Thread: Eye Exam

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Eye Exam

I just had my eyes examed and a refraction test done. The refraction test was done with a electronic instrument in which they still say "which is better 1 or 2". In the past this was done by the doctor with lenses. I guess I thought the electronic way was just to ball park and the lenses way was more exact.

Is this electronic way the new way or should they have done both?

The also took a photograph of my eye and charge me over my copay stating it is not covered by insurance. Is this reccommended?

Also, he wants to see me every year but my insurance only pays for every two years. I have no major items or concerns that should be monitored just poor eyesight. I just blow him off and go every two years. Should I go every year?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You should follow you doctor's advice. If you dont trust you doctor, find a new one.
    Paul:cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy
    You should follow you doctor's advice. If you dont trust you doctor, find a new one.
    I agree. Also the insurance company is there to make money and the less they have to spend on you (paying for an exam every 2 years versus 1) the more they get to put into their pocket.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Two points:

The insurance company and the government for that matter. You pay the insurance company, they use part of what you pay them for your benefits. The rest they keep. Except for catastrophic expenses you are probably better off without them (lower premiums) more money for expenses that could be devastating. Same is true with "Government money".

With some doctors a machine might do a better refraction. However as long as he recognizes disease, you gittin what he's good for.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 04-25-2006 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Spellin

Occupation
    maybe the doctor is trying to make more money by making the interval of return visits one year instead of two years? Does anyone know what the eye association says?

I don't change my oil every 3000 miles because jiffy lube says so. My Honda owners manual says every 6000 miles and the dealership confirms this is acceptable maintenance. Jiffy lube just wants more business

My main point of the post was my first two items anyway.

Thanks for you comments
    Last edited by obrien040362; 04-25-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Occupation
    Here is one answer. I am 44 and my son is 14. He recommend the same period for each of us.

http://www.montefiore.org/healthlibr...ult/eye/exams/

I'm going to ask my family doctor what he reccomends

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We do an auto refractor test but it is just a starting point. Is what his doctor did something new and improved over the normal auto refractor? I have never heard of an eye exam without the normal "which is clearer, one or two?"

For some patients a yearly exam is important, some can go two years. Just because your insurance won't pay for it doesn't mean you shouldn't get it. My dental insurance only pays for two cleaning a year but I tend to get lots of plaque and tarter so I go three times and pay for the extra cleaning.

We recommend pictures and we have a form in which we ask the patient if he/she wants them. We clearly state the price and that it is not covered by insurance. With some patients the doctor will recommend them even if the patient had said he/she didn't want them based on what she finds during the exam.

Occupation
    happylady

thank you for your reply

They did do the "which one is clearer 1 or 2" but with an electronic instrument. I would see 5 letters with different boldness one eye at a time. I believe the other instrument that just ball parks you vision I think you look at some type of star shape (but can't remember) that comes in and out of focus. It sounds like you work for a doctor or are a doctor. Do you know the technical name of these instruments?

I just thought it was unusual they stoped the lenses method and ususual the doctor didn't do the procedure with the electronic instrument. I should of asked him. He spent about 5 minutes with me and most of that time was explaining the photos showed a health eye.

I really didn't want the photo but felt I would insult him If I refused. They were only $18.00.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by obrien040362
    They did do the "which one is clearer 1 or 2" but with an electronic instrument. I would see 5 letters with different boldness one eye at a time. I believe the other instrument that just ball parks you vision I think you look at some type of star shape (but can't remember) that comes in and out of focus. It sounds like you work for a doctor or are a doctor. Do you know the technical name of these instruments? I just thought it was unusual they stopped the lenses method and unusual the doctor didn't do the procedure with the electronic instrument. I should have asked him. .

The autorefractor is the name of the instrument that gives the doctor a "ballpark" starting point to check your prescription. The other electronic instrument you are describing where you were asked "which one is clearer 1 or 2" is an autophoropter which still uses lenses. As you state the examination was fast and this is due in large part to the computerization and automation. The benefit to the patient is less fatigue which translates to more reliable responses given to the doctor.

He spent about 5 minutes with me and most of that time was explaining the photos showed a health eye. I really didn't want the photo but felt I would insult him if I refused. They were only $18.00.

It sounds like your doctor gave you a thorough evaluation and he spent the time explaining your eye health. Photo documentation is a valuable diagnostic tool which allows comparisons year to year. Your internist has blood tests done annually and then keeps the report in your file for future reference. Think of the fundus photos the same way.

Also, he wants to see me every year but my insurance only pays for every two years. I have no major items or concerns that should be monitored just poor eyesight. I just blow him off and go every two years. Should I go every year?.

As it has already been pointed out, insurance companies pay every two years for fiscal reasons (to keep more profit and give fewer benefits). From your post you indicate that you are over 40 and it is typically recommended that over age 40 have annual examinations along with a dilated fundus exam. Your son is a teenager and there are frequent changes in prescriptions through age 30. Aside from prescription changes there are other visual health issues that should be checked annually.

Doc

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I don't change my oil every 3000 miles because jiffy lube says so. My Honda owners manual says every 6000 miles and the dealership confirms this is acceptable maintenance. Jiffy lube just wants more business
    Personally...if you want to keep your car a long time...I would change my oil every 3,000 miles. Soooo, if you want to keep your eyesight for a good long time...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I'm going to ask my family doctor what he reccomends

Why would you go to your family doctor for a second opinion ? Why not ask another eye doctor ?

Your analolgy with the oil change made sense. Honda knows the car better than Jiffy Lube. The eye doctor knows your eyes better than your family doctor. If you don't believe it, have the family doctor do the eye exam next time.

On the other hand...I can understand your suspicion, especially after seeing how the dental association has convinced the world their teeth will fall out if they are not cleaned every 6 months.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    About the every other year for an eye exam thing....

Many insurance HMOs only cover a ROUTINE exam every two years. This is billed using the vision codes.

If you have a medical complaint (burning eyes, itchy eyes, dry eyes, headaches, etc) you are covered whenever you have that complaint. Billing uses the medical codes.

If you are an HMO, you need a referral from your primary care for the medical code visit.

Hope this clarifys things.

Occupation
    That is a great point harry. I need to make sure they bill under a medical code. Since my last visit cost 134.20 and i doubt it is covered.

not to get off topic to the one post my last two vehicles I drove 166,000 miles on one and 170,000 miles on the other, change the oil every 8,000 to 12,000 miles and never had a engine problem, not one problem. I was very rough on my cars.

now my wife's car was a ford windstar and she change the oil every 4,000 to 5000 miles like clock work the engine blew a head gasket at 78,000 miles and i donated it to charity. But I know the oil has nothing to do with the head gasket. No more fords for me.

Thread Information