Thread: Eyewear For Pilots

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Eyewear For Pilots

On April 20, 2006 I read a post entitled “Progressives for pilots; other questions to ask?” (http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16855&highlight=pilot) and prepared a learned dissertation on the subject of eyewear for pilots and other flight deck personnel. Imagine my disappointment when I went to post it and found the thread had been closed. Well if you think I am going to just delete this post you are nuts. Here it is under it’s own thread.

I have been flying since 1955 and have been working in the eye care field since 1969. I have over 7000 hours of flight time both military and civilian. I have a moderate degree of simple hyperopic astigmatism. Until I retired from the eye care vineyard four years ago I have worn every multifocal product on the market. I have found only two solutions to my visual needs while flying and I will confine my remarks to that task only. I will also add that I have presented this solution to many others who I share the air space with and they all agree that this is the best way to go.

First of all, the visual needs on the flight deck/cockpit are quite unique. In particular, all aviators must develop and maintain a scan of the flight instruments without any head movement. Moving the head from side to side or up and down can induce vertigo and possible disorientation which, under instrument conditions can lead to dire consequences. It is quite possible too that body movements may be restricted by seat restraints.

Secondly, there are times when both hands and feet are quite busy and trying to reposition the glasses can really make things interesting.

Third, the environment on each aircraft is different, that is to say, some aircraft have stuff overhead at 12” or down on the deck at 30” and don’t you know, lighting is not always the greatest.

So what conclusions can we draw from these factors? First of all, the flight crew member should have a pair of glasses for each type of aircraft that he flies. And secondly, the lenses are going to have to do all of the work. No repositioning or head movements allowed.

Therefore, to properly fit this eyewear the optician should have the frame that the pilot is going to use with demo lenses installed. He should have a tape measure, a china marker, a roll of electricians tape and, of course, his trusty PD stick. With all of this paraphernalia in hand he should meet the pilot at the airport and proceed to the pilots aircraft.

Have the pilot assume his normal seat position and with his head pretty much stationary in a comfortable and normal position start measuring distances and heights on the demo lenses. I then like to put black electrical tape on the lenses and have the pilot check these heights.

Now, you have to realize that you are not going to find a lens that will meet the requirements of your measurements so you are going to have to make accommodations. These accommodations should be based of flight safety considerations and flight safety alone.

Of prime importance is distance vision. It is the pilots responsibility to see and avoid other air traffic and a mid air passenger exchange followed by aluminum rain can really ruin your day. So, shoot first for unencumbered distance correction from the top of the panel up to the top of the windscreen.

The lens selection for the presbyope will be determined by the pilots degree of presbyopia and amplitude of accommodation. If the pilot can comfortably read a chart or approach plate and see the panel a bifocal is indicated. If a trifocal is indicated select the power of the add to give sharpest vision through the intermediate on the panel – let the reading add “fall where it may” as the panel is more important than the chart. Check this all out under poor lighting conditions as most night flying is accomplished with very dim red cockpit lighting. It there are circuit breakers or any other switches, gauges, dials overhead an occupational bifocal/trifocal will be the lens of choice.

What about tints? This again is an individual decision. You should bear in mind though that frequently we fly in bright sunlight but the panel is in relative shade and can at times be surprisingly dark. And, quite often we find ourselves transitioning from direct sunlight to dense clouds and torrential rains. With this in mind I rule out photochromics. I am also not a big fan of solid tints due to the contrast between high ad low light situations.

Many aircraft have grey polarized sun visors which can offer complete coverage and if the aircraft in question has them I see no point of any further consideration of tints. I personally have a pair of CR39 flat top trifocals in the Meridian (no sunvisor) that I have tinted dark grey from the top of the intermediate on up and clear below that. It works wicked good and every pilot that I meet wants a pair.

I am sure that you have noticed that I have not mentioned progressive lenses. Based on my personal experience and the experience of a lot of flying colleagues these lenses have no place on the flight deck. My spectacle lenses of choice are either flat tops or execs, in glass if you can get them.

