. By the way N.Y. median(statewide average) for licensed opticains in NY for the year 2004 is $19.84 per hour. Higher 27.41 in 2004 if in the city. Ive provided the state link http://www.acinet.org/acinet/occ_rep...s=36&search=Go

jan thank you for kind post. I was only pointing out that if you want to earn more than what most Doc's want to pay then we can offer more. I have checked around and most Doc's only pay between $13.00 to $16.00 per hour
    at least around the Western N.Y. area. I have interviewed with numerous Doc's and as soon as I give them my pay stub and say if you can pay me this ( what I m making now I will come and work for you ) most don't even bother to offer because they don't want to pay more than what I quoted above.

Thanks
    Jediron1

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doctors in NJ have lobbist that allow them to bypass hiring licensed opticians in N.J. instead by many using sales associates that have no idea of optics but a flair for fashion, shorting the consumer health protection, which is what consumer protection laws and licensing our profession is all about. I see this as major flaw in our law, since most doctors rarely if ever actually do the verification, measuring and dispensing of finished and proccessing eyewear lenses:finger: . Ive spoken to optomtrists regarding thier optometry training and all said only one class, 3cedit hour in our field of expertise is provided at optometry school. Im not sure if NY law requires hiring licensed opticians, I do know that NY does license opticians.
    Last edited by Jan Post; 05-02-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Doctors in NJ have lobbist that allow them to bypass hiring licensed opticians in N.J. instead by many using sales associates that have no idea of optics but a flair for fashion, shorting the consumer health protection, which is what consumer protection laws and licensing our profession is all about. I see this as major flaw in our law, since most doctors rarely if ever actually do the verification, measuring and dispensing of finished and proccessing eyewear lenses:finger: . Ive spoken to optomtrists regarding thier optometry training and all said only one class, 3cedit hour in our field of expertise is provided at optometry school. Im not sure if NY law requires hiring licensed opticians, I do know that NY does license opticians.

Jan if you work for OD or MD ( N.Y. ) you can work under there license and thereby you can bypass the need for a licensed Optician. Why do think L.C.
    has so many stylists on hand and only a small percentage of licensed people?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because there into selling fashion and not lenses that properly work for the rx. Ive seen some awful jobs done in our store because sales associates have no concept of how pd effects a finished pair of glasses nor do they understand the concept of optics for that matter. Its a game left on the sholders of the optician left amongst a staff of(as we say in the carpenter trade, put a hammer in a monkeys hand and is he a carpenter?) of course not. Unfortuneatley this is the way our industry is going, im sad to say. When I went to school back in 1982, I never thought my ability as a semi-professional would revolve around CSTATS or sales dollar volume or how much of this you sold. To be honest with you im very disapointed with the business and considering going back into HVAC where ya make a good buck and have nights and weekends off. Good conversing with you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Right now N.Y. has a shortage of Opticians. The W.M.'s are right now in N.Y hiring at an average going rate of $25.00 per hour. If the Doc's want to keep there help they will have to start paying. Or they can go the tried and true way of hiring stylists ( tongue in cheek ). As I have said many times before and no one has given me proof to say I m wrong is, DOC'S don't pay well, never have and never will because they don't take our profession serious, they believe they are the bread winners and that we are the little dogs scrapping around the floor for a few crumbs. Just my 2 cents

Thread Information