Thread: Why does Zeiss show optician taking digital photo of patient eyes for glass fitting?

OptiBoard Novice

Why does Zeiss show optician taking digital photo of patient eyes for glass fitting?

Why does Zeiss show this optician taking a digital photo of patient's eyes for glass fitting?

Below is the Zeiss(Germany) site in English. Click the bottom
    right picture, with the man wearing a vest sitting in front of
    a computer monitor. (fitting glasses)

http://www.zeiss.de/4125680f0053a38d...2570900039b498

I've never see optians in real life do that.... yet... ? :)

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    It is a digital measurement and centration system developed by Zeiss. The system employs a digital camera and computerized measurement system. The system captures both frontal and profile images of the patient wearing the selected frame. These images are then processed by software that identifies the monocular interpupillary distances, fitting heights, lens tilt, lens wrap, and vertex distance—automatically. These measurement results are then displayed along with the captured images for evaluation by you and/or your patient. The measurements are accurate to 0.1 mm, and eliminate systematic measurements errors such as parallax.

You can use the system as an "enhanced mirror" as well, since it captures and displays up to four images of the wearer in his or her frame. It also includes various interactive lens demonstrations. The system is used primarily in Europe right now, though it will eventually be introduced to the United States. There is currently no timeline for the US introduction though.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am sure that Zeiss had the system in place way before I thought of it, but it sounds like the same idea I floated out there about using a digital camera to measure tilt.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper I am sure that Zeiss had the system in place way ..............

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling
    I am sure that Zeiss had the system in place way before I thought of it,
    Another step forward towards the goal of eliminating qualified opticians and domination of the optical market by the large corporations.

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Another step forward towards the goal of eliminating qualified opticians and domination of the optical market by the large corporations.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Chris, If you honestly believe that lens manufacturers want to eliminate qualified opticians, the market segment that often most appreciates our products, you haven't been paying very much attention. Zeiss's system is used to take precise (and often difficult) measurements for free-form progressive lenses, which represent a very sophisticated product. Besides, on a personal note, I would argue that unqualified opticians are eliminating "qualified" opticians without any help from anyone else.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    I am sure that Zeiss had the system in place way before I thought of it, but it sounds like the same idea I floated out there about using a digital camera to measure tilt.
    Harry, If it makes you feel any better, the original Zeiss Video Infral system was developed many years ago in Germany.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Besides, on a personal note....................

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister
    Besides, on a personal note, I would argue that unqualified opticians are eliminating "qualified" opticians without any help from anyone else.
    Darryl, I have to agree on that point..............but feel sorry that it's happening.

The other point should actually be re-worded, as saying that the more automatised instrumentation that is coming on the market will encourage an optical retail business to exist without the need of qualified opticians.

Automatic measurements, processing and forwarding to a lab who does the work and sends it back to store where a hired hand can do an adjsutment and collect the payment.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Chris, the measurements that this system captures include measurements that are difficult for even highly trained opticians to take accurately. For instance, the system determines the vertex distance, pantoscopic tilt, and wrap angle, which would otherwise be difficult to measure in practice (and would generall require additional tools). The system also has several other features designed to complement a qualified optician's expertise, not replace it. Keep in mind that this system is used pimarily in Germany right now, where most opticians already have considerably more training.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Automatic measurements, processing and forwarding to a lab who does the work and sends it back to store where a hired hand can do an adjsutment and collect the payment.
    I should add that most of the mid- to larger-size laboratories in the United States also use quite a bit of automation, themselves. Some have nearly removed the human element from the surfacing production line altogether.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel your pain Chris, I commented to a prospective client today that I feel like a dinosaur-- old school trained dispensing optician....... BUT we must embrace the cutting edge technology we've seen come to fruition in our industry. Not just in opticianry, but look at the incredible advancements in ophthalmic surgery, look at lens processing technology, gee whiz, they're putting mp3's in sunglasses these days......... I know I don't want to ever see another pair of aphakic eyeglass lenses.......... My point is there will always be a need for qualified optical people. You just have to be willing to re-invent yourself along with technology. That's all. I know I have.

Marcie Patten

Bad address email on file pbsE46's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Heck, if it wasn't for computers we wouldn't be able to offer free form progressives. I'm all for it.

Thread Information