What an order. Perhaps Dick has made a mountain out of a mole hill. Many hyperopes are flying around with store bought reading glasses pushed way up high – hey how about a monocle. I have just put down some stuff for you to think about.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Based on my personal experience and the experience

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker
    I am sure that you have noticed that I have not mentioned progressive lenses. Based on my personal experience and the experience of a lot of flying colleagues these lenses have no place on the flight deck. My spectacle lenses of choice are either flat tops or execs, in glass if you can get them.
    Very interesting.....................having checked a few years go with AIR Canada and was told that their pilots have articles in their manuals that deal with glasses and sunglasses. For example they are insisting on the Bausch Lomb color G15 as the pnly color a pilot should wear.

Wonder if other airlines have similar regulations.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    thanks for the post, one of the most informative i have read.
    as a pilot and a veteran optician of 22 years i very much enjoyed this.
    thanks again

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    That was awesome. It is going straight into my training manual for new staff, and will be posted for all current staff to read. This is the most informative, practical thing I've read in ages. Anything else you wanna dissect, please.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Back in the day there used to be a Varilux Pilot lens that was a varifocal with a round seg bifocal at the top sold a few as well.... to pilots:)

Bad address email on file Karlen McLean's Avatar
    Occupation

Differences

I've found in researching this topic that every country, branch of the services, and airlines have their own regulations. Most disallow polarized lenses, citing safety issues as the reason. Even the private pilots association has a stance on eyewear, if I remember rightly. If you're going to fly and you're concered about your vision/eyewear, check with your local flight agencies for the rules and regs that may apply to you. You can also research various entities on the Internet.

Occupation
    I have many folks who are not pilots who would love the Pilot (or Overview, as it was once also called) to come back. These are people who are very used to their progressives but are mechanics, plumbers, electricians etc. I wish we had it back! And from what I'm told, it's the visual effect polarized lenses cause when looking through Perspex canopies which makes it unsafe for many pilots. Is that true? I notice when I wear polarized lenses that I get weird effects when looking at certain windows or car windshields.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've been flying since '74 and now own an air ambulance company as well as a wholesale lab and retail store. My progressives are great in the cockpit. I've tried many different multifocals but none that gave me distance, near and a full range of intermediate for looking over to the right side of the panel. I have two other pilots who fly for me and they both wear progressives too. 2 or 3 focal points just don't cut it.

Many say that polarized lenses are not good in the cockpit because they block out a few pieces of equipment that have a polarized filter on their screens. Turn your head about 15 degrees and everything looks fine. The only instruments that get blocked are not critical to flight. I wear the melanin polarized progressives and they are great.

Bill Belanger

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by loncoa
    And from what I'm told, it's the visual effect polarized lenses cause when looking through Perspex canopies which makes it unsafe for many pilots. Is that true? I notice when I wear polarized lenses that I get weird effects when looking at certain windows or car windshields.
    I think thats stress markes in the glass. crossed Polarised filters are also used to check stress marks in opthalmic lenses and in the past toughened glass.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

question for pilots

i have a patient ( a pilot ) who wants a sun clip. he does not want a seperate pair of glasses and wants a specific type of clip we carry where a magnet is drilled into the lens and a polarized clip is made custom for the frame. he likes these because they are so easy to take on and off and aren't bulky like some others. they only come polarized.

i was going to get some blanks, with the 180 marked, and have him turn them to where they don't bother him with his equipment and windshield. this was recommended to me by the owner of the clip company.

is there a regulation against this, since they are still polarized lenses. my doctor says yes, the patient doesn't think so, and really wants the clips.

also, how well do you think this would work. if you are a pilot, do you turn your head often, and will this be bothersome? thoughts, opinions?
    Laurie Trok, ABOC:)

-the former WHVISIONLAURIE

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Polarized + Pilot = Absolutely NO! No if, ands, or buts about it - NO! The FAA doesn't has a specific regulation against pilots wearing polarized lenses in the cockpit. But their instruments have anti-glare coatings that are polarized not to mention the cockpit windscreen is made of polycarbonate - a polarized filter will show the stress striations in the material. Pilots also are taught what is called "see-an-avoid' traffic situations. They rely on reflections off the wings of other planes to determine it's trajectory.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

i figured

i figured as much. it didn't sound like a great idea. i think i'm going to end up putting him in a magnetic clip frame (nonpolarized), the kind that clip on the front and light as possible.

thanks.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ben Told that commercial pilots have polarized windshields=polarized lenses being a no-no. Private small aircraft do not have polarized windshields and most of the instruments (like us fishermen's sonars) have been improved (or are simple dial indicators) where polarized lenses are O.K.
    I am not a pilot but have several for patients and this is what has been relayed to me.

Chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

just to clarify

the idea is that he could figure out what axis reverses the polarization effect and the lenses would be then cut at that axis. he explained this to me, saying he had done it before, but it still doesn't seem quite right to me. i know for sure that polarization with a polarized windshield is a no no, but i wasn't sure if his idea would completely negate this or not. i re read my post and i didn't explain this very well.

but i'd rather err on the safe side on this one....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Of prime importance is distance vision. It is the pilots responsibility to see and avoid other air traffic and a mid air passenger exchange followed by aluminum rain can really ruin your day.
    In view of this point, I can only hope that there is a protocol specified for the refraction as well. The reference 20/20 testing distance (and it's poor cousin, the folded 10 foot refracting lane) will not optimize any pilot's distance vision.

my two cents...

Barry Santini, ABOM

Occupation

spectacles for Aviators.............

Prescribing Spectacles for Aviators

John F. Kent, O. D., F.A.A.O.
    There is a popular saying from World War II that states: "A pilot's eyes are his finest weapon!" Even today, in this age of radar, imaging infrared systems, head-up displays, and air traffic control, a pilot's eyes are still "his finest weapon". With the graying of the baby boom generation, more pilots today are flying with spectacles or contact lenses. A significant percentage of these pilots are over forty years of age and require bifocal spectacles to function effectively. Today's optometrists play a crucial role in ensuring that these pilots are provided with the proper visual correction they need to function efficiently.
    A majority of the pilots who require spectacles for flying will wear single vision spectacles. A thorough eye examination is the first step in properly prescribing aircrew single vision spectacles. A detailed case history should be taken which includes the type of aircraft the aviator flies and the crew position. An accurate refraction is essential for top visual efficiency and the optometrist should be careful not to over-plus or over-minus the patient...............................................

Read whole story.......................http://www.aoa.org/x5354.xml

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Another pearl on the subject

I have also been told that those that operate amphibious airplanes need to be able to evaluate reflections, similar story of those who operate in snow and ice. Polarized lenses appearently interfere with the pilot's ability to evaluate this.

Chip

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Polarizes.................

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Polarized lenses appearently interfere with the pilot's ability to evaluate this.
    Chip

Polarized lenses while well liked do block out a certain parts of light from going through the lens.

Same goes for blue blocking lenses they also block a part.

This is why most airline manuals request the pilots to wear neutral Grey lenses.

The same goes for the US Navy,Marines and Coastguard which uses just about exclusively a black color with a very straight transmission curve for their Pilots glasses.

Occupation

Why grey lenses?

An additional requirement on the flight deck is the ability to accurately discern colors under a wide variety of light conditions. A neutral grey lens color offers the best color perception if a tint must be worn. Sectional charts and IFR Enroute charts, utilize color to convey vital flight information.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    An additional requirement on the flight deck is the ability to accurately discern colors under a wide variety of lighting conditions. A neutral grey offers the best color perception if tinted lenses must be worn. Sectional charts and IFR Enroute charts use color to convey vital flight information.
    That jogged my memory. Some years ago I was involved in certain NASA and Defense Department projects where the human factors engineers were concerned about what could happen if a person with one of the varieties of color blindness were positioned in front of an instrument panel or other operator or control station. I think that one of the projects had very strict rules for the human interface designers - "color options are not to be relied upon to convey visual information at critical control stations".

In other words, whatever schemes they came up with, it was supposed to convey 100 percent of the visual information to someone who can only distinguish between a background display (white or pale field) and a foreground display (black or dark field) - like the text that you are reading at this very moment vs. the background of whatever OptiBoard color scheme that you selected. Or it could be the other way around - dark background, light foreground - as it is for users of the OptiBoard Red forum skin, who see white colored text against a dark red background field.

If anyone is a student, this might be a good topic to research as part of their curriculum requirements:

Accommodating human factors engineering requirements to the possibilities of color blindness.

DragonLensmanWV is just the latest OptiBoard member to relive the zany years of the Reagan presidency by visiting Theirs is a scandal that deserves to be told ... Is it your turn?
    Last edited by rinselberg; 03-02-2007 at 05:08 AM.

Thread Information