Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Astronomy Anyone?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Astronomy Anyone?

After a lifelong interest in Astromony but never doing a thing about it I finally decided to go into it with the best equipment I could afford. Anyone else doing Astronomy?

Here's my new telescope:

http://meade.telescopes.com/products...ngs-43528.html

The scope itself is kind of a monster. It weights 65 lbs.

It's also American-made. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations! Arizona must be perfect for viewing. To much light here in the Northeast, to say nothing of the clouds.Have fun with it! hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only thing I know about telescopes was when we sold them at Christmas. Does it have a clock drive so that it follows with the earth's rotation? The astro people felt that was prized above all else!
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    We visit a good friend in Tubac, AZ and the viewing there is awsome from his place. He is out near Patagonia and you can only see the lights of three houses many miles away. He ground a 12" mirror and built his own. If we had sky conditions in the Northeast and Northwest like you have in Arizona everyone would have a telescope.

Best thing in the world is to watch the face of a grandchild during their first view of the heavens.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Wisconsin has terrible conditions for watching, wish I were back in Nebraska or Wyoming where it's clear and dark.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    whoa... that is one machine. enjoy your new adventure!

Occupation
    I too have a Meade. But just a simple ETX 125, not the big boy like yours. Had not had a scope in many years, but after being transferred to TX, thought it might be fun. I'm usually outside several times per week. Since I live in Denton, not Dallas, I'm away from most of the urban lights.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Hamlin
    Does it have a clock drive so that it follows with the earth's rotation? The astro people felt that was prized above all else!
    Yep, it has a built-in GPS, level and compass so it automatically aligns itself. After that all you need to do is choose one of the objects you want to see from a built-in database 145,000 objects. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation

Very cool!!

The only thing I remember about telescopes is that my Dad made one when we were stationed in Germany. My brother and I were just getting interested in girls and that's what we used it for. If we'd had a monster like this though we'd probably been arrested!
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've always had a bit of interest, but no time, money ect. There is a "blackout" park just outside my town just for amateur astronomers though, so I may just drop by sometime. Seen the "horsehead" yet?

Occupation
    The Horsehead Nebula is not visible right now and won't be for several months. I've seen the Great Orion Nebula (also no longer visible) and the Ring Nebula.

Next step - astrophotography.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

If you get some cool photos, maybe you can post on the board. One of astronomies greatest pioneers in deep space long- exposure photography started as a mule driver who kept bothering the astronomers at an observatory for a job. Eventually they gave him a job sweeping floors, then went on to take photos of the most distant objects in the universe. (so maybe you better try driving mules first?):cheers:

Occupation
    Well I'm going to ry and photograph the Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 tonight which shhould be very close to the Ring Nebula. I'll have to be up way past midnight to have a chance to get any good shots though.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    no telescope, but after visiting NY I look up and appreciate our skies here in AZ even more than I ever did before!

Congratulations on the new telescope.

Occupation
    Okay, I guess I'm hooked. I've bought 4 telescopes in the last few weeks and now I'm saving up for this one:

http://televue.telescopes.com/produc...ope-43326.html

Anyone want to donate to the fund? ;)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    [QUOTE=Steve Machol]Okay, I guess I'm hooked. I've bought 4 telescopes in the last few weeks and now I'm saving up for this one:QUOTE]

You're right, you're an ADDICT :) :) :) But there is a 12 step group for this :D :D :D

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    First, its good to see your consulting is obviously going well (wow, expensive hobby)!!! :) Congrats!

Second, I have always wanted to dabble in astronomy as well- I requested a telescope for Christmas when I was 10, but Santa brought a microscope instead (which was fun as well, but...).

Finally, JR- would LOVE to come up and gaze through your scope some day if its convenient! We are a couple miles south of you, but- having recently built my deck out back- I've noticed we see a lot more stars here than in Tampa.

The only feature I'm able to instantly find on any given night is Orion's Belt- it's always been my favorite group of stars, and- I know it sounds odd- but those three aligned stars have provided many a comforting moment when the rest of the world seemed in disarray.
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Oh heck, I'm really proud of my deck (which I designed and built in a weekend)- so I figured I'd attach some pics. Just as an FYI, the "Trek-Dek" stuff (this is actually a similar product sold at Lowe's) is just an AWESOME decking material- no staining or painting, and its a breeze to cut and fasten).

...but who would have thought you could get a sunburn in March?!? Dallas is apparently in the Sun Belt!

So, I have a great mounting location for a scope now- guess that will have to be next year's bonus!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    First, its good to see your consulting is obviously going well (wow, expensive hobby)!!! :) Congrats!
    Yeah. I'm afraid I've probably spent too much already.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin
    The only feature I'm able to instantly find on any given night is Orion's Belt- it's always been my favorite group of stars, and- I know it sounds odd- but those three aligned stars have provided many a comforting moment when the rest of the world seemed in disarray.
    You've just got to see the Great Orion Nebula through a decent scope and under dark skies with no light pollution. But don't let the colors in photos of this and Nebulas deceive you. The eye is not sensitive enough to the reds and oranges. These colors only come out in astrophotos.

Also Jupiter is the brightest object in the sky right now, ewxcept for the Moon and Sun of course. (Look to the Southwest in early evening.) You can even see the bands and it's four Galliean moons with a decent pair of binoculars.

Next month is the annual Grand Canyon Star Party. Marlena and I will be going to the North Rim which few people get to because it's about 200 miles farther away. We've lived in Arizona most our lives and neither of us have ever beeen to the North Rim. It's supposed to be one of the most scenis drives in the US. Looking forward to it. Also Mars and Saturn will be separated by only 0.5 degrees on June 17th which should be a great site in the telescope. :)

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol
    Yep, it has a built-in GPS, level and compass so it automatically aligns itself. After that all you need to do is choose one of the objects you want to see from a built-in database 145,000 objects. :)
    Here's a good site for those who have a telescope without a GPS

HEAVENS ABOVE

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    no opinion on astronomy, but the telescope cost as much as my last used car.

Occupation
    Thanks Sean. I had actually already joined that site and was using it to track Comet Schwassmann-Wachmann 3. You can also use it to track the times when the International Space Station will be visible in your area.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awesome, Steve!

Can you take pictures? I also wanted to build one but....can't get any better than this.

My goal after my daughter's wedding next June.

Bev

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Heishman
    Awesome, Steve!

Can you take pictures? I also wanted to build one but....can't get any better than this.

My goal after my daughter's wedding next June.

Bev
    It runrs out that Artophotograshy, especially the kind taken through the telescope, is far more complicated and difficult to do and learn than I would have imagined. For instance it's not uncommon to spend all night taking hondreds of pictures just to get one good one. And this only after considerable processing.

The pictures you see published are almost certainly produced by stacking multiple images (sometimes in the hundreds and each requiring long exposure times) which have been calibrated by 'dark frames', 'flats' and 'lights'. (See: http://www.saratogaskies.com/article...ook/index.html)

After a few false starts I've pulled back until I have all the tools and knowledge necessary to do this correctly.

For now, here's a few shots taken from Lake Pleasant north of Phoenix. This was during a near full moon and the brightest 'star' in some of the pics is actually Jupiter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Thread Information