Thread: Sunglass Lense Problem

OptiBoard Novice

Sunglass Lense Problem

Hello all. This is my first post and I hope you can help me with a problem I'm having with my prescription sunglasses.
    I have a pair of polarized lenses with anti-reflective coating on them. The lense color is green. The problem I'm having is I notice what looks like a "smudge" in different areas around the outside edge of the lenses. This smudge or discoloration is noticible when looking through my sunglasses at different angles or when the sun is at a certain angle. This is the second pair of lenses I've had in my frames with the same result. The optical center I got them from said it's probably caused by the stress on the lense when their put in the frame.
    Has anybody else ever had this problem? Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help you could give me with this problem.

Thanks.

Jeff

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The optical center I got them ..................

Quote Originally Posted by niterider
    The optical center I got them from said it's probably caused by the stress on the lense when their put in the frame.
    Jeff
    You got yourself a fancy pair of glasses which have a sandwiched film in between 2 lenses, glued together and then coated with an AR coating maybe on one or even on both sides.

Actually it is not possible to tell you were the defccts are coming from through the internet without even seeing the job. There are too many possibilities.

Bring the back to your optical and tell them that for the money you paid you want a perfect pair of glasses.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by niterider
    Hello all. This is my first post and I hope you can help me with a problem I'm having with my prescription sunglasses.
    I have a pair of polarized lenses with anti-reflective coating on them. The lense color is green. The problem I'm having is I notice what looks like a "smudge" in different areas around the outside edge of the lenses. This smudge or discoloration is noticible when looking through my sunglasses at different angles or when the sun is at a certain angle. This is the second pair of lenses I've had in my frames with the same result. The optical center I got them from said it's probably caused by the stress on the lense when their put in the frame.
    Has anybody else ever had this problem? Any ideas? I'd appreciate any help you could give me with this problem.

Thanks.

Jeff

How long have you had these glasses?

Cindy

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    You got yourself a fancy pair of glasses which have a sandwiched film in between 2 lenses, glued together and then coated with an AR coating maybe on one or even on both sides.
    Not always the case, Chris. NuPolar lenses are injection molded. You're talking old technology.

The problem could be stress, and if so, they need to be remade. It's really difficult to assess the problem without seeing the glasses. What you're calling a smudge might me several things.

OptiBoard Novice
    Cinders, I've only had the glasses less than a month. In that time I've taken them back once to have the lenses replaced only to get the same problem with the new lenses. Wish I could show you guys the problem areas. I have more info on the lenses through: The lenses are S V Seiko 1.67 w/ AR, they also have backside AR coating and are Grey Polarized. Their a nice pair as Chris said, just wish my optical ctr. could get the lenses right. Maybe I'll try to see if I can capture the the problem areas in a photo and post it here for you all to see.

Jeff

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Where are you located in Wisconsin??

Occupation
    Sounds like your lenses are in the frame too tight, causing stress marks around the outer lens. Is the frame metal, plastic or grooved

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Thumbs up NuPolar lenses are injection ................

Quote Originally Posted by pbsE46
    Not always the case, Chris. NuPolar lenses are injection molded. You're talking old technology.
    Thanks...............have not really followed the developments in polaroid lenses. Will have to update myself in this area.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Polarized Lenses

niterider
    The lenses are S V Seiko 1.67 w/ AR, they also have backside AR coating and are Grey Polarized.
    You must not have something exactly right with your discription of what you have. Seiko does not make a 1.67 polarized product. They make a Transisions version of their 1.67 but not polarized.

It is as others have said impossible for anyone here to help you without seeing the sunglasses.

If the retailers has this printed on your receipt then they have made a mistake.

OptiBoard Novice
    Guys, I was able to get a picture of the smudges or probably the stress on the lenses. Take a look and tell me what you all think in the attached picture.

To answer all your questions since my last post; Jacqui, I live in a suburb of Milwaukee. Lab Fly, the frame is metal. AWTECH, thanks for the info on the lenses. It is marked that on my invoice from the optical center who did my glasses. I'll have to ask them about that.

Hope the picture helps. I have a feeling pbsE46 and Lab Fly are right about the stress on the lenses. Can this be removed by grounding down the lenses so there is less stress on them when their put back in the frame...or are the lenses going to have to be replaced again?

I thank all of you who have replyed so far, for your help! It's great to bounce this problem off some people who know! I'll reply back again soon.

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0463.JPG  

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

See my copy of your photo with red circles

Niterider:
    Guys, I was able to get a picture of the smudges or probably the stress on the lenses. Take a look and tell me what you all think in the attached picture.
    I have attached your image with 4 red circles. Are these the smudges you are talking about?

These look like frame stress combined with general Polycarbonate stress. My guess is that this is a polycarbonate lens.

I am almost sure these are not a 1.67 material and as I said before Seiko does not offer a polarized 1.67 lens.

Based on your representations of the situation the Optical center has made a mistake or attempted to charge for something that was not delivered.

Please private message me or e-mail and I will comment further. I would like to find out what you paid etc., but this forum is to be used for pricing information discussions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0463A.JPG  

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once had some glass polarized lenses that did the same thing after I left them on my boat for a week. Delanimation + water absorbtion was the cause.

Chip

Occupation
    That is definetely stress from the lenses being too tight in the frame. This will happen on all materials. Cr-39, poly mid and hi index. This is repairable by doing some careful hand edging after the lenses have been out of the frame for about half a day. Another cause can be from small burrs or imperfections in the frame but this is repairable also. Find a good optician and they will be able to help

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by lab fly
    That is definetely stress from the lenses being too tight in the frame. This will happen on all materials. Cr-39, poly mid and hi index. This is repairable by doing some careful hand edging after the lenses have been out of the frame for about half a day. Another cause can be from small burrs or imperfections in the frame but this is repairable also. Find a good optician and they will be able to help
    100% correct

OptiBoard Novice
    Lab Fly, pbsE46, Chip & AWTECH...thank you guys so much for your help!!! I'm going to take the glasses back this weekend and have them take care of the lense stress problem and also check the frame for any burrs or imperfections. I'm going to give them one last try or else I'm getting my money back! I'll keep the thread going and let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

1.67 Seiko Polarized? (Not on the market)

Jeff;

If you have a receipt stating that the lenses are Seiko 1.67 polarized, I am curious how they respond.

OptiBoard Novice
    Hello all.

Well I took my glasses back yesterday. They are going to hand edge the lenses and check the frame out too. I'll let you know how they turn out.

I also need to make a correction. I said that they had put SV Seiko 1.67 lenses in my sunglasses. I was wrong. They put those lenses in my regular glasses. My sunglasses have Single Vision Mid 1.56 plastic lenses. AWTECH sorry about the mixup. Lense newbie here!

Anyway...I'll keep you guys informed.

Jeff

OptiBoard Novice
    Hello all!

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread. Well....I guess the fourth time is the charm! They finally got my lenses right with no stress marks that I can see. Don't know if I'll be going back to this place in the future...although I must say everyone there was incredibly helpful!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my problem, I now know more about prescription sunglasses then I ever thought I would!

Thank you all very much for your help! I appreciate it very much!

Jeff

Thread Information