Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Polycarbonate or Trivex?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geez: Think of the hour of use cost with glass.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical
    LoL! And to think all of this got 'started' because someone thought I was 'over-selling'. LoL. Commisions.... LoL.

365 (days) x 10.5 (hours worn per day) x 2 (years of use) = 7,665 HOURS!

$104.00 (dollars paid) / 7,665 (hours of use) = $0.01 PER HOUR OF USE!

Wow! That was some serious overselling... LoL. What do we pay for a minute of talk time on a cell phone? How about for an hour of parking in a large city? To be honest, I am hard pressed to believe there are many products available that you can say cost $0.01 per hour to operate and own over a two year period. Overselling? I still can't stop smiling.

Consider this: 19 Gallons to fill my truck @ $2.94 per gallon = $55.86. Instead of a tank of gas that will last me 320 miles I could have a great pair of TRIVEX AR Coated lenses for almost 1 1/2 years!

I really think those of you that are 'against' any kind of additional options/features/benefits being presented to patients have to check yourselves. If it is so evil for Opticians to present options/upgrades, then what does that make the Optician that does not present options/upgrades?

Adam

$0.01 per hour....
    Cool breakdown.

Factor in the price of my frame ($1200) and you're in a whole different ballpark, though.

And as far as overselling goes...the Optometrist I purchased the frames from wanted to sell me SPHERICAL TRIVEX with the cheap crizal coating for $335. Uh...yeah right.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Sure glad you cleared up poor old JRAWKER’s question. By the time all of you experts reach a consensus in this senseless debate he will probably need a multifocal and then the real debate can begin.

Ye Gods, “airbags,” “lawn mowing,” “throwing things” (probably rocks,) “household cleaners,” “finger nail polish remover,” “broken blades!” “jagged piece of steel, or Titanium, stuck in your eye,” and even if you can imagine the horror, lenses that could “EXPLODE!!! ... IN YOUR EYE!!! ”

How many more must go blind, Mr. Speaker, how many more.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

If it is so evil for Opticians.........................

If it is so evil for Opticians to present options/upgrades, then what does that make the Optician that does not present options/upgrades?
    Adam

..........actually not evil at all. The optician that starts at the bottom line and offers upgrades is the guy or the girl that knows their business and materials and practical means to achieve the upgrade inside out. Those are the ones that show confidence in their profession and merit success.................

versus

...........the one that does the opposite by showing only solutions that bring the most turnover, easy sales, and higher profit. I classify them as greedy.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson
    Geez: Think of the hour of use cost with glass.
    Hmm. I am not exactly sure you have been keeping up-to-date on glass lens prices. Wholesale glass lens prices continue to rise, to the point where most clinics should be charging very close to the same price for glass as they do for higher index (poly/trivex) materials. The clinics that have not raised their price are most definately seeing a loss in profitability on glass lenses.

Adam
    Last edited by Cherry Optical; 04-30-2006 at 03:17 PM. Reason: spelling

Occupation

Big Smile Wholesale glass lens prices continue to rise...............

Wholesale glass lens prices continue to rise, to the point where most clinics should be charging very close to the same price for glass as they do for higher index (poly/trivex) materials.
    Adam
    Actually poly should be a lot cheaper than it is......................considering that a moulding machine spits out a rack of 4 or 6 lenses every few seconds and then goes fully automatic into a hardcoat bath.

Poly lenses are not different from any other poly article made in a injection molding machine.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    ..........actually not evil at all. The optician that starts at the bottom line and offers upgrades is the guy or the girl that knows their business and materials and practical means to achieve the upgrade inside out. Those are the ones that show confidence in their profession and merit success.................

versus

...........the one that does the opposite by showing only solutions that bring the most turnover, easy sales, and higher profit. I classify them as greedy.
    Chris:

Just so that I am following your logic correctly:

It is evil to top down sell?

As in, "For your prescription, in the frame type you have selected, with the lifestyle that you lead, I would recommend XYZ material with XYZ coating and here is why........."

It is more professional to 'add-on' options?

As in, "For your prescription, in the frame type you have selected, with the lifestyle that you lead, all you really need is a plastic or glass lens material with no coatings. However, I would recommend upgrading to a XYZ material and strongly suggest adding XYZ coating/treatment."

The way I see it there are really only two ways to present a lens option to a patient. One, is you use your professional judgement as a dispensing Optician to select and recommend a lens that you know will, at the very least, meet the patients expectations. Two, you qoute them a low ball price on a POS lens, beg and plead for them to at least consider AR, and then prepair for them to complain when (like many consumers) they go with the lowest price lens you qoute them and have problems.

I know this is way 'off-topic' but perhaps I am missing something. What exactly is the role of the Optician if not to select the very best lens option for the patient, fit it properly, and stand behind the product and lens choice? It seems to me that if we followed Chris' idea of an 'ethical' Optician we would do nothing other than be there to bend temples and hand out pamplets on lens options.

My personal opinion is that Chris has some vandeta against Opticians or the optical industry as a whole to make such bogus arguements as he has been doing on this thread. Perhaps if there was some way to use his chemical produts in these secanrios he would change his mind.

Adam

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JRAWKER
    Cool breakdown.

Factor in the price of my frame ($1200) and you're in a whole different ballpark, though.

And as far as overselling goes...the Optometrist I purchased the frames from wanted to sell me SPHERICAL TRIVEX with the cheap crizal coating for $335. Uh...yeah right.
    If you are spending $1200.00 on a frame, what are you worried about? Odds are they are suggesting the TRIVEX lens do to a particular style of frame you have selected. Perhaps a metal groove, rimless mount, drilled rimless mount, or just the fact that they know if you purchase a TRIVEX lens you will never have to worry about it chipping or cracking.

I really have no idea why they selected that lens option for you, but if they didn't explain why, they did a bad job, and if you didn't ask why, you did a bad job.

Adam

Occupation

Redhot Jumper My personal opinion is............................

My personal opinion is that Chris has some vandeta against Opticians or the optical industry as a whole to make such bogus arguements as he has been doing on this thread. Adam
    I dont want to make a long statement on above quote as time is short this early morning...........................

Either, if you have learned a profession from ground zero on up or you learned through schooling and years of expirience, you will be qualified to make a good judgement. I am lucky to have aquired all these points over the last 50 years I have worked and made a living in the optical field.

There is no vendetta against opticians nor the optical industry, but there is critisism on the basic values of selling products to consumers of which many opticians have not the foggiest idea about of what they are or can do, how they are made......besides of what they have learned from sales reps or through advertising,

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I really have no idea why they selected that lens option for you, but if they didn't explain why, they did a bad job, and if you didn't ask why, you did a bad job.
    As I previously stated, it's a (drilled) rimless mount.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Okay folks, this has been a ridiculously agonizing experience.

I got a call from the store today informing me that they've contacted the labs and that they're unable to put Crizal on Trivex lenses, despite the assurances of the doctor. Whatever. Retard.

Anyway, I'm going with an aspheric polycarbonate with Crizal D'Alize.

Hopefully nothing else will go wrong? :-\

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    THere are several other wonderful ARC brands besides the Alize that can be applied.

Many of the manufacturers/developers of theses coatings have an approved list of brands/materials that it will work with. Since it is a stack process, if the existing hard coat on the lens is one that their coating doesn't adhere to well, then they will be receiving numerous remakes, and get a bad reputation.

Some labs are able to remove the existing hard coat, to apply one that does match, or use a non coated lens to start. I can tell you that Essilor who makes the Crizal family of coatings is not on the Trivex bandwagon, and has not formulated their coating to specifically work with it.

However, there are other quality coatings that will work. Hoya and Zeiss also make excellent coatings.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation

Redhot Jumper they're unable to put Crizal on Trivex lenses......................

I got a call from the store today informing me that they've contacted the labs and that they're unable to put Crizal on Trivex lenses, despite the assurances of the doctor. Whatever. Retard.
    Essilor has no deal for trivex so they wont do it.....................part of commercial politics.

However there are many good labs that can do AR coatings.................and by the way the Alize type slick coating you can apply yourself on top of any AR coated lens as well as on any un-coated lens as well.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I got a call from the store today informing me that they've contacted the labs and that they're unable to put Crizal on Trivex lenses,\
    However, there are other quality coatings that will work. Hoya and Zeiss also make excellent coatings.

Cassandra
    Correct. Zeiss's Carat Advantage and Hoya's Super Hi-Vision, both functionally equivalent to Essilor's Crizal Alize, can be put on the aspheric Trivex material.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro
    Correct. Zeiss's Carat Advantage and Hoya's Super Hi-Vision, both functionally equivalent to Essilor's Crizal Alize, can be put on the aspheric Trivex material.

I would've gone with Hoya's Super Hi-Vision but apparently they couldn't put that on their either!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Super HiVision is compatible with HOYA's branded Trivex (Phoenix). It is, however, not compatible with other branded Trivex products due to coating adhesion concerns. Not every dispenser, however, does business with a HOYA distributor lab, so not every dispenser uses Super HiVision. It sounds to me like your dispenser doesn't prefer to purchase HOYA products from their lab of choice, and so steered you into other choices.

In this instance, the particulars of your dispenser's business relationships with their lab(s) is what ultimately decided what product you purchased.
    RT

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Okay folks, this has been a ridiculously agonizing experience.

Anyway, I'm going with an aspheric polycarbonate with Crizal D'Alize.

Hopefully nothing else will go wrong? :-\
    Hmmm......

I can see they are not working with a truely Indepedent Lab who educates their customers on product availability.

HOYA Phoenix: TRIVEX with Super HiVision (includes View Protect)

That would have been my recommendation.

Good luck,

Adam

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser
    Essilor has no deal for trivex so they wont do it.....................part of commercial politics.
    By 'politics' Chris means that Essilor owns Gentex.

At the Essilor NSM they did make mention of putting Crizal and Alize' on single vision TRIVEX product.

Adam
    Last edited by Cherry Optical; 05-07-2006 at 09:30 AM.

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by RT
    Super HiVision is compatible with HOYA's branded Trivex (Phoenix). It is, however, not compatible with other branded Trivex products due to coating adhesion concerns. Not every dispenser, however, does business with a HOYA distributor lab, so not every dispenser uses Super HiVision. It sounds to me like your dispenser doesn't prefer to purchase HOYA products from their lab of choice, and so steered you into other choices.

In this instance, the particulars of your dispenser's business relationships with their lab(s) is what ultimately decided what product you purchased.
    I'd prefer to say they have been brain washed by essilor.....

Then again I haven't been on the golf course for a few days.

Adam

Occupation

At the Essilor NSM they did make mention...................

+
    At the Essilor NSM they did make mention of putting Crizal and Alize' on single vision TRIVEX product.
    Adam
    And why should they not......................its another job done with some good revenue and profit. You can even apply an ALIZE type top coat yourself. and save the money.

Thread Information